[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 fval vs LAYO

lriggins@afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (05/20/91)

Okay... now that I found the trashcan icon in the System file vs the Finder,
and I have my black cat back, gotta work on "re-staggering" icons.

Specifically, I used to have the staggering set so that the name of the
lower icons slipped under the name of the upper icons, but were still above
the icons in the row below.  Like so (excuse the character graphics):

    +----+                  +----+
    |    |      +----+      |    |
    |    |      |    |      |    |
+---+----+---+  |    |  +---+----+----+
+-----------++--+----+--++------------+
            +------------+
    +----+                  +----+
    |    |      +----+      |    |
    |    |      |    |      |    |
+---+----+---+  |    |  +---+----+----+
+-----------++--+----+--++------------+
            +------------+

Now with 7.0, they're staggered so severely the names of the lower icons
overlap the icons below, like so, covering the next level of icons with
names:

    +----+                  +----+
    |    |                  |    |
    |    |                  |    |
+---+----+---+  +----+  +---+----+----+
+------------+  |    |  +-------------+
                |    |
    +----+  +---+----+---+  +----+
    |    |  +------------+  |    |
    |    |                  |    |
+---+----+---+  +----+  +---+----+----+
+------------+  |    |  +-------------+

I hate this!  But I can't stand not staggering (yeah, I noticed 7.0 doesn't
overlap names in the straight alignment).  Any way of altering the staggering
(was it vertical phase before?)?

Thanks,

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.162551.26756@afit.af.mil> lriggins@afit.af.mil (L.
Maurice Riggins) writes:
> Okay... now that I found the trashcan icon in the System file vs the Finder,
> and I have my black cat back, gotta work on "re-staggering" icons.
>
> Specifically, I used to have the staggering set so that the name of the
> lower icons slipped under the name of the upper icons, but were still above
> the icons in the row below.  Like so (excuse the character graphics):
>
>     +----+                  +----+
>     |    |      +----+      |    |
>     |    |      |    |      |    |
> +---+----+---+  |    |  +---+----+----+
> +-----------++--+----+--++------------+
>             +------------+
>     +----+                  +----+
>     |    |      +----+      |    |
>     |    |      |    |      |    |
> +---+----+---+  |    |  +---+----+----+
> +-----------++--+----+--++------------+
>             +------------+
>
> Now with 7.0, they're staggered so severely the names of the lower icons
> overlap the icons, covering the next level of icons with names:
  [skipping the rest...gad]

Yeah, that's the way I used to stagger the icons too.  Wish I could get that
back, or something closer to that.  One of the few nits I have to pick about
the 7.0 changes, most of the rest of the changes I like.

Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA