[comp.sys.mac.system] Init manager for System 7

d2bx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/08/91)

I have been running the beta system 7 for a while now.  It has lots of great
features, but there are lots of conflicts with inits and cdevs.  I was
wondering if anyone using it right now has a copy of something like InitPicker
for system 7.0 which also scans the extensions folder for inits before loading
up.

Thanx,

Abi

P.S.  If such a utility is shareware, please mail a copy.

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/08/91)

d2bx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I have been running the beta system 7 for a while now.  It has lots of great
>features, but there are lots of conflicts with inits and cdevs.  I was
>wondering if anyone using it right now has a copy of something like InitPicker
>for system 7.0 which also scans the extensions folder for inits before loading
>up.

Although an Init manager would be nice, there is less need for it in 7 because
holding down shift at startup turns off ALL inits.
(Not just the ones that felt like turning off under sys6)

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) (05/08/91)

d2bx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>I have been running the beta system 7 for a while now.  It has lots of great
>features, but there are lots of conflicts with inits and cdevs.  I was
>wondering if anyone using it right now has a copy of something like InitPicker
>for system 7.0 which also scans the extensions folder for inits before loading
>up.

>Thanx,

>Abi

>P.S.  If such a utility is shareware, please mail a copy.

From what I gather, the only thing that works is Extensions Manager. I think
it is a quick hack (love the icon!) from Apple. If it's freely distributable
and not included with the System 7 update kits, I'll mail you a copy.

P.S.  How many INITs and cdevs have you managed to get rid of under System 7?
      Do you still have a lot you can't live without? Or are you anticipating
      newer versions soon.
--
<<<<  My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public :^( >>>>
< Norton Chia   |  Mail me on norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU  APPLELINK:AUST0240   >

dburr@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Captain_Picard) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.184943.4567@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> d2bx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>I have been running the beta system 7 for a while now.  It has lots of great
>features, but there are lots of conflicts with inits and cdevs.  I was
>wondering if anyone using it right now has a copy of something like InitPicker
>for system 7.0 which also scans the extensions folder for inits before loading
>up.
>

>Thanx,
>

>Abi
>
>P.S.  If such a utility is shareware, please mail a copy.

I was told by a friend of mine that there is such a utility, called
"Extension Manager".  Whether it's shareware, PD, or commercial, I have
no idea.

Does anyone know for sure?  And also, is there any other type of Sys7
INIT / cdev  / etc manager out there?
Donald Burr, Univ. of California,Berkeley | America Online: DonaldBurr
INTERNET: dburr@ocf.Berkeley.EDU          |_Compu$erve:_72540,3071_____________
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       |    "Send flames to /dev/null."

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May8.024015.16884@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
           dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) writes:
> d2bx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
> >I have been running the beta system 7 for a while now.  It has lots of
> >great features, but there are lots of conflicts with inits and cdevs.
> >I was wondering if anyone using it right now has a copy of something
> >like InitPicker for system 7.0 which also scans the extensions folder
> >for inits before loading up.
>

> Although an Init manager would be nice, there is less need for it
> in 7 because holding down shift at startup turns off ALL inits.

An init manager needs to turn off user-selectable sets of inits.  An
all-or-nothing init manager is of little (if any) value to me.  It's
better than no init-loading options at all, but not much better.
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) (05/14/91)

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
|An init manager needs to turn off user-selectable sets of inits.  An
|all-or-nothing init manager is of little (if any) value to me.  It's
|better than no init-loading options at all, but not much better.

Gee, then it's a good thing that both AAsk and Init Manager work under
System 7, right? [source: MacUser]

There's also a new utility called "Extensions Manager" by Ricardo
Batista (who happens to be from Apple) which does a pretty okay job as
well.

Sam is going to 3.0, which should fix your virus worries as well.

bill coderre

hell, System 7 even works with code *I* wrote two years ago.

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/15/91)

In article <52857@apple.Apple.COM> bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:
> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
> |An init manager needs to turn off user-selectable sets of inits.  An
> |all-or-nothing init manager is of little (if any) value to me.  It's
> |better than no init-loading options at all, but not much better.
>
> Gee, then it's a good thing that both AAsk and Init Manager work under
> System 7, right? [source: MacUser]

Lest my earlier comment (the one quoted in the article above) be mistaken, I
was not commenting on system 7.0 itself.  I was commenting on someone who said
you didn't need an init manager in system 7.0, because the system now allows
you to turn off all inits at bootup.  That feature, while helpful, should not
be confused as being a replacement for a good init manager (not for those of us
who try out lots of inits & cdevs, at least...).

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

danno@css.itd.umich.edu (Daniel T. Pritts) (05/15/91)

>Gee, then it's a good thing that both AAsk and Init Manager work under
>System 7, right? [source: MacUser]
>
>bill coderre

How about the init/cdev (which has the wonderful advantage of being free
and which I like better than the others anyway)?

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet...anyone?

dan pritts  danno@um.cc.umich.edu  userdano@umichum

fore@athena.cs.uga.edu (Howard Fore) (05/15/91)

In article <52857@apple.Apple.COM> bc@Apple.COM (bill coderre) writes:

>There's also a new utility called "Extensions Manager" by Ricardo
>Batista (who happens to be from Apple) which does a pretty okay job as
>well.

Pray tell, where does one find this "Extensions Manager" ?

Howard Fore   fore@athena.cs.uga.edu    (128.192.4.49)

norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) (05/21/91)

Extensions Manager is now available on AppleLink on the System 7 New Info
board.

Extensions Manager is useful for Sys 6 as well. I guess it is now in Pseudo
Public domain.

Sorry for all those who originally mailed me for a copy and I said it was
not distributable. Could some nice person grab it from AppleLink and upload
it please? Thanks for that.

Cheers,
Norton
--
//  Norton Chia || I can be reached via e-mail  -->  norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU /
/ Micro Support || Yes, this is Australia calling. //////  AppleLink: AUST0240 /

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (05/22/91)

In article <norton.674786163@extro> norton@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Norton Chia) writes:
>   Extensions Manager is now available on AppleLink on the System 7 New Info
>   board.

	Is the "Extensions Manager" available on ftp.apple.com, or can
	someone please put it on Sumex.  This sound like a nice 7.0
	replacement of INIT CDev or INIT Manager.

	Many thanks,

	=Mike

--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142