[comp.sys.mac.system] File Sharing under System 7.0

alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) (05/20/91)

I've been working with System 7.0 and shared folders, and was wondering if
the following are possible:

  * Specify a writeable shared folder with a storage limitation.  Otherwise,
    a single shared folder can be used by some twit to fill your hard drive.

  * Examine an active guest to discover their Zone name and Chooser name.
    I realize there are applications I can run to do this, but I'd like to
    have something as convenient as double-clicking their icon in the
    File Sharing Monitor display.

Thanks in advance for any information.
--
Bob Alberti  Micro and Wkstn Networks Ctr, U of MN   // aka: Albatross| Unitar-
Internet:    alberti@boombox.micro.UMN.EDU        \\//      Images BBS| ian/

alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) (05/21/91)

In <1991May20.025520.7624@cs.umn.edu> alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) writes:

>I've been working with System 7.0 and shared folders, and was wondering if
>the following are possible:
>
>  * Specify a writeable shared folder with a storage limitation.  Otherwise,
>    a single shared folder can be used by some twit to fill your hard drive.

>  * Examine an active guest to discover their Zone name and Chooser name.
>    I realize there are applications I can run to do this, but I'd like to
>    have something as convenient as double-clicking their icon in the
>    File Sharing Monitor display.

>Thanks in advance for any information.

Another couple of questions:

   * I'm using POPmail and under 6.0.5 Popmail could compact its Hypercard
     stack without "moving" on the desktop.  Under 6.0.7 it would climb
     into the drive folder, leaving the desktop.  Under 7.0 beta Popmail
     could once again update its stack without moving.  Under this 7.0
     release POPmail insists on locating itself on the right side beneath
     the mounted drives.  What gives?

   * The 7.0 beta release was smart and kind and did not require you to
     fiddle around swapping fonts in and out of the System folders, didn't
     require the old system folder be discarded, and was much smoother than
     the final release 7.0.  Why the step backwards?

   Oh, and by the way, if you haven't yet installed 7.0, remember:

   First overwrite your old fonts with the new fonts so that OLDER duplicates
   are destroyed, then move the merged font collection back into the NEW system
   suitcase.  If you just dump your old font collection into the new system
   suitcase you may miss out on new font features.

   Don't throw away your old system folder:  rename it, and throw away just
   your old finder.  Updating is much easier when everything is still there.

   MacTCP stuff does NOT go into the Extensions folder.

   Don't leave a writeable folder available under SHARING or someone might
   fill up your hard drive with junk..