[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 7.0 : Greedy Dealers?

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (05/14/91)

Well, I've checked with several authorized dealers around the
Philadelphia area and the ones that are expecting shipments
soon say that they are only offering the personal upgrade
option for $99.  What about just coping the system onto
floppies I bring in?  The dealers "claim" to know nothing
about such a policy.  I know that Apple's official policy
allows this, but is there anything to force dealers to
comply?  It seems to me that they are all trying to cash
in on a little piece of the pie.

**  Robert Warden                         warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu    **
**  University of Pennsylvania                  @gradient.cis.upenn.edu **
**                                                                      **
** "Even a broken clock tells the time correctly twice a day"           **
**                                            - Withnail & I            **

keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) (05/15/91)

In article <43080@netnews.upenn.edu>, warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) writes...

>Well, I've checked with several authorized dealers around the
>Philadelphia area and the ones that are expecting shipments
>soon say that they are only offering the personal upgrade
>option for $99.  What about just coping the system onto
>floppies I bring in?  The dealers "claim" to know nothing
>about such a policy.  I know that Apple's official policy
>allows this, but is there anything to force dealers to
>comply?
This has been discussed numerous times.  There is no obligation
on the part of a dealer to let you copy, altho it is legal.  As
the size of the system has grown from 1 400k to 10 800k disks,
fewer and fewer dealers can carry this out.  Join a user's group;
any decent group should have a license to distribute the system
also.  (Altho many users groups also charge a fee:  machines
and disks are not free!)

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (05/15/91)

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) writes:

> Well, I've checked with several authorized dealers around the
> Philadelphia area and the ones that are expecting shipments
> soon say that they are only offering the personal upgrade
> option for $99.  What about just coping the system onto
> floppies I bring in?  The dealers "claim" to know nothing
> about such a policy.  I know that Apple's official policy
> allows this, but is there anything to force dealers to
> comply?  It seems to me that they are all trying to cash
> in on a little piece of the pie.

No. Your dealer isn't required to provide free updates (i.e., you bring in
the blank disks and he make a copy for you) to System 7.0; Apple simply made
the "free" update option available to them.

If your dealer doesn't want to be a "good sport," my suggestion would be to
visit your local user group, or contact BMUG. BMUG will send you System 7.0
for basically what it costs for the disks and postage -- $20, as I recall.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.174148.4701@macc.wisc.edu>, keir@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rick Keir, MACC) writes:

> This has been discussed numerous times.  There is no obligation
> on the part of a dealer to let you copy, altho it is legal.  As
> the size of the system has grown from 1 400k to 10 800k disks,
> fewer and fewer dealers can carry this out.  Join a user's group;
> any decent group should have a license to distribute the system
> also.  (Altho many users groups also charge a fee:  machines
> and disks are not free!)

Just to elaborate on this point a moment. We're a user group (BCS*Mac), and we
will be distributing S7. A few points to consider:

1) We don't have our masters yet. They are expected sometime this week.

2) We will be charging $25 for the set.

3) Our license does not cover manuals.

4) Our license does not cover Hypercard 2.1.

I hesistate to post our number for phone orders, given that we don't
have the masters yet (and hence haven't even begun to duplicate). I'll
post when we're able to deal with mail orders. Feel free to email any
specific questions.

Regards,

Michael Costello, Meeting Director * costello@world.std.com * 617-625-7080
     BCS*Mac  *  The Boston Computer Society Macintosh User Group

ralph@cbnewsj.att.com (Ralph Brandi) (05/17/91)

In article <6Liy25w164w@tosh.UUCP> tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu (John Starta) writes:

>If your dealer doesn't want to be a "good sport," my suggestion would be to
>visit your local user group, or contact BMUG. BMUG will send you System 7.0
>for basically what it costs for the disks and postage -- $20, as I recall.

I saw a message from Steve Costa of BMUG on America Online last
night to the effect that for $25, you get System 7 *plus* BMUG's new
book on the subject.

Does anyone know if the disks from BMUG include the updated version
of Hypercard?  (And, I assume, the version you get from any other
user group....)
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtunq.att.com     att!mtunq!ralph

R.I.P. Radio Canada International   1942-1991

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (05/17/91)

   While we're at it, can anyone post a copy of BMUGs addres and phone number.
If that's the only place to get reduced price copies, so be it.

Jon