[comp.sys.mac.system] 3rd. party HD & System 7 VM

xmbs_gh@debet.nhh.no (Gunnar Helliesen) (05/20/91)

-- My setup:

Mac II with Dove Marathon 030 (32Mhz 68030) accellerator
SWIM chip + IIx ROM (24bit) upgrade
8 Mb physical RAM
66 Mb Jasmine (Rodime) Hard drive
800Kb + FDHD (1.44Mb) diskette drives
Mac II video card (8bits) + 13" color monitor
Dove FastNet III ethernet card

-- Problem:

Can't get virtual memory (VM) to work under System 7.

The HD was formated using Jasmine's SW and the installation of System 7
went w/o problems UNTIL I tried turning on VM. After that the Much
Annoying Machine simply wouldn't boot (it hung after displaying the
"Welcome to Macintosh" msg. After booting from a diskette i tried
formating the drive using DataWare (from Appolyonic Software) with no
luck. I couldn't even write to the drive after that ("Bus error" fatal
msg.). After much hassle (sad mac tune for lost boot blocks) I tried Disk
Manager Mac (from Ontrack Computer Systems) with the same result as with
the Jasmine SW.

Getting slowly pissed off I tried another drive, this time a HardPac 40Mb
from Aristotle Industries (Quantum mechanism). Same result with all 3
different formating programs. I tried removing the ethernet card (yes, I
was getting desperate) but it made no difference. At the end I tried
swearing at the machine in both Norwegian and English...

So, am I overlooking something here? Does anyone out there in NetLand
know of some NEAT formating SW that will accept ANY drive and at the
same time be compatible with System 7 VM? Or is it simply a problem with
the two drives PROMs (unimplemented APPLE special SCSI commands...?) Do
I need new Mac ROMs? Has anyone out there experienced anything similar?

Help needed and appreciated!

Gunnar.

/------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Gunnar Helliesen, Systems Consultant, MBS Fjerndata a.s, Bergen, Norway      |
| INTERNET: xmbs_gh@debet.nhh.no    PHONE: Intl + 47 5 32 58 40                |
| *** Disclaimer: The views expressed here.. and so on and so forth...         |
\------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Charlie.Mingo@p4218.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Charlie Mingo) (05/21/91)

xmbs_gh@debet.nhh.no (Gunnar Helliesen) writes:

GH> -- My setup:
GH>
GH> Mac II with Dove Marathon 030 (32Mhz 68030) accellerator
GH>
GH> -- Problem:
GH>
GH> Can't get virtual memory (VM) to work under System 7.

    In a Tech Note (either 285 or 298, I can't remember), Apple has noted
that VM is not designed to work with third-party accelerators.  This is not
to say that it's impossible to get them to work, but accelerators tend to
do many unusual things to the system at boot-time, and Apple couldn't allow
for the myriad variations possible.

    Compatability is the responsibility of Dove.  Call them to see if they
have an upgrade planned.

 * Origin: mingo@well.sf.ca.us  mingo@cup.portal.com (1:109/421.4218)