[comp.sys.mac.system] The story behind what happened to System 7.0

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/14/91)

Apparently there was a slight screwup with delivering System 7.0 to
the East Coast.

I hear that Apple shipped 500 copies of the System 7.0 Personal
Upgrade Kit and 200 copies of the Group Upgrade Kit to each of
Charlotte, North Carolina and Boston, Massachusetts last Friday via
Federal Express.  (These were the pre-ordered copies of System 7.0.)

Come Monday, they weren't there.  Seems that FedEx lost them.

Federal Express promptly apologized -- boy, did they ever apologize!
-- and are making it up to Apple by providing something like three
months' free overnight delivery and some other assorted grovelling.

Meanwhile, other cities should have received their copies.  Has anyone
out there in netland actually gotten your own copy of System 7.0
Release, or are you too busy playing with it to post yet?

(Or are you being smart after having realized that the first person to
post `I have System 7!' is going to be FLOODED with email asking `can
you please email me a copy please please i wont tell nobody!?')

     << Brian >>

P.T.: This is only a story I caught wind of; it might not be
completely kosher, but if it is you heard it here first!

P.P.T.: FedEx, `lose' something?  The company that _never_ loses
*anything*?  Sounds like a case of espionage to me... if you happen to
see any Innately Bureaucratic Men in dark alleyways carrying lots of
boxes, report them!

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

kucharsk@solbourne.com (William Kucharski) (05/14/91)

In article <9502@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
 >Apparently there was a slight screwup with delivering System 7.0 to
 >the East Coast.
 >
 >I hear that Apple shipped 500 copies of the System 7.0 Personal
 >Upgrade Kit and 200 copies of the Group Upgrade Kit to each of
 >Charlotte, North Carolina and Boston, Massachusetts last Friday via
 >Federal Express.  (These were the pre-ordered copies of System 7.0.)

I don't know about this, but none of the dealers in the Boulder, CO area are
expecting to see System 7 until "at least the 15th"...
--

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/14/91)

In article <9502@idunno.Princeton.EDU>, bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>Meanwhile, other cities should have received their copies.  Has anyone
>out there in netland actually gotten your own copy of System 7.0
>Release, or are you too busy playing with it to post yet?

Well, I don't have mine yet, but that's just because I put my name on
the list at the OSU Computer Store (they won't be getting theirs until
Wed.).  However, the Westerville (Ohio) MicroCenter has a -bunch- of
the personal upgrade kits.  I managed to pick up a copy of "Upgrade
News" that is dedicated to System 7, as well as the Apple Spec Sheet
on System 7.

For all those who have been wondering, the System 7 Personal Upgrade
Kit (and the Group Upgrade Kit) -does- include Hypercard 2.1. (on two
800k disks.)

Also, info on the Apple Phone Lines:

System 7 Upgrade Answerline:  This is the 900 number that costs you $2
per minute.  Apple claims the "service helps customers plan their
upgrade (including hardware requirements, compatibility, and backup
strategies); install Systm 7; and troubleshoot any problems that might
occur during the upgrade process".  1-900-535-APPL  $2 per minute.

Automated Q&A System: It's one of those wonderful "touch-tone
controlled" systems for question answering.  This one only costs you
the long-distance charges.  (408) 257-7000

Oh, one last thing.  A plug for "The System 7 Book" by Craig Danuloff.
Ventana Press was kind enough to send me a review copy, but otherwise
I have no association.  I've skimmed a good chunk of it, and probably
will write up a review for the net-at-large.  But at first
impressions, it looks like a good book to buy if you're getting System
7 without docs.  He goes over just about everything, and even in the
basics it doesn't sound condescending, nor lecture-ish.  $22.95

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/14/91)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
|Come Monday, they weren't there.  Seems that FedEx lost them.

Seems FedEx also "misplaced" copies of the CD's for Apples major new
multimedia architecture (which is still in the nondisclosure stage, so
read all about it in MacWeek, not from me).

Apple's payoff: "just in time" delivery directly to the conference
floor (and having the speaker sign for the shipment was kinda
special), and free FedEx tee shirts for the group members, who ended
up passing them out to very impressed developers.

bill coderre
whose mouse sports System 7 racing stripes

sfleming@cs.hw.ac.uk (Stewart Fleming) (05/14/91)

From: bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: The story behind what happened to System 7.0

>I hear that Apple shipped 500 copies of the System 7.0 Personal
>Upgrade Kit and 200 copies of the Group Upgrade Kit to each of
>Charlotte, North Carolina and Boston, Massachusetts last Friday via
>Federal Express.  (These were the pre-ordered copies of System 7.0.)

>Come Monday, they weren't there.  Seems that FedEx lost them.

>P.P.T.: FedEx, `lose' something?  The company that _never_ loses
>*anything*?  Sounds like a case of espionage to me...

The obvious question to ask here is : how many Macintoshes do FedEx have ?
About 1500 ?

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |

STF
--
sfleming@cs.hw.ac.uk                        ...ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!sfleming
"Wow ! A flying mouse !"  "Eeek ! A flying cat !"

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (05/14/91)

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

> Apparently there was a slight screwup with delivering System 7.0 to
> the East Coast.
>
> I hear that Apple shipped 500 copies of the System 7.0 Personal
> Upgrade Kit and 200 copies of the Group Upgrade Kit to each of
> Charlotte, North Carolina and Boston, Massachusetts last Friday via
> Federal Express.  (These were the pre-ordered copies of System 7.0.)
>
> Come Monday, they weren't there.  Seems that FedEx lost them.

Sounds like a fish story to me! With the package tracking technology FedEx
has, it is impossible to loss a package in their system, not to meantion
over 700 of them!

> Federal Express promptly apologized -- boy, did they ever apologize!
> -- and are making it up to Apple by providing something like three
> months' free overnight delivery and some other assorted grovelling.

ROTFLOL! From minnow to marlin; this [fish] story is getting better by the
moment.

> (Or are you being smart after having realized that the first person to
> post `I have System 7!' is going to be FLOODED with email asking `can
> you please email me a copy please please i wont tell nobody!?')

Uh huh. :)

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Chief Technologist        UUCP: ...ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (05/15/91)

   How many Macs does FedEx have is a good question.  When I worked in their
Strategic Integrated Systems department, about half the people had Macs and the
other half had IBMs.  Some actually had both (like me!).  I'd guess there were
100 Macs in that department, so a few thousand wouldn't be unreasonable.

   As to how easy it is to lose a package in the system, FedEx gets about 99%
of all packages there on time, and 99.99% there no more than a day late.  If
they lost 700 packages (if they were shipped seperatly), they must have mis-
placed an entire airplane.  I think the story sounds a little fishy myself.

Jon Pace

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/19/91)

In article <52859@apple.Apple.COM> bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:

   Apple's payoff: "just in time" delivery directly to the conference
   floor (and having the speaker sign for the shipment was kinda
   special),

<raised eyebrows> I thought that was just clever staging.  You mean
that's when they actually arrived?  Yow.  Take that FedEx guy to lunch!

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda