[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 upgrade kit questions

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (05/14/91)

One thing is not clear from the press releases.  When you get the
personal upgrade kit, is documentation included?  Either hard copy
or online?

Also, why not a personal upgrade CD-ROM kit?  It would seem reasonable
to save a bunch of floppies...
--
Craig Ruff      	NCAR			cruff@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1211  	P.O. Box 3000

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/14/91)

In article <11409@ncar.ucar.edu>, cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) writes:
>One thing is not clear from the press releases.  When you get the
>personal upgrade kit, is documentation included?  Either hard copy
>or online?

"SYSTEM 7 PERSONAL UPGRADE KIT  Order No. M8220LL/A

With your order, you'll receive:
- Macintosh System Software Version 7.0 (eight 800k disks)
- 'Before You Install' with Compatibility Checker (one disk)
- HyperCard (r) version 2.1 (two disks)
- Complete setup, learning, and reference documentation
- 90 days of toll-free upgrade assistance
- Limited warranty statement"

quoted from the Macintosh System Software Version 7.0 specification sheet.
(copyright 1991 Apple, and all that jazz...)

The price for the PUK (Puck?  Puke?) was $99 at the local MicroCenter.

>Also, why not a personal upgrade CD-ROM kit?  It would seem reasonable
>to save a bunch of floppies...

Not everyone has a CD-ROM drive.  In fact, most "personal" users -don't- have
one, I would hazard.  So Apple probably thought there wouldn't be enough demand
to justify designing another "Kit".  However, there is the Group Upgrade Kit,
which is the PUK, plus a System 7.0 CD-ROM, extra docs, 180 days phone support
(as opposed to 90), and a right-to-update license so that you can use the GUK
to legally upgrade other people.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (05/15/91)

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) writes:

> One thing is not clear from the press releases.  When you get the
> personal upgrade kit, is documentation included?  Either hard copy
> or online?

Yes, the Personal Upgrade Kit includes printed documentation (several
hundred pages to be exact).

> Also, why not a personal upgrade CD-ROM kit?  It would seem reasonable
> to save a bunch of floppies...

Because CD-ROM drives aren't that predominant yet.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/15/91)

In article <11409@ncar.ucar.edu> cruff@ncar.UCAR.EDU (Craig Ruff) writes:
>One thing is not clear from the press releases.  When you get the
>personal upgrade kit, is documentation included?  Either hard copy
>or online?

  The 7.0 Personal Upgrade Kit is a nice big box about the size of the "Open
Me First" box that comes with your Macintosh, and it does indeed come with
manuals.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     My opinions and so on and so forth...

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/18/91)

Craig Ruff writes in a message to All

CR> One thing is not clear from the press releases. When you get
CR> the personal upgrade kit, is documentation included? Either hard
CR> copy or online?

Documentation (and free phone support) are the primary things you get when you buy the PUK.  Otherwise you might as well pick it up free or low cost from a user group or dealer.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)