[comp.sys.mac.system] Setting up an alternative application

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/17/91)

In System 7, is there any way of pursuading an application
to take over if the original creator isn't present, the
way Teachtext is offered for TEXT documents? Can
this only be done by hacking with ResEdit, or is there some
higher-level interface? I couldn't find anything in the
System 7 manuals.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May16.222526.2150@neon.Stanford.EDU>,
philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

> In System 7, is there any way of pursuading an application
> to take over if the original creator isn't present, the
> way Teachtext is offered for TEXT documents? Can

Yes, this is controlled by a resource in the Finder.  Since it's a pain to edit
the Finder (you have to make a copy), I wrote a system extension called
Understudy that changes this itself.  I've recently made a couple of changes to
the program, and I will post the new version in a couple of days.

Unfortunately, you still have to customize the program with ResEdit.  But if
anyone is interested in doing a Control Panel front-end, let me know.