[comp.sys.mac.system] How to run Apple HD SC Setup with only one HD??

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (05/20/91)

I would like to install VM on my SE/30, problem is to do this you seem to
have to run Apple HD SC Setup from _another_ system disc.  The minimal
software for a SE/30 is about 1.2Mb.  I have one of the older SE/30s with
the standard 780K (??) drives not a FDHD drive.

In Sys 6 (I remember those days like they were only yesterday :-)) you
could modifier-click to switch Finders.  Now with only MF this does not
seem possible.

Question:  How do I run Apple HD SC Setup.  The only other disk is the
AppleShare volume with the network install on it.

If I cannot run Apple HD SC Setup, how do I start VM!!!!

Details (totally superfluous): SE/30 8Mb (real), System 7.0.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

danno@css.itd.umich.edu (Daniel T. Pritts) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.200507.2655@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au> bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au writes:
>I would like to install VM on my SE/30, problem is to do this you seem to
>have to run Apple HD SC Setup from _another_ system disc.  The minimal
>software for a SE/30 is about 1.2Mb.  I have one of the older SE/30s with
>the standard 780K (??) drives not a FDHD drive.

First of all, I didn't think they ever shipped SE/30s with 800K drives.
(or is this an SE that was upgraded?  That would explain it.)

But anyway, that's irrelevant.  You can run HD setup from a 6.0 floppy,
including the one that it comes on...one of the 7.0 diskettes is called
"disk tools" and it includes a (6.0 I think) system folder.

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) (05/21/91)

On my mac, installing VM is as easy as double clicking the "Memory"
control panel, and turning it on.  That's it.  Or did I miss the
question?
Mark J. Rosen     |   Internet:  marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu