[comp.sys.mac.system] The `correct' way to use MacTCP with System 7.0

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/15/91)

I've seen a lot of confusion around here lately from people who can't
seem to get MacTCP to work under System 7, so here's the way I've
gotten it to work:

- Put the MacTCP cdev in the System Folder proper, not in any
subfolder of the System Folder.  (TCP applications look in the main
level of the System Folder for the MacTCP cdev, so if the cdev is in
the Control Panels folder, they won't find it.)

- Make an alias of the MacTCP cdev, and put the alias in the Control
Panels folder.  (This is so you can get to it like any normal control
panel.)

Until a new release of MacTCP is, um, released, this is the only way I
know of to get it to work, and I've had no problems with it so far.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) (05/15/91)

In article <9549@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
#>I've seen a lot of confusion around here lately from people who can't
#>seem to get MacTCP to work under System 7, so here's the way I've
#>gotten it to work:
#>
[...]

Your method is what NCSA recommends. However, other problems with
MacTCP are reported. Apparently, while it is running, your Apple
menu does not work properly; if you try to launch something it
just beeps. (This problem may only occur with NCSA Telnet 2.3,
and may be OK with 2.4. If so, then it is a Telnet problem and
not a MacTCP problem.) Apple (as of a demo I went to today)
is promising a new version of MacTCP in June or July. MacTCP
also does not work with virtual memory.

So, yes, it will work, but no it doesn't work perfectly.

CAVEAT!

Everything I've just written is hearsay which I get directly
from either NCSA, Apple, or the workstation support people
at UC Berkeley.

Steve Goldfield

In article <1991May14.232949.16950@agate.berkeley.edu> steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:
>Your method is what NCSA recommends. However, other problems with
>MacTCP are reported. Apparently, while it is running, your Apple
>menu does not work properly; if you try to launch something it
>just beeps. (This problem may only occur with NCSA Telnet 2.3,
>and may be OK with 2.4. If so, then it is a Telnet problem and
>not a MacTCP problem.)

It's a Telnet problem, fixed in 2.4.  You can grab NCSA Telnet version
2.4b11 (TCP only) from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (if memory serves me
properly); fetch yourself a copy and send in bug reports!  ;)

     << Brian >>

ObQuote: "eep!"  -- System 7.0, `Wild Eep' beep sound

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/15/91)

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:

>In article <9549@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
[getting MacTCP working deleted]
>Your method is what NCSA recommends. However, other problems with
>MacTCP are reported. Apparently, while it is running, your Apple
>menu does not work properly; if you try to launch something it
>just beeps. (This problem may only occur with NCSA Telnet 2.3,
>and may be OK with 2.4. If so, then it is a Telnet problem and
>not a MacTCP problem.) Apple (as of a demo I went to today)
>is promising a new version of MacTCP in June or July. MacTCP
>also does not work with virtual memory.

*None* of this is the case. I'm running MacTCP 1.0 (!) under Sys 7.0b4 on a IIfx
with VM on, and have had no definite problems with it. I'm using the latest
version of Telnet, 2.4b11. I've done plenty of paging it in and out, also. I
say definite because the two crashes I've had occurred when Telnet was in the
background and I was using SADE -- I blame SADE, but could be wrong. I've heard
of problems with FTP but haven't had problems with my own FTP'ing.

>Everything I've just written is hearsay which I get directly
>from either NCSA, Apple, or the workstation support people
>at UC Berkeley.

It helps to run it yourself and find out.

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.232949.16950@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:
> In article <9549@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
[fudged methos to get MacTCP to work deleted]

> #>Until a new release of MacTCP is, um, released, this is the only way I
> #>know of to get it to work, and I've had no problems with it so far.

> Your method is what NCSA recommends. However, other problems with
> MacTCP are reported. Apparently, while it is running, your Apple
> menu does not work properly; if you try to launch something it
> just beeps. (This problem may only occur with NCSA Telnet 2.3,
> and may be OK with 2.4. If so, then it is a Telnet problem and
> not a MacTCP problem.) Apple (as of a demo I went to today)
> is promising a new version of MacTCP in June or July. MacTCP
> also does not work with virtual memory.
>
> So, yes, it will work, but no it doesn't work perfectly.

******* Danger Will Robinson FLAME ATTACK **********

I find this absolutely incredible.  Apple went through this two year
development cycle for Sys 7 (yes two years, 7 was previewed in April 89
although some of the expected features did not make it). Various beta
versions were sent to developers so they could get their software to work
with 7 (congrats Apple for that).  But someone seems to have slipped up,
why did not the people (person?) who looks after MacTCP get a copy of Sys 7.
If MacTCP needed to be fixed why was not a MacTCP 1.1 updater available
before or with System 7 release.

Even stranger MacTCP 1.0.2 was a bug fix released for X window applications
but no changes seemed to be made for Sys 7 even though Sys 7 must have been
almost to beta by then.

Is this a case of Apple extolling the development community to get their
software ready for Apple's great new OS but ignoring its own software
compatibility (I believe Sys 7 is good, if only ftp.apple.com would come
online, sigh).  Note also that the AppleShare server for 7 will not be
available until September/October (current version is incompatible with
Multifinder [it says so in the manual] and MF is the only finder in 7)

************** Extinguish Cosmic Flamer ***********

I do hope that when MacTCP 1.1 or whatever is release that it is free to
owners of 1.0.1/2, and that an updater may even be posted to the net. (In
Australia we have to wait weeks/months for new software).

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/15/91)

In article <9549@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
|> I've seen a lot of confusion around here lately from people who can't
|> seem to get MacTCP to work under System 7, so here's the way I've
|> gotten it to work:
What is the current release of MacTCP? I have 1.0.2 (which I picked
up from a server - site-licenced) at the same time as I picked up
Mac X 1.1 (from the same server). The compatibility stack supplied
with the personal upgrade pack claims MacTCP 1.0.2 is not System 7
compatible and must be replaced by 1.1.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (05/15/91)

In article <9549@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>I've seen a lot of confusion around here lately from people who can't
>seem to get MacTCP to work under System 7, so here's the way I've
>gotten it to work:

Have you gotten MacTCP to work with the FINAL 7?  Our local mac support
guy had it going with some of the earlier releases, but was stymied by the
Real Thing.

The ".ipp" driver does not seem to get loaded.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

In article <1991May15.145105.2573@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au> bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:
>In article <1991May14.232949.16950@agate.berkeley.edu>, steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:
>> In article <9549@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>[fudged methos to get MacTCP to work deleted]
>
>> #>Until a new release of MacTCP is, um, released, this is the only way I
>> #>know of to get it to work, and I've had no problems with it so far.
>
>> Your method is what NCSA recommends. However, other problems with
>> MacTCP are reported. Apparently, while it is running, your Apple
>> menu does not work properly; ... MacTCP
>> also does not work with virtual memory.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Apple menu problem is a bug in
NCSA Telnet 2.3.  The problem is fixed in 2.4.  The problem with
virtual memory is something I hadn't heard of before; can anyone shed
some light on this?

>> So, yes, it will work, but no it doesn't work perfectly.

Works perfectly for me as long as I just put the MacTCP cdev in the
System Folder proper, not in the Control Panels subfolder.  Like I
said, this is because some TCP applications look for data in the
MacTCP file itself, and they expect the file to be in the System
Folder just like it was under System 6.  You can drop an alias of the
MacTCP cdev in the Control Panels folder if you need to access it
yourself often.

>I find this absolutely incredible.  ...
>If MacTCP needed to be fixed why was not a MacTCP 1.1 updater available
>before or with System 7 release.

It doesn't `need' to be fixed.  MacTCP could have been made a godly
little cdev after billions of dollars of research had been spent on
it, but as long as it's not in the System Folder, TCP applications are
gonna have problems.

>Is this a case of Apple extolling the development community to get their
>software ready for Apple's great new OS but ignoring its own software
>compatibility.

Maybe they had more important things to worry about, and they decided
that since MacTCP worked anyway they could put it off until later when
they had the time to add other things to it as well and spare people
the work of making two upgrades when they could get away with making
one?

>Note also that the AppleShare server for 7 will not be
>available until September/October (current version is incompatible with
>Multifinder [it says so in the manual] and MF is the only finder in 7)

So AppleShare doesn't run under System 7.0.  So what?  You can have a
network full of 7.0 machines, and just run the file server under
whatever version of 6 came with the AppleShare disks.  No problem --
no incompatibilities.  AppleShare is supposed to run on a dedicated
machine; why do you need to have MultiFinder on a machine whose sole
purpose is serving the network?

>I do hope that when MacTCP 1.1 or whatever is release that it is free to
>owners of 1.0.1/2, and that an updater may even be posted to the net. (In
>Australia we have to wait weeks/months for new software).

Seeing as how Apple's never done this with other software, I don't
expect them to start now.

I really don't understand your gripe: what do you need MacTCP to do
that it doesn't do right now?  Put it in the right place, and turn off
virtual memory if that's causing difficulties (okay, so maybe that's a
bug if there really is a problem there), and you should be all set.

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (05/16/91)

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield;232HMB;3-6292;;MF62) writes:

>MacTCP are reported. Apparently, while it is running, your Apple
>menu does not work properly; if you try to launch something it
>just beeps. (This problem may only occur with NCSA Telnet 2.3,
>and may be OK with 2.4. If so, then it is a Telnet problem and
>not a MacTCP problem.) Apple (as of a demo I went to today)

I have encountered this problem while in NCSA Telnet 2.3 as well as tn3270
(a modification to the NCSA Telnet sources).  This problem was not encountered
with any other MacTCP application, si I suspect it is something in the NCSA
Telnet 2.3 code.  Have not tried 2.4 yet.

Jason

peter@netlab.cis.brown.edu (Peter DiCamillo) (05/17/91)

The Apple menu bug has to do with the way MPW 2.0.2 glue code works, which
is used by both NCSA Telnet 2.3 and older versions of Brown's tn3270.
The latest version of tn3270 available from brownvm.brown.edu is 2.3d24,
and it does not have the Apple menu problem under System 7.  The problem
is present in any version of tn3270 before 2.3d16.

Peter DiCamillo
cmsmaint@brownvm.brown.edu