[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys7 incompatabilities

umh@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/22/91)

In article <4007@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP>,
howie@ssc-vax.UUCP (The Humbug Wizard @ The Emerald City) writes:

> Most of what I found that 7.0 doesn't like were DA's, Inits and CDEVs, though
> in honesty most of them work just fine.  The install went quite smoothly, and
> my system is up and running quite contendedly as far as I know.  I've
> contacted some vendors re upgrades and half of them turn out to be
> unnecessary.  Turns out, the Compatibility Checker is paranoid and if it
> doesn't know anything about a program or tool, it assumes the worst and
> tells you to contact the vendor.  Some programs turn out to be ok re 7.0
> and the only incompatibility involves 24-bit vs 32-bit mode.  I have a Plus
> and thus 24-bit mode is all I can support, so in general I seem to ok.
>
> On the whole, so far I like 7.0
>
>   INTERNET: howie@apal.boeing.com   ||     UUCP: uw-beaver!bcsaic!apal!howie

There are some sneaky things that seem to work until they bite you. An INIT for
giving double arrowheads  at the ends of scrollbars called Following seemed to
work until I found out it was causing ResEdit 2.1 to crash all the time- it
worked fine everywhere else. Also the Oh-So-Useful Temperament2 seems to work
until it actually needs to destroy a temporary document. It gives the bullet
sound then your machine crashes- and the temp file remains unkilled.

Just because a thing looks like it works, it may still bite you - so what else
is new?

Maynard Handley