[comp.sys.mac.system] OzTeX 1.3 and Sys7.0?

atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) (05/20/91)

Has anyone tried OzTeX 1.3 with System 7.0?
Are there any major or minor problems to report?

T.
(atschnei@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca)
+ University of Waterloo               | atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu +
+ Department of Electrical Engineering | atschnei@vlsi.uwaterloo.ca +
+ VLSI Group                           | Office:(519)885-1211 x3896 +

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May19.190514.5556@vlsi.waterloo.edu> atschnei@vlsi.waterloo.edu (Todd Schneider) writes:
>Has anyone tried OzTeX 1.3 with System 7.0?
>Are there any major or minor problems to report?

I have tried OzTeX 1.3 and found only one problem: it gives an error when
attempting to print. Something about couldn't open LaserWriter or something
like that. So, I printed to a PostScript file, then used the LaserWriter Font
Utility to download it... No problems.

No problems anywhere else, though I haven't turned on 32-bit addressing or VM.
(Maybe the printed output to its text window is slower.)
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

sw@nan.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin) (05/22/91)

In article <34697@mimsy.umd.edu>, folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:

> I have tried OzTeX 1.3 and found only one problem: it gives an error when
> attempting to print. Something about couldn't open LaserWriter or something
> like that.

OzTeX uses PAP to talk to the printer directly, and uses PDEF 10 in the
LaserWriter file. Unfortunately, it is looking for the LW file in the System
folder, not in the new printer folder. So just move or copy the LW file
to the system folder level and all will be well. An alias won't work; you
have to move or copy the LW file itself. However, you can try putting an alias
of the LW file into the printer folder. Presumably the Chooser has been
rev'ed so that it knows how to resolve aliases?

I have code that uses PAP that has the same problem; I think we all worked
from the same MacTutor article (:-).

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK