[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 available from CompuServe

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/15/91)

Well, my fiancee just gave me a ring.  She's on the Technical Team
over in Compuserve Customer Support.  It seems that System 7.0 has
been placed in the Macintosh Development Forum on Compuserve.

Now, before you go rushing off to Compuserve, some caveats:

Optimal download time at 2400 bps is 6 hours.  That's right, 6 hours -
and that's when the lines are good and Compuserve isn't busy.  At CI$
rates ($12.50/hour) that would cost $75.00.

Six hours at 2400 bps is -optimal time-.  Right now the Mac Dev Forum
is -swamped- with people accessing it.  It takes about 3 minutes just
to actually get into the Mac Dev forum after you enter the command to
go there.  People who are trying to get at the System 7.0 files are
often recieving "File busy" messages due to the sheer number of people
trying to download it.

So your download time may be significantly longer than 6 hours @ 2400
bps.  Add in your own time spent taking the downloaded files and
turning them into the actual System 7.0 disks, and you've probably
spent more than $100 (I don't know about you, but my time is worth at
least $15/hour).

So, if you download System 7.0 from CI$, you'll probably end up
spending more money in online charges and time spent than you would
spend buying the System 7.0 Personal Upgrade Kit from your dealer. Not
to mention that you get docs, 90 days free phone support, and
Hypercard 2.1 (minimized) from the PUK - you don't get those from
Compuserve.

So buy it from your dealer if you can, and get it from CI$ only if you
can't get it from your dealer (or don't have a dealer)...
---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/16/91)

>Well, my fiancee just gave me a ring.  She's on the Technical Team
>over in Compuserve Customer Support.  It seems that System 7.0 has
>been placed in the Macintosh Development Forum on Compuserve.
>
>Now, before you go rushing off to Compuserve, some caveats:
>
>Six hours at 2400 bps is -optimal time-.  Right now the Mac Dev Forum
>is -swamped- with people accessing it.  It takes about 3 minutes just
>to actually get into the Mac Dev forum after you enter the command to
>go there.  People who are trying to get at the System 7.0 files are
>often recieving "File busy" messages due to the sheer number of people
>trying to download it.

And I thought I had it bad... I was the first person to download it, at
1:03 AM. (At least the download count said 0.) The first file came down
at 942cps (V.32 modem), but the last one came down at 450cps! Took 100

They have an excellent help file. I didn't download the DiskCopy, which I
had already gotten from apple.com, and I didn't download the compatibility
stack, since I had already gotten the text of that. I also skipped the FONTS
One problem, though. On my Apple 80Mb HD, the new DiskFirstAid finds an
uncorrectable error:

   Error -521: Invalid node structure (TarID=4, TarBlock=1408)

I wonder what that means?

I hadn't seen anyone mention that you can now select the desktop by clicking
on it. Then Clean Up becomes Clean Up Desktop. The Balloon Help also supplies
Finder Shortcuts--and there are a bunch of nice ones! A brilliant touch, as
the lack of knowledge of the shortcuts (Option-dragging to the trashcan, for
example) often leads novices to believe that the Finder is tedious.

They also supply 4 nifty new beep sounds.

I am not able to paste a new icon onto my Scrapbook file. Wonder why?
If you haven't seen the tip: you can get a great full-color world map from
the Scrapbook to paste into the Map cdev.

Also, I had to Get Info PrintMonitor and give it more RAM in order to print
my QXP documents.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

hm0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (H. Scott Matthews) (05/16/91)

On 15-May-91 in Re: System 7.0 available fr..
user Wayne Folta@tove.cs.umd. writes:
>They have an excellent help file. I didn't download the DiskCopy, which I
>had already gotten from apple.com, and I didn't download the compatibility
>stack, since I had already gotten the text of that. I also skipped the FONTS
>One problem, though. On my Apple 80Mb HD, the new DiskFirstAid finds an
>uncorrectable error:
>
>   Error -521: Invalid node structure (TarID=4, TarBlock=1408)
>
>I wonder what that means?

Wayne:

    Did you happen to use any of the beta or fc versions of 7.0?  I saw
a post around here somewhere that said these versions actually screwed
up the directory structure.  They fixed it in 7.0 release version, and
made disk first aid find the probelm if it occurred.

Does anybody else remember the other details?

scott

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/16/91)

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:

--> Optimal download time at 2400 bps is 6 hours.  That's right, 6 hours -
--> and that's when the lines are good and Compuserve isn't busy.  At CI$
--> rates ($12.50/hour) that would cost $75.00.

     Or 90 minutes at 9600 using the v.32 lines.  v.32 connections are $22.50/hr,
so it'd cost about $34.

     CompuServe has a new mini-area: type "GO SYSTEM7" to access a special high-capacity distribution system.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/16/91)

In article <674366668.4@blkcat.FidoNet>, Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) writes:

>CompuServe has a new mini-area: type "GO SYSTEM7" to access a
>special high-capacity distribution system.

The story behind this one is fun.

According to my fiancee again (remember, she works for CI$?) the sheer
number of people trying to get System 7 was such a load that not only
was it dragging down the MACDEV forum where it resided, but it was
dragging down all the other forums that resided on the same disk area
and used the same processor (CI$ runs on bunch of networked DEC
machines, with different forums using different disk areas and CPUs).

So, they took MacDev down for a while (and got -tons- of phone calls
while that was going on) and moved the System 7 images to their own
disk area with their own processor.  So, right now, there's a CPU (one
of the smaller, older machines I guess, but still a DEC mini)
dedicated to nothing but downloading System 7.0.  Whew!

And poor ftp.apple.com is trying it with just a IIx...

---

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/16/91)

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:

>So, they took MacDev down for a while (and got -tons- of phone calls
>while that was going on) and moved the System 7 images to their own
>disk area with their own processor.  So, right now, there's a CPU (one
>of the smaller, older machines I guess, but still a DEC mini)
>dedicated to nothing but downloading System 7.0.  Whew!

>And poor ftp.apple.com is trying it with just a IIx...

  Not very successfully it would seem.  It's down again this morning.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Lay me place and bake me pie, I'm starving for me gravy... Leave my shoes
and door unlocked, I might just slip away - hey - just for the day."

lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Robert A. Lentz) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.161246.4326@neon.Stanford.EDU> torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>>And poor ftp.apple.com is trying it with just a IIx...
>
>  Not very successfully it would seem.  It's down again this morning.

I wonder how upset with us Mark Johnson is getting. We see a message on the
net to wait until he posts that it is okay to ftp again because they need
to do some software reconfiguration on ftp.apple.com, yet I have not seen
any go ahead signal, but I have seen people talking about obtaining it from
ftp.apple.com and about trying to obtain System 7 from ftp.apple.com.

Robert A. Lentz		    |   "The dreamers are the ones who conceive of
lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu   |    what could happen and the scientists are
the ones who make it happen. The best of humanity are those who combine
both traits." 	-Geordi, _Vendetta_ by Peter David