[comp.sys.mac.system] LAYO's and System 7?

rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) (05/17/91)

Does System 7's Finder support LAYO resources any more?  I'd really like to
(a) get rid of the Finder zoom rects, and (b) enable title-clicking so as to be
able to go up one level in the folder hierarchy...  The Finder Preference
resources don't seem to cover either capability.

---
Robert Dorsett
Internet: rdd@cactus.org
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd

griswold@infonode.ingr.com (John L. Griswold) (05/17/91)

rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:

>Does System 7's Finder support LAYO resources any more?  I'd really like to
>(a) get rid of the Finder zoom rects, and (b) enable title-clicking so as to be
>able to go up one level in the folder hierarchy...  The Finder Preference
>resources don't seem to cover either capability.

I can't speak to the issue of zoom rects, but System 7 supports an even
nicer version of title-clicking.  By command-clicking on the title of the
window you get a pull-down menu (like in the standard-open dialog) that
gives you high speed access to any of the folders in the path to the current
folder.

>---
>Robert Dorsett
>Internet: rdd@cactus.org
>UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd

--J.Griswold
--
+--------------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| John L. Griswold                           | Bentley-Systems Inc.       |

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/17/91)

In article <6994@cactus.org> rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>Does System 7's Finder support LAYO resources any more?  I'd really like to
>(a) get rid of the Finder zoom rects, and (b) enable title-clicking so as to be
>able to go up one level in the folder hierarchy...  The Finder Preference
>resources don't seem to cover either capability.

Robert,

I don't know about the zoom rects, but the title-clicking business
has been taken care of. You can either press command-upArrow to go
to the parent folder, or you can hold down the command key and click
on the title bar. This will allow you to move as far up the
hierarchy as you'd like. (This is all on page 3 of the Finder
Shortcuts help dialog).

BTW, I'm not sure if there even is a LAYO resource anymore. I remember
looking once, and didn't see it. I think that it's in one of the
new fXXX resources (not really XXX, but I can't remember what the
complete resource type is).

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (05/17/91)

In article <6994@cactus.org> rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>Does System 7's Finder support LAYO resources any more?  I'd really like to
>(a) get rid of the Finder zoom rects,

Me, too!  Sadly, however, I was informed by Paul Mercer, one of the System
7 developers, that there is no way to turn zoomrects off (short of a code
patch, perhaps, but he wasn't advocating that sort of mucking around, for
obvious reasons :-).  I got the impression that a user alteration of this
sort may show up in future versions, though.

John Heckendorn
--
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.013309.21002@infonode.ingr.com> griswold@infonode.ingr.com (John L. Griswold) writes:

>I can't speak to the issue of zoom rects, but System 7 supports an even
>nicer version of title-clicking.  By command-clicking on the title of the

Sorry, but I don't happen to think it is nicer.  The vast majority of the time
I don't NEED to move more than one level at a time.  I enabled the title click
for a good reason.

Apple seems to have decided that a drop down menu is superior to a single click,
even when that single click does what you want.  Not only did they apparently
remove the title click feature, but in Standard File, they removed the drive
button and replaced it with a desktop button.  They couldn't be happy with
redefining the "click on drive picture" to put you back to the desktop level but
they had to dumb down the drive button as well.  Instead of a simple click, we
are now forced to click, move, select menu item.

>window you get a pull-down menu (like in the standard-open dialog) that
>gives you high speed access to any of the folders in the path to the current
>folder.

I don't mind it when they add features, but WHY in the heck to they have to
remove the features I've come to rely on.  At the very least, they could leave
it as an option.  But nooooooooo.........

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/18/91)

In article <49162@ut-emx.uucp>, awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:
|> In article <1991May17.013309.21002@infonode.ingr.com> griswold@infonode.ingr.com (John L. Griswold) writes:
|> >nicer version of title-clicking.  By command-clicking on the title of the
|> Sorry, but I don't happen to think it is nicer.  The vast majority of the time
|> I don't NEED to move more than one level at a time.  I enabled the title click
|> for a good reason.
You can COMMAND-up arrow to go up one level. I think this is nicer because it's
more consistent with navigating open-file dialogs. OK, it's not a click, but
I for one find it a lot faster.
|> Apple seems to have decided that a drop down menu is superior to a single click,
|> even when that single click does what you want.  Not only did they apparently
|> remove the title click feature, but in Standard File, they removed the drive
|> button and replaced it with a desktop button.  They couldn't be happy with
|> redefining the "click on drive picture" to put you back to the desktop level but
|> they had to dumb down the drive button as well.  Instead of a simple click, we
|> are now forced to click, move, select menu item.
You can COMMAND-right arrow to switch drives (or left arrow to go in the
opposite order). Maybe it's a keystroke rather than a click, but it's there.
|> I don't mind it when they add features, but WHY in the heck to they have to
|> remove the features I've come to rely on.  At the very least, they could leave
|> it as an option.  But nooooooooo.........
They have - you just do it slightly differently (1 keystroke instead of one mouse
click). A valid criticism is this stuff isn't obvious (OK, the move up one window
trick is in Finder shortcuts help).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Don Gillies) (05/18/91)

I don't have system 7.0, but can you still add aliases to the Finder
menues?  I have aliased "shutdown" to "command-q", which is very
convenient to use (two-command q's and you can stand up and leave the
machine).  Is this still possible in system 7.0?

Don Gillies	     |  University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
gillies@cs.uiuc.edu  |  Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana IL

--

In article <1991May17.224551.13061@neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>They have - you just do it slightly differently (1 keystroke instead of one mouse
>click). A valid criticism is this stuff isn't obvious (OK, the move up one window
>trick is in Finder shortcuts help).

You could command up arrow to back out of a folder already.  Similarly, you
could tab to switch drives.  That ain't the point.  We already knew Apple was
going to improve the access from the keyboard.  What I didn't realize that
some of the mousing options were going away.  (I.e. clicking on the MF
icon to switch to the next app.)

What happened to the Clean Up command (Option and select Clean Up Window under
the Special menu)?

I'll admit that there are a whole bunch of brand-new Mac users out there, but
that doesn't mean that you have to DELETE features, just make them OPTIONAL.

I don't mind having to learn new tools, and I accept the fact that I'll have to
test out the 50+ inits and cdevs 7.0 didn't know about.  It REALLY annoys me to
lose capabilities I use all the time.

Ah well, as an Apple employee recently quoted to me, these are opportunities
for 3rd party developers.

czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi) (05/18/91)

O.K., we all know, where the title click has gone. But:

1) Where is the icon horizontal/vertical spacing?
2) Where is the 'skip trash warnings'?
3) And where do I have to patch the finder window rect???

Thanks for any help,

Gary

    Gary T. Czychi                University of St.Gallen, Switzerland

    czychi@csghsg52.BITNET  or  czychi@alpha.unisg.ch (preferred host)
            czychi@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP   (CZYCHI@ETHZ.uucp)
		      Tel.: --41 / 71 / 57 17 22
                                   -

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May18.151359.13885@bernina.ethz.ch>, czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi) writes:
|> O.K., we all know, where the title click has gone. But:
|> 2) Where is the 'skip trash warnings'?
This one I can asnwer: in a checkbox which you can reach by
doing Get Info on the Trash can. You can also temporarily turn
off the warning by holding down OPTION when emptying the trash
(slightly more convenient than the previous approach of holding
down OPTION while putting something in the trash).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/19/91)

In article <49193@ut-emx.uucp> awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:

>What happened to the Clean Up command (Option and select Clean Up Window under
>the Special menu)?

This should still be there. It's enhanced, too. When you hold down
the option key, the "Clean Up Window" command turns into "Clean Up
by <Whatever you last sorted your window by in outline mode>".

If you want "Clean Up Selection", hold down the Shift key when
choosing the Special menu.

In article <1991May18.151359.13885@bernina.ethz.ch> czychi@bernina.UUCP (Gary Czychi) writes:
>O.K., we all know, where the title click has gone. But:
>
>2) Where is the 'skip trash warnings'?

It's in the "Get Info" window for the trash can.

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/19/91)

czychi@bernina.ethz.ch (Gary Czychi) writes:

GC> 2) Where is the 'skip trash warnings'?

   Do a Get Info on the trash; check the "No Warnings" box.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)