[comp.sys.mac.system] the _best_ way to install system 7

hagan@ecs.umass.edu (05/20/91)

I have found, that the fastest/coolest way to install system 7 is:

get all of the disk image files (or the disks copied to image files)
use imagemount (or mountimage, its a CDEV in mac.archive.umich.edu,
which allows you to mount up to 8 -- wow just right -- image files
as floppies.

double click on the installer in the "drive" install1, and let it crank.
no swapping, no floppies, no nuthin. get some munchies, and let it go.
(also, it flies compared to a floppy install)

-- craig hagan  HAGAN@ecs.umass.edu

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/22/91)

In article <13750.28371ee2@ecs.umass.edu> hagan@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>I have found, that the fastest/coolest way to install system 7 is:
>
>get all of the disk image files (or the disks copied to image files)
>use imagemount (or mountimage, its a CDEV in mac.archive.umich.edu,
>which allows you to mount up to 8 -- wow just right -- image files
>as floppies.
>
>double click on the installer in the "drive" install1, and let it crank.
>no swapping, no floppies, no nuthin. get some munchies, and let it go.
>(also, it flies compared to a floppy install)

  I wouldn't recommend this because there have been some reports that the
Installer doesn't work properly with mounted disk images (Steve C is probably
going to kill me for saying this in the first place).  If it works, all the
power to you.  If it doesn't, well, consider yourselves warned.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Computer, Inc.
     blah blah blah...

In article <13750.28371ee2@ecs.umass.edu> hagan@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>I have found, that the fastest/coolest way to install system 7 is:
>
>get all of the disk image files (or the disks copied to image files)
>use imagemount (or mountimage, its a CDEV in mac.archive.umich.edu,
>which allows you to mount up to 8 -- wow just right -- image files
>as floppies.
>
>double click on the installer in the "drive" install1, and let it crank.
>no swapping, no floppies, no nuthin. get some munchies, and let it go.
>(also, it flies compared to a floppy install)

Unfortunately, this often produces a bad install or bombs during the install
process.  There seems to be a problem with MountImage and System 7.0.