[comp.sys.mac.system] What to do with programs when no windows are open?

sho@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (05/20/91)

I like the way the title bar gets grayed out on color systems for
windows which aren't foremost.  I'd like it better if the content
region would behave the same way for windows belonging to background
applications. It might be difficult to do (current contents would
probably be grayed automatically for speed, subsequent updates would
have to be munged to gray everything that's drawn) but it would
emphasize the differences between layers.

It could be argued that we should de-emphasize the differences between
programs.  A window is a window, and we can cut and paste between
them.  However, I find that novices can have trouble figuring out
which program is running.  I teach a class in a room full of macs, and
my students get confused when an application has no open windows.
They sometimes forget to quit the application.  Even worse, they later
try to run the program by double-clicking, and find that no window
appears.  They see the Finder window on top, and think that nothing's
happened.  Worse yet, our programs are set to multi-launch, so the
application icon doesn't gray out when the program is running.  They
double click, the zoomrect zooms out, it zooms back in, and they think
something's wrong.

A better solution might be to send a new appleEvent to programs which
are double-clicked.  Come to think of it, I suppose we could even re-use
'oapp'.  The required behavior would be to open a new blank window if
there are no open documents.  This way, double-clicking an application
would have the same behavior whether or not the program was currently
running.  A blank document would be created if appropriate.  You could
still switch to the program without opening a new document by using
the application menu.  It's not what we're used to, but it seems to me
much more consistent.

Opinions?

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu

gilbertd@cricket.bio.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) (05/20/91)

In article <5134@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> sho@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) writes:
>They sometimes forget to quit the application.  Even worse, they later
>try to run the program by double-clicking, and find that no window
>appears.  They see the Finder window on top, and think that nothing's
>happened.  Worse yet, our programs are set to multi-launch, so the

I agree complete with this problem of no windows on frontmost applications
being very confusing to novices (even experienced users at times). I have
started putting a routine in all my programs that puts a small, pretty
"about" window up when my app is frontmost, if no document windows are
open.  I'd recommend such as a Human Interface addition to all developers.
                      Don
--
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert@bio.indiana.edu