[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 TeachText

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (05/16/91)

In article <13502@goofy.Apple.COM> rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) writes:
> In article <34510@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta)
> writes:
> > TeachText handles color PICTs.
>
> TeachText became *much* more useful in System 7. It does indeed display
> PICT files now, as well as generic TEXT files and its own 'ttro' files.
> When displaying a PICT, you can make a rectangle selection and copy it
> into the clipboard to be pasted into your other apps.

Does the new TeachText make it any easier to create TeachText files (ttro)
with both text and graphics? Is there still a 32K (TextEdit) limit on the
text?

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (05/16/91)

In article <11427@ncar.ucar.edu> hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:
> Does the new TeachText make it any easier to create TeachText files
(ttro)
> with both text and graphics?

Apparently not. Just for the fish, I tried to paste in a PICT and it
refused ("Paste" menu item was grayed out).

> Is there still a 32K (TextEdit) limit on the
> text?

Yep. :-( Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/16/91)

>Does the new TeachText make it any easier to create TeachText files (ttro)
>with both text and graphics? Is there still a 32K (TextEdit) limit on the
>text?

Per a previous poster, I created a TT alias and placed it on the desktop for
easy drop-on-ability. Dropping a 32K Nisus file on it works. Dropping a 51K
Nisus file says that the file is too large.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (05/17/91)

The new TechText in System 7 sounds pretty good.  Is it compatible with
System 6.0.x?

I'd like to distribute it with my commercial software and it sounds much
better than the old version.  If it doesn't work, I'll be stuck distributing
the 6.0.7 TeachText.  (Yes, I know about how to arrange the Software
Licensing stuff.)

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/17/91)

In article <8984@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>The new TechText in System 7 sounds pretty good.  Is it compatible with
>System 6.0.x?

No. If you try to launch it under 6.0.X you get a dialog box explaining that
TeachText 7.0 requires System 7.0 to operate.

>I'd like to distribute it with my commercial software and it sounds much
>better than the old version.  If it doesn't work, I'll be stuck distributing
>the 6.0.7 TeachText.  (Yes, I know about how to arrange the Software
>Licensing stuff.)

Sorry - It appears that we developers will have to pull all sorts of tricks
to maintain compatibility and usefulness so that our applications run on
both System 7 and earlier versions.

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/17/91)

In article <8984@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) writes:
>The new TechText in System 7 sounds pretty good.  Is it compatible with
>System 6.0.x?

No.  When you launch under 6.0.5 you get an alert that says System 7
is required.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY