[comp.sys.mac.system] altering init loading order in 7.0

stevens@cs.colorado.edu (Curt Stevens) (05/12/91)

Is there any way to determine what order the inits in 7.0 will load? Is
there any way to alter them predictably? Thanks much.

|Curt Stevens   (303) 492-1218 | / | arpa: stevens@cs.colorado.edu     |
|Univ. of Colorado, Boulder    |o o| uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|
|Computer Sci. Dept. ECOT 7-7  | | |-----------------------------------|
|Campus Box 430                |\_/| I contradict myself? Very well, I |
|Boulder, Colorado 80309  USA  |   | contradict myself. - Walt Whitman |

========
| Curt |
========

weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu (Michael Weiss) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May12.021155.4835@colorado.edu> stevens@cs.colorado.edu (Curt Stevens) writes:
>Is there any way to determine what order the inits in 7.0 will load? Is
>there any way to alter them predictably? Thanks much.

Yes.  You'll need INITPicker 3.0, which is currently in beta.  Either that,
or you can take the approach that has been used with System 6.0.x for a
few billion years and modify the name of the extension.

As an aside, don't take this as flaming, but it's not all that good an idea
to have 13 lines of signature for a 2 line question.
--
\ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | /
-  Michael Weiss  weiss@watson.seas.ucla.edu  |  School of Engineering and  -

Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May12.021155.4835@colorado.edu>, stevens@cs.colorado.edu (Curt Stevens) writes:
> Is there any way to determine what order the inits in 7.0 will load? Is
> there any way to alter them predictably? Thanks much.

Extensions in System 7 are loaded from three places:  The Extensions Folder,
the Control Panels folder, and the System Folder (in that order).  Within
each folder the extensions are loaded in "file system" order, which happens
to be alphabetical order.

Greg Marriott
Blue Meanie
Apple Computer, Inc.

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/13/91)

In article <13457@goofy.Apple.COM>, Greg@AppleLink.Apple.Com (Greg Marriott) writes...
>Extensions in System 7 are loaded from three places:  The Extensions Folder,
>the Control Panels folder, and the System Folder (in that order).

What happens if an INIT with a cdev interface is aliased to both the System
 folder and the Control Panels folder, as must be done with some current
 items. Is the INIT code loaded twice?

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!

oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu (Doc O'Leary) (05/14/91)

In article <4795@ryn.mro4.dec.com> long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

>What happens if an INIT with a cdev interface is aliased to both the System
> folder and the Control Panels folder, as must be done with some current
> items. Is the INIT code loaded twice?

In my experience, an alias does not load the original, so the cdev will not
load at startup at all (I verified this with SoundMaster) if it is aliased
in both locations.  I've had no problems putting SoundMaster in the
Extensions folder and then aliasing it from the Control Panels folder.

         ---------   Doc

**********************   Signature Block : Version 2.5  *********************
*                                     |   OK, one last time . . . This is   *
* "Was it love, or was it the idea    |   an egg . . . This is an egg in a  *
*  of being in love?" -- PF           |   frying pan . . . Any questions?   *
*    (BTW, which one *is* Pink?)      |                                     *
*                                     |   --->oleary@ux.acs.umn.edu<---     *
******************   Copyright (c) 1991 by Doc O'Leary   ********************

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/18/91)

Rich Long writes in a message to All

RL> What happens if an INIT with a cdev interface is aliased to both
RL> the System  folder and the Control Panels folder, as must be
RL> done with some current  items. Is the INIT code loaded twice?

No, it appears that an alias will not cause the INIT to load.  I worked this out because I wanted to leave one of my cdev's in the Control Panel folder but wanted its INIT to load first so I put an alias in the Extensions folder: no good.  It loaded once in the order it was in the Control Panels folder.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/19/91)

Curt Stevens writes in a message to All

CS> Is there any way to determine what order the inits in 7.0 will
CS> load? Is there any way to alter them predictably? Thanks much.

They will basically load alphabetically so you can change the order by changing the name as in System 6.0.  The only real difference is that all INIT code in the Extensions folder will load before the INITs in the Control Panels folder so you may have to move a problem cdev to the Extensions folder or vice versa.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/22/91)

	Any problems I have with INITs/CDEVs I solve by putting the actual
INIT/CDEV into the extensions folder with an alias in the Control Panels
folder. The control panel picks up the alias but the bootup procedure only
sees the "real" file.
	And don't forget, if you have a problem with an INIT that MUST be
at base level in the System Folder you can probably bag using that INIT
with system 7 unless you are willing to put EVERYTHING in the system folder
with it!
	PC
--
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)