[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys7 from ftp.apple.com corrupted!

mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (05/17/91)

I think it is pretty clear that at some point the FDHD images from
ftp.apple.com became damaged.  I've found some garbage deep in
install-1, and can find no apparent visible damage to install-2
however it also fails under a crc error.   I believe that ftp.apple.com
crashed for a time around 3 to 4 am early Thursday.  Perhaps that is
when the damaged occurred.  I got my copy after that time.

Is anyone having trouble un-binhexing the 800 k disk images?
Has anyone gotten a good FDHD copy since say about 6 am west coast time?

I wonder is the lines are jammed with people d/l-ing crap-o-la?

PS.  Earlier I asked for a corrected character pattern.  Since install-2
is no good, the first part won't help me either.

What a pisser.

Matt

frain@cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (05/17/91)

In article <16287@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu writes:
>I think it is pretty clear that at some point the FDHD images from
>ftp.apple.com became damaged.  I've found some garbage deep in
>install-1, and can find no apparent visible damage to install-2
>however it also fails under a crc error.   I believe that ftp.apple.com
>crashed for a time around 3 to 4 am early Thursday.  Perhaps that is
>when the damaged occurred.  I got my copy after that time.
>
>Is anyone having trouble un-binhexing the 800 k disk images?

I've un-binhexed all of the 800K (well, I'm in the middle of ftp'ing
the last one now, but I've un-binhexed all of the others), images
without error.

I noticed the "fdhd.images" on ftp.apple.com was not readable by
anyone when I connected.

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Systems Programmer               Kansas State University
                                        Department of Computing & Info Sciences

tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Thomas Lunde) (05/17/91)

I got into ftp.apple.com at about 3:30 am CST on May 16 and got the
800k images, the HD images, and the net-install images.  (I've got
to deal with both types of machines and put it on a student govt network.)
Both the 800K and the net-install unhqx'ed using mcvert with no problems.
I also got the CRC check failed message on all of the HD images.
I tried stripping headers, which didn't work and then mailed Mark
Johnson.  He replied that he was aware of the problem and would have it
fixed when he could get on the machine.

So, use the 800K images or the net-install ones.  They work fine.
To keep my mail box from overflowing, NO, because of the length, I will
NOT mail the images to anyone.  Actually, I can't becuase I have no way
to translate the files back to .hqx after putting them into MacBinary.
However, to lighten the load on ftp.apple.com, I am doing a lot of
copying locally.

Past messages and references follow:

In article <1991May17.065556.2317@agate.berkeley.edu>,
barbee@pseudo.berkeley.edu (Troy Barbee) writes:
>I haven't tried to look inside the files, but I managed to download all
>six FDHD images Wednesday morning at 2 am right after it came up, and
>ALL give CRC errors.  I got in again Thurs. morning at 4 am or so, and
>they were still damaged.  I've sent a message to Mjohnson@apple.com
>and he said mine was the second report of bad files and that he'd look
>into it when he got a chance.  I guess we have to hang on and wait for
>details.

Thomas

--
                                   | People around here have a tendency to like
Thomas Lunde                       | to jump up and down and scream a lot.
tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu        |          -- Jon Hamilton
                                   |    hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu

kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (05/18/91)

I unbinhexed system 7.0, but when I tried to unstuff I got checksums errors
for data and resource forks.  Hmm, come to think about it why would there be a
resource fork.  I'm not throwing those away though, I'll just diff the
files on a unix machine hopefully and edit the changes on a mac.