[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 FDHD -> 800k

markt@wpi.WPI.EDU (Mark Robert Tsombakos) (05/20/91)

I have the FDHD images for System 7, which I got from a local dealer (See,
some dealers are nice!) It installed perfectly on my IIcx and have had no
problems. Unfortunatly, the SE I have at work doesn't have a FDHD drive, so
I can't install it there. Instead of trying to download the 8 800k images
from ftp.apple.com, is there a way to put the necessary files onto 800k
disks and install from there? I probably need the Installer script to do it,
and would download the Install 1 disk to get it (unless someone will send it
to me!) Is this possible? (The dealer just had the FDHD images, so...)

I would appreciate any info on this.

HELP I want Sys 7 at work!!

     Thanks,
      John T.    ->  markt@wpi.wpi.edu

PS System 7 is almost perfect, once I get the HAM init, it will be perfect!

johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu (Bill Johnston) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.165512.1829@wpi.WPI.EDU>,
markt@wpi.WPI.EDU (Mark Robert Tsombakos) writes...

>I have the FDHD images for System 7, which I got from a local dealer [...]
>Instead of trying to download the 8 800k images
>from ftp.apple.com, is there a way to put the necessary files onto 800k
>disks and install from there?

Sounds like a good, bandwidth saving idea, but it's probably better to
get the real thing.  Yes, you could get the list of files from the
800K disk set and put together your own installer with some effort,
but you would not be ending up with the so-called "Golden Master" disks.

Despite the "Rock-Solid" claims, people will inevitably be spending
the next few weeks tracking down various System-related strangenesses.
Creating your own version of the installer disks just adds another
variable:  the DiskCopy .image files have all the nice error-checking
built-in to make sure that everybody gets an exact copy.

If you are just upgrading your Mac, you can compress and split the
image files to fit 800K floppies, then use "Mount Image" to install
the right files.  If you are going to upgrade anybody else's Mac,
the "Right Thing to Do" would be to make sure they have a real
set of System disks.  Actually, it's the LEAST that one should do
if you have any regard for the spirit of the licensing arrangement
under which Apple has arranged to provide updates by anonymous ftp.

-- Bill Johnston (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May20.165512.1829@wpi.WPI.EDU>, markt@wpi.WPI.EDU (Mark Robert Tsombakos) writes:

> I can't install it there. Instead of trying to download the 8 800k images
> from ftp.apple.com, is there a way to put the necessary files onto 800k
> disks and install from there? I probably need the Installer script to do it,

Don't even try. It's not worth it. Not only will you need the 800K install
script, but you will also have to split the System file's resources across
two disks, and somehow make Install 1 boot without a copy of Finder on it.

You are _much_ better off using the 800K set we designed.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -