Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
Subject: Re: 6.0.8
Sender: jhg@apple.com (James Glanville)

>> Anybody hear about Apple releasing an update to their System Software
>> so those computers which do not move to 7.0 can print across networks?

The quick answer is Yes.

Version 6.0.8 lets you use System 6 while sharing printers on a network
with user os System 7.  It is identical to version 6.0.7 except for its
printer software, which is the printer software used in System 7.

When System 7 is cut over into the domestic cpu boxes, System 6.0.8 will
be included with non-System 7 capable cpu's (floppy only Classic, for example).
The stand-alone System 6 upgrade kit will also be changed over to 6.0.8.  The
current target for this to happen is in July.  Meanwhile, I'll look into
getting 6.0.8 made available on ftp.apple.com.

You don't necessarily need to get System 6.0.8 if you want your 6.0 Macs to
co-exist on the network with 7.0 Macs. The 7.0 Printing disk includes an
installer script which can be used to upgrade your System 6.0 laserwriter
drivers with their 7.0 versions.  This script uses the "live-install" installer
and can be run from the network or the floppy.

Again, 6.0.8 is strictly 6.0.7 with 7.0 Laserwriter print drivers.

- James Glanville
  SSW Engineering Product Management
  Apple Computer, Inc.

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (05/22/91)

In article <53184@apple.Apple.COM> jhg@Apple.COM (James Glanville) writes, in
part:
>When System 7 is cut over into the domestic cpu boxes, System 6.0.8 will
>be included with non-System 7 capable cpu's (floppy only Classic, for example).

Will 6.0.8 + AppleShare + LW drivers fit onto an 800K disk?  We have some
Mac Plus computers w/800K drives that we still use.  We can't use System 7
on them, but it would be nice if we could upgrade LW drivers.  Unfortunately,
upgrading the computers is out of the question.  It would be very nice if
6.0.8 solves this little problem!

Lawrence Miller

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (05/22/91)

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Idiot Savant ) writes:

   Anybody hear about Apple releasing an update to their System Software
   so those computers which do not move to 7.0 can print across networks?

I believe that System 6.0.7 works fine with the 7.0 printer driver.  At
least, they were working fine together in the WWDC hardware room, and
they seem to be doing fine here at Visix.  Also, LaserWriter 5.2 seems to
work great under System 7.0.  Either way, a new OS release doesn't seem
necessary.
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (05/22/91)

Why wait for 6.0.8? Go download the 6.1 printing tools disk from ftp.apple.com
(or get a copy from someone who's bought a StyleWriter or LaserWriter LS).
It includes LaserWriter 6.1, which will coexist with 7.0, *and* supports
TrueType.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.