[comp.sys.mac.system] ftp.apple.com

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (05/14/91)

Just to let everyone know, ftp.apple.com is up, but the permission bits are
still set so we can't get to the images.
This is as of 10:45 pm CDT.

  I'm allergic to .sigs, so you wont find one here!
Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

frain@cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (05/14/91)

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:

>Just to let everyone know, ftp.apple.com is up, but the permission bits are
>still set so we can't get to the images.
>This is as of 10:45 pm CDT.

A half hour later, and it is down again.  Mark Johnson posted a
message to comp.sys.mac.programmer (which I've attached to this
article, in case there is someone reading this who hasn't yet seen
it) explaining the problems with ftp.apple.com, and asked that
we don't try to ftp there 'til he posts another message giving
the ok.

I suspect that ftp.apple.com will be up and down for a little while,
the system files probably won't be made readable until ftp.apple.com
becomes stable (to prevent interruption of hundreds of ftp'ers).

We may as well relax until Mark gives the word that it is stable.

Regards,

  --Jerry Frain, frain@cis.ksu.edu

Well, ftp.apple.com has had System 7.0 on it since 3 a.m. this morning, BUT
the demand on the machine continues to bring it down before I can get back
onto it to open up the privileges.  To try to resolve this problem, we
are going to do a software and possible hardware upgrade later tonight or
early tomorrow morning.

SO, ftp.apple.com is going to be down for at least 12 hours and System 7.0
will NOT be on apple.com.  I apologize for the delays, but we tried and will
continue until we get it up and running.

When it is back online and ready to go, I'll post it here and on csm.announce,
so PLEASE do not try to access it or pull anything down until you see amessage from me...
Thanks for your coninnued patience...we appreciate it.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technceal Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Robert A. Lentz) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May14.034359.28893@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>Just to let everyone know, ftp.apple.com is up, but the permission bits are
>still set so we can't get to the images.
>This is as of 10:45 pm CDT.

I guess that makes me feel a bit better. I finally managed to connect at
about the same time, but as soon as I got in, the connection froze (are we
clobbering each others' connection with our own attempts to connect?)

Robert A. Lentz		    |   "The dreamers are the ones who conceive of
lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu   |    what could happen and the scientists are
the ones who make it happen. The best of humanity are those who combine
both traits." 	-Geordi, _Vendetta_ by Peter David

tigger@freezer.it.udel.edu (david faust) (05/15/91)

>Sigh.  Yes, it crashed.  We're doing a reinstall of software, and it
>should be up later; possibly today.  (You see, we have this world wide
>developer's conference going on, and most of the people concerned with
>ftp.apple.com are busy with that, and...)

>Murphy strikes.

I recieved this piece of mail from an apple employee that is connected with
ftp.apple.com. Give these guys a break.......they are kinda busy right now. As
other posts have indicated Mark Johnson will post when ftp.apple.com is back
up. So chill out and enjoy a beautiful day (at least it is here in Delaware!).
Dave
* David Faust | tigger@freezer.acs.udel.edu  | Some professors can only be     *
*             | tigger@chopin.udel.edu       | classified as weenies!!!!       *

mja3_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Matthew Armata) (05/16/91)

I am trying to find if anyone has gotten into ftp.apple.com, and the
computer can't handle the number of accesses, or if the computer is
down.  You can post here or e-mail me and I will post results

					Matt
Matthew Armata                          | Operations Director
mja3_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu         | WRUR AM and FM  Rochester, NY
University of Rochester                 |     640    88.5
It's not the despair, despair I can deal with.  It's the hope.
                                             -John Cleese, Clockwise

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (05/16/91)

Does anyone have a status report on this machine?  I.e. what generally is wrong
with it, and do you have any idea how long it will take to fix?  Thanks very
much for trying to get it working again.

Trying to wait patiently,

-Vincent Del Vecchio
vd09@andrew.cmu.edu