[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 Crash on FX

pkh@macpkh.meediv.lanl.gov (05/21/91)

I loaded System 7.0 on my MAC FX and I had to go back to 6.0.5...
A REAL PAIN.....
After installing System 7 on my FX and upon reboot I would get the
BOMB window and I got a message that said "BUS ERROR - RESTART and
hold down the shift key to disable SYS EXTENSIONS. Well I did what
the message said and I would get the same bomb upon reboot. I then
took everything out of the System folder and reloaded 7.0 and still
the same message upon reboot. Does not look good.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be happening???????

Thanks, Pete Haase

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (05/21/91)

In article <618@topgun.UUCP>, pkh@macpkh.meediv.lanl.gov writes:
> I loaded System 7.0 on my MAC FX and I had to go back to 6.0.5...
> A REAL PAIN.....
> After installing System 7 on my FX and upon reboot I would get the
> BOMB window and I got a message that said "BUS ERROR - RESTART and
> hold down the shift key to disable SYS EXTENSIONS. Well I did what
> the message said and I would get the same bomb upon reboot. I then
> took everything out of the System folder and reloaded 7.0 and still
> the same message upon reboot. Does not look good.
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to what might be happening???????

Pete, I have an fx that is working just fine with System 7.  You may
have an incompatible driver for your hard drive, or a NuBus card that
isn't System 7 compatible.  What NuBus boards do you have, what kind
of hard drive, and what driver do you use to format your hard drive?
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

jms20@po.CWRU.Edu (John M. Sully) (05/21/91)

In a previous article, pkh@macpkh.meediv.lanl.gov () says:

>I loaded System 7.0 on my MAC FX and I had to go back to 6.0.5...
>A REAL PAIN.....
>After installing System 7 on my FX and upon reboot I would get the
>BOMB window and I got a message that said "BUS ERROR - RESTART and
>hold down the shift key to disable SYS EXTENSIONS. Well I did what
>the message said and I would get the same bomb upon reboot. I then
>took everything out of the System folder and reloaded 7.0 and still
>the same message upon reboot. Does not look good.
>
>Does anyone have a clue as to what might be happening???????

This sounds very similar to a problem I was having this morning.  I used the
800k installer disks to update the II I'm working on to system 7.0 (from
6.0.7), and I got the same problem you're describing.  I eventually tracked
the problem to the driver for my e-net board.  The driver seems to be
incompatable with 7.0.  I used resEdit to delete it from the system
file, and everything appeared to work ok (no network, though).  I'm
back at 6.0.7, since I need the network access.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone else?

Have a day...

John
--
| John M. Sully                    | "Why do I get the idea that |
| jms20@po.cwru.edu                |  someday I'll be describing |