[comp.sys.mac.system] But Seriously Folks Re: Cooperating on Sys7 distribution

kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) (05/15/91)

>What can we do here? Obvious thing is *wait a while*.  Maybe get it
>from dealers (the bandwidth of physically distributed disks is pretty
>high--consider a station wagon full of HD disks).  If you can't or
>don't want to deal with that, wait a few days before FTPing.  And go
>in with friends: download it once, and copy the disks.

This is exactly what we shouldn't do.  Apple wants us to download it from their
machine so they might keep track of who is downloading their software.  They
have a right to do this, unless they make an agreement with another site
to serve as a server we should not expect that.

On a negative note, it is surprising that ftp.apple.com would be down, after
all they should have enough support.  Now Chuq or another apple would tell us if
if ftp.apple.com was not really crashed as the rumor mill was wrong (they
deserve the respect they earn), so I dismiss the grumblings I have heard about
apple having another 6.06 on their hands.

I am disturbed by the obvious contradiction that they have not placed 7.0 on
apple.com.  If ftp.apple.com is really down, why haven't they moved it to
apple.com?  Humorous quote: "they'll be fired if they actually do something
sensible to help customers".

All in all, I have to say this is a free upgrade, we really have to be satisfied
with what we get.  Apple may have faults, but providing free upgrades in a
timely manner can not be held against them.  They have bette things to do.

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (05/15/91)

In article <kscott.674276060@locke.mmwb.ucsf.edu> kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:
>On a negative note, it is surprising that ftp.apple.com would be down, after

Why? If it's a Mac IIx, as the rumor goes, it's undoubtedly wildly
overloaded. Shoot, it would probably be wildly overloaded no matter
what machine they were using. Spectacular isn't the word for what
the demand's probably like.

>all they should have enough support.  Now Chuq or another apple would tell us if

There's support, and then there's buying a half million dollar machine as
an ftp server (remember, you're wanting something with VASTLY more I/O capacity
than anything you can put on a desk.) Try something like a Sequent Symmetry
or Balance.

>if ftp.apple.com was not really crashed as the rumor mill was wrong (they
>deserve the respect they earn), so I dismiss the grumblings I have heard about
>apple having another 6.06 on their hands.

No problems with 7.0 here. Got it running on Mac II's, IIx's, and a IIsi.
Haven't yet found an application that worked under 6.05 that won't work
under 7.0. Got some INIT problems, but not many (MasterJuggler for one.) :-(

>I am disturbed by the obvious contradiction that they have not placed 7.0 on
>apple.com.  If ftp.apple.com is really down, why haven't they moved it to

I understand that apple.com is a Real Machine. In other words, people are
actually trying to get some work done on it. Not to mention that it does
various news feeds which are of Major Importance to some (insert statement
of personal bias here.)

>apple.com?  Humorous quote: "they'll be fired if they actually do something
>sensible to help customers".

Unhumorous thought: "they'll be fired if they bring our network to its
knees distributing System 7."

>All in all, I have to say this is a free upgrade, we really have to be satisfied
>with what we get.  Apple may have faults, but providing free upgrades in a
>timely manner can not be held against them.  They have bette things to do.

I get the idea that (so far at least) ftp service from apple.com is kind
of like news service at most places (including here.) It's great, the users
get something out of it, but no one's getting paid to do it, and it better
not cause trouble. That's why I doubly appreciate the efforts of the people
at Apple. I get the impression that this is NOT their job, but something
they feel should be done.
	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/15/91)

>On a negative note, it is surprising that ftp.apple.com would be down, after
>all they should have enough support.

Anyone who learns how to properly schedule hardware failures and disk
crashes to non-critical times in the Gantt chart is guaranteed to be rich.

Things break when they want to, not when they're convenient. And Apple is
currently hosting a party for a few thousand close friends down the road, so
everyone is just a mite busy.

>I am disturbed by the obvious contradiction that they have not placed 7.0 on
>apple.com.  If ftp.apple.com is really down, why haven't they moved it to
>apple.com?

See previous paragraph. Also, apple.com is short on disk space for ftp, and
the amount of work it would take to do a 'trivial' thing like get it up on
apple.com and make sure all of it is accessible and not corrupted and etc
and etc would take a good chunk of time. Better to work on a permanent
solution than spend a lot of time on a temporary one and then put the real
fix off that much lonter.

Everyone is missing -- they're at the developers conference putting in
12 and 14 hour days doing things they're already committed to doing. It
may be inconvenient for folks on the net, but when people have paid
chunks of money and flown in from all over the world to listen, talk
(and sometimes yell) at Apple, it makes sense for the Apple folks to be
where the time- and calendar-critical things are. Those folks are
flying home in a few days. Ftp.apple.com will still be around when
sanity returns to the Apple campus.

It's called "setting priorities". You can't always do everything right now.
Some stuff has to wait.

>Humorous quote: "they'll be fired if they actually do something
>sensible to help customers".

Maybe the folks will simply say the heck with it and not bother? I know THIS
comment was supposed to be humourous, but it's the latest in a long line of
things that really grate on my nerves -- and on the nerves of my cohorts
here. These folks (I'm just moral support -- I'm not involved in running
these machines) work their tushies off, weekends, evenings, etc, trying to
get stuff ready and, among other things, they've been yelled at because the
software wasn't available PRIOR to its official release, yelled at because
factors beyond their control have made the machine unavailable and yelled at
for dozens of other reasons -- all because the massive gymnastics weren't
perfect (or worse, WERE perfect, but weren't what you wanted).

Hey, we do what we can, saddled with little things like 24 hour days,
lawyers that are paid to protect Apple's business interests, the need to
actually MAKE enough money to support our profit sharing checks so they
don't reposses our Ferarris and the fact that we happen to love our jobs and
don't want to be fired for doing anything that gets us in trouble over any
of these things (and -- please don't tell anyone -- many of us WILL consider
bending rules here and there if we feel it's really important. But I didn't
say that. Neither did David Ramsey).

So, you know? It's been a bitch of a month. You want to take a massive piece
code that completely redoes what we've done before, adds some really
revolutionary new features while guaranteeing compatibility with something
like 4000 existing, shipping software packages, make sure tens of thousands
of copies are available on the day it intros -- while preparing for a
developer's technicao conference and the associated hassles.

We do what we can. We aren't perfect, okay? Neither are you. We do what we
can. If it's not good enough, then go buy a PC and download a free copy of
Windows 3.0 from the Microsoft server, okay?

Keep it in perspective. As a corporate entity, the last six weeks have been
one of the hairiest experiences I've ever been a part of. We have a lot of
people on the verge (or beyond) of exhaustion, some walking wounded and a
few cases of full-blown burnout, all to turn out the best, most stable, most
revolutionary damn piece of code we could do -- and we're getting yelled at
because some folks aren't going to be able to get theer FREE copy of it for
another two or three days. Ergo we're scum.

Like, name how many OTHER companies give you the opportunity to do this
under any circumstances? 10? Five? Three?

It's FREE. You're getting exactly what you're paying for. If life isn't
perfect, tough. You're welcome to go do it better.

(enough rant -- by this time, the small minority of people that this message is
aimed at have already stopped reading and are starting to write their next
message on how insensitive Apple is to their needs. A few more are now
pissed at me for yelling at them, because they'd never do that (of course,
I'm NOT yelling at them if they didn't do it, but they'll still be pissed).
The rest are nodding their heads and saying "I wish I could do something
about those idiots, too" -- so do I. And sooner or later we'll probably hear
from Tim, too)

To the majority of you who have been patience and understanding -- thanks.
We do what we can. To the idiots, I suggest you get enough of a life to
learn just how silly, immature and selfish you sound to us. It doesn't make
it any more tempting to spend the time and energy to make the net useful for
everyone -- it's done for the majority, but the few screamers and idiots
make it really hard to justifiy to myself sometime...

(oh. One final comment. this message probably won't do a bit of good -- the
ones who most need to read it won't bother, or won't let it sink in through
their skulls. But *I* feel better, so thanks for listening)

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (05/15/91)

In article <52889@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here
for the beer) writes:
[steam-release deleted]

I sympathise with you, Chuq.  People should indeed stop to consider things
like how many other huge companies have public FTP servers AT ALL, never mind
little details like how unusual it is to have even the possibility of
obtaining the operating system FREE OF CHARGE.  I think there's a problem on
the net of people _not stopping to think_ before they post.  It's in the
Netiquette guidelines, and it's just common sense anyway, but people still
don't do it often enough.  Anayway, I just wanted to let you know that
there are many of us out here who appreciate what you do.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

if30@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/15/91)

In article <1991May15.152446.22109@midway.uchicago.edu>, jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:
> In article <52889@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here
> for the beer) writes:
> [steam-release deleted]
>
> I sympathise with you, Chuq.  People should indeed stop to consider things
> like how many other huge companies have public FTP servers AT ALL, never mind
> little details like how unusual it is to have even the possibility of
> obtaining the operating system FREE OF CHARGE.  I think there's a problem on
> the net of people _not stopping to think_ before they post.  It's in the
> Netiquette guidelines, and it's just common sense anyway, but people still
> don't do it often enough.  Anayway, I just wanted to let you know that
> there are many of us out here who appreciate what you do.
>
> --
> John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
> University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145
> Office of Facilities Management     |            Chicago, IL  60637
> B0 f++ w c+ g+ k s(+) e+ h- pv (qv) | Telephone: 312-702-6900

Same here, Chuq.
BW

jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.152446.22109@midway.uchicago.edu> jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:

>In article <52889@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here
>for the beer) writes:
>[steam-release deleted]
>
>I sympathise with you, Chuq.  People should indeed stop to consider things
>like how many other huge companies have public FTP servers AT ALL, never mind
>little details like how unusual it is to have even the possibility of
>obtaining the operating system FREE OF CHARGE.  I think there's a problem on
>the net of people _not stopping to think_ before they post.  It's in the
>Netiquette guidelines, and it's just common sense anyway, but people still
>don't do it often enough.  Anayway, I just wanted to let you know that
>there are many of us out here who appreciate what you do.
>
>--
>John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
>University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145
>Office of Facilities Management     |            Chicago, IL  60637
>B0 f++ w c+ g+ k s(+) e+ h- pv (qv) | Telephone: 312-702-6900

S M O O C H!

Guess who's stumping for first-in-line on ftp.apple.com?

jas

P.S.  ;-)  I also agree that apple is being more nice than they need
to; but am also imaptient for *someone* around here (dealer, USC, FTP)
to let me get/buy 7.0!

Jeffrey A. Sullivan		| Senior Systems Programmer
jas@venera.isi.edu		| Information Sciences Institute
jas@isi.edu                    	| University of Southern California

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.152446.22109@midway.uchicago.edu> jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:
>I sympathise with you, Chuq.  People should indeed stop to consider things
>like how many other huge companies have public FTP servers AT ALL

Give some people an inch, and they'll take a mile.  Who knows,
the people with the power at Apple may see some of the complaints
as things they don't want to deal with and pull the plug on
ftp.apple.com.  We're truely fortunate Apple has an FTP server--IBM
doesn't, Microsoft doesn't (not that are as well known as Apple's)
plus one where system software is available for anonymous FTP.

Ken

tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/16/91)

In article <kscott.674276060@locke.mmwb.ucsf.edu>, kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:
>On a negative note, it is surprising that ftp.apple.com would be down, after
>all they should have enough support.

Now, I may have read you wrong here, so if I'm off base..

ftp.apple.com (and apple.com) don't really have a whole lot of support inside
Apple as anonymous ftp sites.  As Mark J has told us many times, all the
work on those systems is done on their own time, and, despite referring to it
in APDA stuff, ftp.apple.com and apple.com aren't really recognized as official
beasts, and don't get the hardware and manhour allocations that an offical
thing would get.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.051621.11997@ecst.csuchico.edu> tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) writes:
>In article <1991May15.152446.22109@midway.uchicago.edu> jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino) writes:
>>I sympathise with you, Chuq.  People should indeed stop to consider things
>>like how many other huge companies have public FTP servers AT ALL
>
>Give some people an inch, and they'll take a mile.  Who knows,
>the people with the power at Apple may see some of the complaints
>as things they don't want to deal with and pull the plug on
>ftp.apple.com.  We're truely fortunate Apple has an FTP server--IBM
>doesn't, Microsoft doesn't (not that are as well known as Apple's)
>plus one where system software is available for anonymous FTP.
>
>Ken

Well, many of you understood my latest message very wrong so I must be
careful now. So I have only one Q: CAN YOU FTP IT NOW ?  I couldn't. I
had over two days batchftp running and trying in but nothing happened.
I know already  that Mark tried  his best. We  have emailed each other
already. So this is more like a rhetorical Q.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ============================
 P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (05/17/91)

> On a negative note, it is surprising that ftp.apple.com would be down, after
> all they should have enough support.

Is it really so surprising?

	% host -t hinfo ftp.apple.com
	ftp.apple.com is a nickname for bric-a-brac.apple.com
	bric-a-brac.apple.com HINFO MacIIx UNIX

Hundreds of people pounding a IIx.  It's a wonder it's not completely
smoked.

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/17/91)

In article <kscott.674276060@locke.mmwb.ucsf.edu>, kscott@cgl.ucsf.edu (Kevin Scott) writes:
|> >don't want to deal with that, wait a few days before FTPing.  And go
|> >in with friends: download it once, and copy the disks.
|>
|> This is exactly what we shouldn't do.  Apple wants us to download it from their
|> machine so they might keep track of who is downloading their software.  They
|> have a right to do this, unless they make an agreement with another site
|> to serve as a server we should not expect that.

It is exactly what they want us to do, but unfortunately, they can't tell us.
So just do it, never lose any word about it and there you go.
And besides, I logged into ftp.apple.com with:

user anonymous bla@bla.

They can't track down this, can they?
Before you start flaming: I was there for 2 minutes looking for additional
stuff. (I got Sys 7 on disks here in Germany on Monday (10000 miles from cupertino)). And I used my real e-mail adress as password, of course. My point is that anonymous ftp IS anonymous unless the user identifies himself purely on his own will.

Oliver.

dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May17.065303.4226@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:
>And besides, I logged into ftp.apple.com with:
>
>user anonymous bla@bla.
>
>They can't track down this, can they?
[ stuff deleted ]
>My
>point is that anonymous ftp IS anonymous unless the user identifies himself
>purely on his own will.

Almost.  They can track which IP address you came from, and then run a
finger at that IP address to see who's logged in.  Some sites do a reverse
name lookup on the hostname you type at the "password" prompt and compare it
with where you're coming from and complain if they don't match.

IMHO, Apple should encourage System 7's distribution to be as wide as
possible, almost make it "shareware".  That means not caring exactly who
snags it via FTP.  Since the only people who can run it already paid Apple
for their Macs (or own Mac Plus ROM's for their Amigas and Ataris :), it
makes little sense to restrict its distribution, even discounting the
computer industry strategic considerations.

David Paschich
dpassage@[ocf|soda].berkeley.edu

francis@math.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.065303.4226@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:

>   It [not redistributing] is exactly what they want us to do, but
>unfortunately, they can't tell us.

Of *course* they can tell us--it's their software, isn't it? They have
every right to protect it.

Been a while since I saw piracy advocated so blatantly on Usenet.

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/19/91)

In article <4381@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain
in Neutral) writes:

   Hundreds of people pounding a IIx.  It's a wonder it's not completely
   smoked.

It did, which was part of the problem.  From the comments made by Erik
and Mark, the poor thing simply couldn't handle the I/O load presented by
30+ FTP sessions (I seem to remember the phrase "5 logins a minute"...),
and A/UX crashed when some of its kernel tables overflowed (for you UNIX
kernel hackers out there, I believe it was the callout table).  Mark &
Erik then scurried around to find an FTP server patch that would limit
the number of simultaneous sessions, which would at least fix the symptom.

I'd just like to throw in a couple observations, based on watching them
try and do this while the WWDC was going on (and where they both had
"official duties" to take care of at the same time):

1. Getting System 7.0 onto ftp.apple.com and available to the Internet
   seemed to be a large personal priority to the people involved,
   especially in the face of all of the "pre-emptive" complaints from
   people who decided that it wasn't going to happen.

2. They spent a lot of time and energy running between San Jose and
   Cupertino in order to get things fixed as quickly as possible, in
   between live DTS consultations, setting up the networking for the ATG
   demo (which involved live T1 speed connections to the Apple Cray
   and NCSA, for those of you who weren't there), not to mention the
   occasional break for meals or sleep.

Personally, I was quite impressed.
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May19.053541.27596@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

	[...one reason for the possibly-deserved canonization of Mark
	 Johnson et al. deleted...]

>2. They spent a lot of time and energy running between San Jose and
>   Cupertino in order to get things fixed as quickly as possible, in
>   between live DTS consultations, setting up the networking for the ATG
>   demo (which involved live T1 speed connections to the Apple Cray
>   and NCSA, for those of you who weren't there), not to mention the
>   occasional break for meals or sleep.

	Wait a minute here - you mean they *took*time*out* for meals and
sleep?  No wonder it took so long...  :)

           John Price * * * * price@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
           Where there is no solution, there is no problem.