news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (05/19/91)

From: chenp@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Paul "Mega Drive and Lynx" Chen)

>Hi, I work on an original Mac II with a 68020 processor and PMMU installed.
>It has 8 megs of RAM on board but when I pull up the memory control panel,
>it only allows me to access 12 megs of RAM as virtual memory. Does anybody
>have a clue as to why it won't let me access at least 16 megs if not more?
>Thanks for your help.

Hmm, interesting. All I know is that only 32-bit clean ROM's can access the
full 32 bits of address. Every other Mac has 32-bit dirty (?) ROM's so they
work in 24-bit mode, which means you can only access up to 16 megs of VM.
The only 32-bit clean ROM Macs that I know of are the ci, fx, and I think the
si.

As for your other problem, I don't know.

Paul

"... Particle man
 Is he a dot, or is he a speck?		      	Game Boy
 When he's underwater				Lynx
 does he get wet?				Mega Drive
 or does the water get him instead?"		PC-Engine CG
(Some mind-boggling questions from the song
 "Particle Man" by They Might Be Giants.)
  chenp@cory.berkeley.edu			One of these days I'll get my
						hands on System 7.

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/19/91)

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) writes:

>From: chenp@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Paul "Mega Drive and Lynx" Chen)

>>Hi, I work on an original Mac II with a 68020 processor and PMMU installed.
>>It has 8 megs of RAM on board but when I pull up the memory control panel,
>>it only allows me to access 12 megs of RAM as virtual memory. Does anybody
>>have a clue as to why it won't let me access at least 16 megs if not more?
>>Thanks for your help.

>Hmm, interesting. All I know is that only 32-bit clean ROM's can access the
>full 32 bits of address. Every other Mac has 32-bit dirty (?) ROM's so they
>work in 24-bit mode, which means you can only access up to 16 megs of VM.
>The only 32-bit clean ROM Macs that I know of are the ci, fx, and I think the
>si.

>As for your other problem, I don't know.

That's 16 megs minus 1 meg per NuBus slot used minus some other stuff. With
two cards on board 12 megs is the result.

>Paul

>"... Particle man
> Is he a dot, or is he a speck?		      	Game Boy
> When he's underwater				Lynx
> does he get wet?				Mega Drive
> or does the water get him instead?"		PC-Engine CG
>(Some mind-boggling questions from the song
> "Particle Man" by They Might Be Giants.)
>  chenp@cory.berkeley.edu			One of these days I'll get my
>						hands on System 7.
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu
Software Tools Group, NCSA				mlanett@ncsa.uiuc.edu
To create a Mac emulator you would only need to write a screensaver for Windows
that draws a bomb box.

ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) (05/20/91)

I find that I can get my VM up to 11 megs, but if I push it to 12 or
13 megs my system won't boot properly.  Everything proceeds as usual,
but when the finder comes up the mouse remains frozen.

Now, the person to whose msg I am following up explained that with
24-bit addressing you can address up to 16M, minus 1M per NuBus card.
Furthermore, the Memory CDEV is supposed to be able to figure out what
your machine's maximum is, given your config.  It came up with 13M for
my machine.

So: (1) Why does the Memory CDEV come up with a 13M limit?
    (2) Why does my machine crash when I have more than 11M VM?

Thanks very very much in advance!

Details:

CPU:     Mac II ci parity
NuBus:   Radius monochrome B/W display
Disk:    Rodime 105M (unrecognized by HD SC Setup 7.0, another problem)
RAM:     4 M (9-bit, of course)
Moues:   Kensington Turbo Mouse, WITHOUT Kensington software
System:  System 7.0
Extensions:  SuperClock! 3.9, Teleport 1.06d11, Suitcase II 1.2.9

* When I tried turning on 32-bit addressing, my machine wouldn't even
  start to boot. Instead, before the smiling Mac Classic it would play
  the sad chord that is supposed to mean you've lost your boot blocks.

--
  Tom Ngo
  ngo@harvard.harvard.edu

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Idiot Savant ) (05/20/91)

ngo@tammy.harvard.edu (Tom Ngo) writes:
>I find that I can get my VM up to 11 megs, but if I push it to 12 or
>13 megs my system won't boot properly.  Everything proceeds as usual,
>but when the finder comes up the mouse remains frozen.

I have had the same experience. Don't have the slightest idea what the
problem is, but I fixed the symptoms by reformatting, restoring, and keeping
the VM off. It seems as if the Finder gets trashed by alloting the buffer on
the disk.

>Now, the person to whose msg I am following up explained that with
>24-bit addressing you can address up to 16M, minus 1M per NuBus card.

The IIci also has a substantial amount of Memory in ROM.
That adds to the total amount of memory present and subtracts from the
amount of RAM available.
Internet: scott@scotty.life.uiuc.edu                         AppleLink: ISware