[comp.sys.mac.system] TrueType versions of the LaserWriter Fonts

dan@coyote.trw.com (05/16/91)

I just got my StylerWriter, but was disappointed to see that only the four
basic LaserWriter fonts (Helvetica, Times, Courier & Symbol) are supplied in
TrueType form.

Does System 7.0 provide the other LaserWriter+ fonts in TrueType?

Thanks,
Dan

In article <28321424.1300@deneva.sdd.trw.com> dan@coyote.trw.com writes:
>I just got my StylerWriter, but was disappointed to see that only the four
>basic LaserWriter fonts (Helvetica, Times, Courier & Symbol) are supplied in
>TrueType form.
>
>Does System 7.0 provide the other LaserWriter+ fonts in TrueType?

No.
Anyone know the legality of taking FontMonger to the ATM PlusPack?

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) (05/17/91)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>>Does System 7.0 provide the other LaserWriter+ fonts in TrueType?

>No.

Not yet.

>Anyone know the legality of taking FontMonger to the ATM PlusPack?

For personal use, should be no problem, assuming you own the Plus Pack.
Using it to get access to a font you don't own, or distributing the
conversions would be not-good.

--
Chuq Von Rospach >=< chuq@apple.com >=< GEnie:CHUQ or MAC.BIGOT >=< ALink:CHUQ
     SFWA Nebula Awards Reports Editor    =+=    Editor, OtherRealms

Recommended: ORION IN THE DYING TIME Ben Bova (Tor, Aug, ***-); SACRED
VISIONS Greeley&Cassutt (Tor, Aug, ****+); MEN AT WORK George Will (****);
XENOCIDE Orson Scott Card (August, ****)

hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA (Brad Hedstrom) (05/18/91)

In article <52993@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:
> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>>>Does System 7.0 provide the other LaserWriter+ fonts in TrueType?
> Not yet.

Is this implying that Apple will "soon" be releasing TT versions of
all of the traditional "LaserWriter Plus" fonts?

It does make sense...especially for people like me who have a
StyleWriter at home and a LaserWriter at work. I want nice Palatino
output from my StyleWriter!!!
Brad Hedstrom, Grad Student  Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
University of Victoria                   Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Internet: hedstrom@sirius.UVic.CA                     (a.k.a. Brazil North)
UUCP: ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-visions,ubc-cs}!sirius.UVic.CA!hedstrom

Disclaimer: I am a lowly Graduate Student who has difficulty
	    discerning reality from fantasy so the validity of my
	    comments is questionable and certainly does not reflect
	    the views of the University of Victoria administration.

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/21/91)

Well, I'm not sure about the LaserWriter Plus fonts, but I was pleased
to notice that 7.0 final *does* include TrueType versions of Chicago,
Monaco, Geneva, and New York.  I haven't played with them much, but at
first glance they look like very good jobs.
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda