[comp.sys.mac.system] Tell me: what was System 1.0 like?

hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) (05/10/91)

With 7-Day rapidly approaching, let's get nostalgic, shall we?

I've only had a Mac for 2 years, so I'll let the oldtimers answer the
question:  What was the original Mac system (1.0) like?  (Note:  if 1.0
wasn't stable, then what was the first stable system after 1.0 like?)

Just wondering,
*Dave Hollinsworth               * It's astounding, time is fleeting.         *
*hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * Madness takes its toll.  -Riff Raff, RHPS  *
***********   DISCLAIMER:  They're my opinions.  Are they yours?   ************

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/10/91)

hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) writes:

>With 7-Day rapidly approaching, let's get nostalgic, shall we?

>I've only had a Mac for 2 years, so I'll let the oldtimers answer the
>question:  What was the original Mac system (1.0) like?  (Note:  if 1.0
>wasn't stable, then what was the first stable system after 1.0 like?)

  Actually, the first system to come out (with the 128K) was System
0.97, and it seemed to be moderately stable.  There of course was nothing
like MultiFinder, Font/DA Mover didn't even exist (i.e. you
couldn't install or remove fonts), and it used to take about 30 disk
swaps to copy a disk.
  The System File was a whole 50K or so.
  Other than that I don't remember much.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"And remember, whatever you do, DON'T MENTION THE WAR!"

hooverb@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Bruce Hoover) (05/10/91)

From article <13942@ur-cc.UUCP>, by hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth):
> With 7-Day rapidly approaching, let's get nostalgic, shall we?
>
> I've only had a Mac for 2 years, so I'll let the oldtimers answer the
> question:  What was the original Mac system (1.0) like?  (Note:  if 1.0
> wasn't stable, then what was the first stable system after 1.0 like?)

Well, for starters, in the begining Apple didn't give a single number to
the entire system software package. Thus you might be using finder 5.??
with system 3.?? but ImageWriter 2.?? etc. etc. It got fairly confusing
just trying to remember what went with what.

It is hard to remember just what has changed, but I remember
"mini-finders" for one. I don't know when they left, but the idea was
that if you had a (400K) disk with so much stuff on it that there was no
room for a finder (remember that we all had only one 400K drive) then
you put a mini-finder which just listed the available programs.

Of course HFS was a real treat after the original system where folders
were purely cosmetic. Whenever an open box etc. came up, every file on
the entire device was listed. It also meant that you could not have two
files by the same name in different folders. (That is why you still see
some folders with the option f character after the name of the folder.
This way you could name the folder "AppX f" and the application inside
could be named AppX.

There have been a myriad of small changes over the past 7 years. We used
to have Choose Printer instead of Chooser... the control panel looked
different (it was all on one "page" and didn't allow for Cdevs.)

At first we only had MacPaint and MacWrite and the windows (especially
MacPaint) wouldn't resize. It also seems that the disk icons, etc would
zoom differently than now. Now they more or less zoom from where they
are, whereas in the early sysem, them seemed to sort of fly out toward
the middle of the screen, and then zoom (the reverse on close).

Another feature  was the fact that if you launched an application from a
desk with a system folder, then that disk became your new start-up disk.
I also remember when the 512k first arrived (we called them "Fat Macs').
We all wondered why it still took about 20 million disk swaps to copy a
400k disk, with all that 'extra' ram. A serious case of Mac Elbow...

I'm sure that I have forgotten a lot. Somebody else?...
Bruce

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (05/10/91)

In article <13942@ur-cc.UUCP>, hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) writes:

> With 7-Day rapidly approaching, let's get nostalgic, shall we?
>
> I've only had a Mac for 2 years, so I'll let the oldtimers answer the
> question:  What was the original Mac system (1.0) like?  (Note:  if 1.0
> wasn't stable, then what was the first stable system after 1.0 like?)

I believe one of the developer CDs (Phil & Dave's maybe?) has an app
(or maybe a stack) that can create a startup disk for any System version
from Day One.

One of my favorite "collateral materials" from the early days were the
Windham Hill cassettes "Introduction to Macintosh". I wish I still had
them...

Michael Costello, Meeting Director * costello@world.std.com * 617-625-7080
     BCS*Mac  *  The Boston Computer Society Macintosh User Group

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May10.045757.25862@neon.Stanford.EDU>, torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
|> hlsw_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Dave Hollinsworth) writes:
|>
|> >With 7-Day rapidly approaching, let's get nostalgic, shall we?
|>
|> >I've only had a Mac for 2 years, so I'll let the oldtimers answer the
|> >question:  What was the original Mac system (1.0) like?  (Note:  if 1.0
|> >wasn't stable, then what was the first stable system after 1.0 like?)
|>
|>   Actually, the first system to come out (with the 128K) was System
|> 0.97, and it seemed to be moderately stable.  There of course was nothing
|> like MultiFinder, Font/DA Mover didn't even exist (i.e. you
|> couldn't install or remove fonts), and it used to take about 30 disk
|> swaps to copy a disk.
|>   The System File was a whole 50K or so.
|>   Other than that I don't remember much.

The finder was version 1.1g, and had the mountain picture in its about box
that I hear is making a comeback with System 7.  The main things I remember
about it were:

   1. The text at the top of the finder's windows saying how much space was
free was geneva 9 bold.
   2. It was _really_ slow.  A friend of mine used to parody the old ad by
saying "If you know how to wait, you know how to use a Macintosh," and he
wasn't far off.  You would double-click on an application to launch it, it
did the equivalent of HyperCard's "visual effect zoom out very slowly and
let me take a coffee break".  The disk swapping was horrendous (they were
only 400K disks, but at the time that seemed huge).  It seemed impossible that
anybody could want more than 128K of memory.
   3. Updating the desktop took forever: when you ejected a disk you'd have
to wait 15 seconds or so.
   4. You couldn't drag more than one disk icon to the trash at the same time.
   5. There was no HFS or HyperCard, of course.
   6. The Mac came with MacPaint and MacWrite, which at the time were truly
avant garde applications and the envy of all my friends.

Anybody have any other reminiscences?

	--Mark

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (05/10/91)

In article <75204@brunix.UUCP> man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:

>|>   Actually, the first system to come out (with the 128K) was System
>|> 0.97, and it seemed to be moderately stable.  There of course was nothing
>|> like MultiFinder, Font/DA Mover didn't even exist (i.e. you
>|> couldn't install or remove fonts), and it used to take about 30 disk
>|> swaps to copy a disk.
>|>   The System File was a whole 50K or so.
>|>   Other than that I don't remember much.

I got a Macintosh (NOT a Mac 128, because there was only one model) in
April 1984, along with an Imagewriter printer and a copy of Microsoft Basic.
MacWrite and MacPaint came bundled with it.  At the time, the only other
application you could buy was Microsoft Multiplan (a spreadsheet,
predecessor to Excel).  I remember how ecstatic I was that Fall when
MacForth came out and I could actually PROGRAM USING THE TOOLBOX!  (I
didn't get Inside Macintosh until June 1985, when the phone-book
Promotional Edition was released).

>The finder was version 1.1g, and had the mountain picture in its about box
>that I hear is making a comeback with System 7.  The main things I remember
>about it were:

That version was released in June '84.  Mine started out with Finder 1.0,
which had a very boring About... box.

>  1. The text at the top of the finder's windows saying how much space was
>free was geneva 9 bold.

Yeah, I remember that.  They changed it in version 4.1.  I like it better
in plain text.

>  2. It was _really_ slow.  A friend of mine used to parody the old ad by
>saying "If you know how to wait, you know how to use a Macintosh," and he
>wasn't far off.  You would double-click on an application to launch it, it
>did the equivalent of HyperCard's "visual effect zoom out very slowly and
>let me take a coffee break".  The disk swapping was horrendous (they were
>only 400K disks, but at the time that seemed huge).  It seemed impossible that
>anybody could want more than 128K of memory.

I honestly don't remember noticing slowness at the time.  I guess I was
having too much fun.  Also, who else remembers the "Disk Copy" program?
This was a truly awesome hack that was intended to reduce the number of
swaps required when copying a diskette.  Since the 400K floppies held close
to four times as much information as the ENTIRE RAM CAPACITY of the
machine, there was no way to completely eliminate swapping, but the Disk Copy
program got it down to the minimum four.  How did they do it, you ask?
THEY USED MOST OF THE DISPLAY MEMORY!!!   When you started up Disk Copy it
eliminated the menubar and constrained the cursor to a tiny area at the
bottom of the screen, which had a few push-button controls.  The rest of
the screen was used as part of the copy buffer.  It was psychedelic to
watch the patterns that appeared as information was read in.

>  4. You couldn't drag more than one disk icon to the trash at the same time.

It also only let you drag icons of ejected disks to the trash.  You had to
use the Eject command first.

>  5. There was no HFS or HyperCard, of course.
>  6. The Mac came with MacPaint and MacWrite, which at the time were truly
>avant garde applications and the envy of all my friends.

Those two programs blew me away when I first saw them.  When you think
about the hardware constraints (RAM size mostly) of the original Macintosh,
you gain new respect for the designers of those programs.  How they were
able to get them to do so much in so little space I don't know.  Did you
know that the application memory area (usable RAM) on the original
Macintosh was less than 90K?  Gleep!

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (05/10/91)

In article <75204@brunix.UUCP>, man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes...
>The finder was version 1.1g, and had the mountain picture in its about box
>that I hear is making a comeback with System 7.

Command-option "About this Macintosh" in the Finder.  I'll be damned!
Is it the same PICT, or are the mountains a bit different looking?

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/11/91)

In article <1515@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> hooverb@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Bruce Hoover) writes:
>Of course HFS was a real treat after the original system where folders
>were purely cosmetic. Whenever an open box etc. came up, every file on
>the entire device was listed. It also meant that you could not have two
>files by the same name in different folders. (That is why you still see
>some folders with the option f character after the name of the folder.
>This way you could name the folder "AppX f" and the application inside
>could be named AppX.

Remember the little dot between the lines at the top left of the Finder
windows that told us this was an HFS disk/folder? Anyone else notice the
dot is missing from System 7 Finder windows?

>At first we only had MacPaint and MacWrite and the windows (especially
>MacPaint) wouldn't resize. It also seems that the disk icons, etc would

Don't forget Microsoft Basic and Multiplan. There were lots of small utilities
written with Basic, like Dennis Brothers MacTep terminal program. As a side
note, Microsoft forgot to put identifiers on their registration cards for
the two programs. So, when you sent it in, they knew you bought SOMETHING
for the Mac, but not what. It was quite simple to switch to the other
product, and receive the next upgrade (which actually was FREE!).

>Another feature  was the fact that if you launched an application from a
>desk with a system folder, then that disk became your new start-up disk.
>I also remember when the 512k first arrived (we called them "Fat Macs').
>We all wondered why it still took about 20 million disk swaps to copy a
>400k disk, with all that 'extra' ram. A serious case of Mac Elbow...

Remember the four-swap copy that used screen memory to hold disk data? This
was a tremendous relief for the swap-weary. It went away when the 512K Macs
came out. Oh the reason for all the swaps? The Mac came out in late January,
and the external drive in May/June. Most of us got our drives about August
or so. That, of course, meant copying disk using only ONE drive.

One other note - I note in the notes for the latest MPW from the ETO disk that
the libraries no longer support the old 64K ROMs. I guess both people left
running original 128K Macs will finally need to upgrade! :-).

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (05/11/91)

In article <53223@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>Command-option "About this Macintosh" in the Finder.  I'll be damned!
>Is it the same PICT, or are the mountains a bit different looking?
>
>Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

Option "About this Macintosh" alone brings it up for me.  Command-option
"About..." brings up the pict along with giving me a goofy smileyface cursor
with its tongue sticking out... *heh*

Bruce Carter                             Internet:     bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Courseware Development Coordinator                     duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise State University                   Bitnet/CREN:  DUSCARTE@IDBSU

warack@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Christopher Warack) (05/11/91)

I got mine in Nov 84.

Remember that the finder didn't do much...  Others pointed out that folders
were a hack.  Also, no shut down.  I seem to remember articles in the
Mac mags about how to turn off your Mac without screwing up :-).  I think
the two most common problems were 1) disks corrupted by turning off your
Mac in the middle of an access; and 2) disks corrupted by having your
external disk drive too near your power supply.

The most popular game was Lode Runner?  Of course, Amazing and the Puzzle
DA came with it...

No small icons in the Finder either.

-- Chris

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/11/91)

In article <53223@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>In article <75204@brunix.UUCP>, man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes...
>>The finder was version 1.1g, and had the mountain picture in its about box
>>that I hear is making a comeback with System 7.
>
>Command-option "About this Macintosh" in the Finder.  I'll be damned!
>Is it the same PICT, or are the mountains a bit different looking?

I don't know about the mountains being the same, but am I the only one
who has opened that particular window and let it sit?  I haven't heard
anyone mention it yet, but go ahead and try this:

System 7b4, command-option "About This Macintosh" (which becomes
"About The Finder").  You get the mountains screen, but let it sit for
awhile.  You'll notice names start to scroll across the bottom...

Credits for all the Finder designers back to the Lisa.

Nice touch, guys.

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.181350.28836@zip.eecs.umich.edu> warack@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Christopher Warack) writes:
>I got mine in Nov 84.
>
>Remember that the finder didn't do much...  Others pointed out that folders
>were a hack.  Also, no shut down.  I seem to remember articles in the
>Mac mags about how to turn off your Mac without screwing up :-).  I think
>the two most common problems were 1) disks corrupted by turning off your
>Mac in the middle of an access; and 2) disks corrupted by having your
>external disk drive too near your power supply.
>
>The most popular game was Lode Runner?  Of course, Amazing and the Puzzle
>DA came with it...
My best friend coerced his dad into getting him one for school at the
beginning of the '84 school year.  The MacPaint, MacWrite, &
ImageWriter combo blew away anything created on a PC; and when our
school bought a LaserWriter... forget it!
However, whenever the power went out (not too often) usually whatever
disk was in the machine was trashed.
Wizardry was my favourite game and I spent many a weekend playing
while he slept.
Lode Runner was also very popular.  As a matter of fact, he got out
his old 400K disks and booted Lode Runner on his "new" SE a month ago
and saw our high scores from '85!  Way cool.

Brad

Brad West                 "They say the secret of success is being
brad@aerospace.aero.org   at the right place at the right time.
bwest@nunki.usc.edu       But since you never know when the right
                          TIME is going to be, I figure the trick
                          is to find the right PLACE and just hang
                          around!"  -  Calvin

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/13/91)

	One thing I remember from the early (128K) days was Apple's
diskcopy program. In order to reduce the # of swaps necessary to copy
a 400K disk, diskcopy would grab video memory and leave some real cute
garbage on the screen.
	Peter C
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) (05/13/91)

From article <1991May10.171628.19512@MDI.COM>,
  by jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle):

> One other note - I note in the notes for the latest MPW from the ETO disk that
> the libraries no longer support the old 64K ROMs. I guess both people left
> running original 128K Macs will finally need to upgrade! :-).

  Not on your life! My 128k mac has been much more reliable than the IIcx
that is sitting on my desk at work. Even after 6 years, it still runs
Mac Paint, Mac Write (disk-based, so I can work on 12 page documents) and
plays a mean game of Defender, Megaroids and Missile command.

  Long live MFS!

  cheers

    christian legg

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.171628.19512@MDI.COM> jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
>Remember the little dot between the lines at the top left of the Finder
>windows that told us this was an HFS disk/folder? Anyone else notice the
>dot is missing from System 7 Finder windows?

  I submitted the absence of that dot as a bug around the time of the a9
release.  Funny that nothing was done about it, but I guess it's not all
that important.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May10.171628.19512@MDI.COM> jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:

>Remember the four-swap copy that used screen memory to hold disk data? This
>was a tremendous relief for the swap-weary. It went away when the 512K Macs
>came out. Oh the reason for all the swaps? The Mac came out in late January,
>and the external drive in May/June. Most of us got our drives about August
>or so. That, of course, meant copying disk using only ONE drive.

Can't compare to running the Installer (for Sys6.0.5) on 1 drive: the
damned thing copies 1 resource at a time.  I didn't know this before I
started.  It took about 90 minutes and about a million swaps.

I've been assured that the Sys7 Installer doesn't do this.  :-)

--
/============================================================================\
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|

schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu (Stan Schwerin) (05/14/91)

In article <1CE00001.fag0yk@stx.UUCP> costello%stx.UUCP@world.std.com writes:

>One of my favorite "collateral materials" from the early days were the
>Windham Hill cassettes "Introduction to Macintosh". I wish I still had
>them...

I have a whole box of these cassettes.  Contact me about obtaining some.  Too
bad I threw out a whole box of original Macintosh manuals :^(

--
* Stan Schwerin                 Internet:  schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu   *
* Yo                            AppleLink: SCHWERIN1                          *

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/14/91)

In article <3247@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> legg@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Christian Legg) writes:
>From article <1991May10.171628.19512@MDI.COM>,
>  by jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle):
>
>> One other note - I note in the notes for the latest MPW from the ETO disk that
>> the libraries no longer support the old 64K ROMs. I guess both people left
>> running original 128K Macs will finally need to upgrade! :-).
>
>  Not on your life! My 128k mac has been much more reliable than the IIcx
>that is sitting on my desk at work. Even after 6 years, it still runs
>Mac Paint, Mac Write (disk-based, so I can work on 12 page documents) and
>plays a mean game of Defender, Megaroids and Missile command.
>
>  Long live MFS!

This brings up a question. How many of you running either 128K Macs or
upgraded 128K Macs are still using the ORIGINAL battery? My original 128K
machine, now with 1 Meg of RAM, DS drive and 128K ROMs, still has its original
battery, over seven years since purchase (Feb 1984). Apple originally said
it would last about a year...  I'm just wondering if I will ever need a
replacement! Oh yes - original power supply, too!

It even has its original Steve Jobs signature, too... :-) :-) :-)

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (05/14/91)

From article <1991May10.154919.25794@midway.uchicago.edu>, by jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john  cavallino):
> In article <75204@brunix.UUCP> man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
>>In article <1991May10.045757.25862@neon.Stanford.EDU>, torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:
>>  6. The Mac came with MacPaint and MacWrite, which at the time were truly
>>avant garde applications and the envy of all my friends.
>
> Those two programs blew me away when I first saw them.  When you think
> about the hardware constraints (RAM size mostly) of the original Macintosh,
> you gain new respect for the designers of those programs.  How they were
> able to get them to do so much in so little space I don't know.  Did you
> know that the application memory area (usable RAM) on the original
> Macintosh was less than 90K?  Gleep!

Well, did any of you experience Radio Shacks TRS-80s?  I had a 4K RAM
machine, and used to play chess on it!  How do you write a Chess program
with 4K of available memory?  Of course, it was pretty easy to beat,
but amazing nonetheless.

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52242                                  '76 R90S

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.191418.3431@MDI.COM>, jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
|> This brings up a question. How many of you running either 128K Macs or
|> upgraded 128K Macs are still using the ORIGINAL battery? My original 128K
|> machine, now with 1 Meg of RAM, DS drive and 128K ROMs, still has its original
|> battery, over seven years since purchase (Feb 1984). Apple originally said
|> it would last about a year...  I'm just wondering if I will ever need a
|> replacement! Oh yes - original power supply, too!

I've still got the original battery, but not the original power supply.  Mine was
also bought in Feb 1984 (though I didn't get it until March...).

	--Mark

gagne@fourier.phy.ulaval.ca (Philippe Gagne) (05/14/91)

In article <1CE00001.fag0yk@stx.UUCP> costello%stx.UUCP@world.std.com writes:

>One of my favorite "collateral materials" from the early days were the
>Windham Hill cassettes "Introduction to Macintosh". I wish I still had
>them...

But the english version of this cassette was nothing compared to the french
version. The woman speaking in it had a voice so sensual that working on
a Mac was better than looking at the GIF you find in a.s.p !:-).

Those were good times... And please forgive my english syntax errors!

Philippe Gagne	gagne@phy.ulaval.ca

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (05/14/91)

Here's another question I'm curious about, that someone might care to answer:
What was the difference between System 1.0 (which came with Finder 1.1g)
and System 2.0 (which included Finder 4.1)?

While we're at it, how come there was a jump in numbering from 1.1g to 4.1?
The odd thing is that the "FNDR" creator resource for Finder 4.1 actually
contains the version number 2.2.

OK, I'll confess I'm saving this information up, for use in the ultimate
trivia competition someday...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
Why MCA?

lucas@ziggy.UCSC.edu (Wolfsen Lucas) (05/15/91)

My first experience was with my fat mac (512K).  The Guided Tour disks had Finder
version 1.0 on them.  The About Finder command produced a rather unusual dialog
box.  But the one thing that I remember very well (and can't imagine being without
it again) is that the early versions of the Finder didn't have a Reboot or Shutdown
command in the Special menu.  There was a DA Shutdown program that would shutdown
the mac.  Can you imagine using the power switch to do a reboot?!

schwerin@milton.u.washington.edu (Stan Schwerin) (05/15/91)

I do indeed have about 20 "A Guided Tour of Macintosh and MacWrite -
MacPaint".  1984 Windham Hill.  I think I already recycled the floppy
disks, but I'll keep looking.

Also available (7) "A Guided Tour of MacDraw"  1984.  (2) "Macintosh
512KE Guided Tour"  1986.

If you send me a new blank tape and return postage, I will send you
the original.  Early requests get unopened/unused tapes.  (I'll try not
to send overused copies)

Stan Schwerin
University of Washington
SB-59
Seattle, WA.   98195

--

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/15/91)

In article <6036@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_eld09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
>Well, did any of you experience Radio Shacks TRS-80s?  I had a 4K RAM
>machine, and used to play chess on it!  How do you write a Chess program
>with 4K of available memory?  Of course, it was pretty easy to beat,
>but amazing nonetheless.

Haha! Yeah, I remember entering Junior High and being wowed by those
16 K Trs-80's... yep, *my* school had the high-end models 8-)

A year later, my dad bought me a 48K Model III and my friends asked me,
"What in the world are you going to do with *all*that*memory*???" (I
needed it so I could run TRS-DOS and not just casette...)

(Hmm, nowadays, I use 150 Meg TEAC tapes to back up my stuff... tapes
which bear an uncanny resemblance to those cassettes I used to use with
the TRS-80...)

Now we're all whining about how our IIx, SE/30, etc are limited by the
16 Meg Limit...

--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu      Bitnet: 2fntnougat@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/15/91)

>  I submitted the absence of that dot as a bug around the time of the a9
>  release.  Funny that nothing was done about it, but I guess it's not all
>  that important.
Yeah, I guess they decided that it was about time to stop supporting
MFS...

On a different note: I remember a time when I figured I had *every*
PD/Shareware program avilable on the Mac on my floppies... I think
that notion went away sometime in '85 or '86... (I'd need a bunch of
Optical Disks just to keep them all nowadays 8-)

--

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (05/15/91)

francis@magrathea.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
> Can't compare to running the Installer (for Sys6.0.5) on 1 drive: the
> damned thing copies 1 resource at a time.  I didn't know this before I
> started.  It took about 90 minutes and about a million swaps.

	Either the Installer was changed big-time between 6.0.5 and 6.0.7
or I'm confused.  Just this afternoon, I used the Installer to prepare a
boot floppy with minimal Mac Plus system software, responder, appleshare
workstation software, and the LaserWriter 5.2 driver on my IIcx with a
single floppy drive.  Booted up from a (locked) 800k 6.0.7 System Tools
disk, dragged my hard disk into the trash, and did the install on another
800k floppy.  Only took about 9 swaps that I can remember (System Tools,
Target, Utilities 1, Target, Utilities 2, Target, Printer Tools, Target,
System Tools).  No big deal.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (05/15/91)

In article <15783@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, lucas@ziggy.UCSC.edu (Wolfsen Lucas) writes:

> Can you imagine using the power switch to do a reboot?!

No, because I always used the "programmers" switch that came with my 128. :->

I remember there was no "Set Startup..." command, Andy Hertzfeld's switcher app
was pretty popular, you couldn't throw away your startup disk (to eject it),
also the very first few systems had a different system error alert to the
effect of "Sorry a serious system error occurred. You can either choose to
resume or restart the computer."

Just my memories...

Dan

/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |
|--------------------------------------------------|  ||   ||   ||\ /||   |
|   INTERNET  -----> dweisman@umiami.IR.Miami.edu  |  ||   ||   || | ||   |
|     BITNET  -----> dweisman@umiami               |  |||||||   || | ||   |
|       "The more I get to see, the less I understand..."    - Triumph    |
\_________________________________________________________________________/

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (05/15/91)

>I remember there was no "Set Startup..." command,

Instead there was the Minifinder.  When one of my less-than-expert
colleagues switched from a Mac 512 to a Plus with 4 meg RAM, he started
to use Multifinder.  Some of his old disks were minifinder start-up disks.
Somehow (don't ask me how) he managed to get Minifinder running under
Multifinder.  It was really weird!

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
  Department of Mathematics      Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May14.233935.18192@hawk.cs.ukans.edu> chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) writes:
>>  I submitted the absence of that dot as a bug around the time of the a9
>>  release.  Funny that nothing was done about it, but I guess it's not all
>>  that important.
>Yeah, I guess they decided that it was about time to stop supporting
>MFS...

System 7 supports MFS disks quite nicely. I can read and write (format, too)
400K disks all day long. It's just the little dot that used to denote HFS
windows in the Finder has gone away. I guess five years from now we will
have a thread with memories of "the little HFS dot."

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

mark@megatek.UUCP (mark thompson) (05/16/91)

Help me, I can't resist. You had to get a copy of the "Alice" demo, which
wasn't a product, but was really mind boggling to play with. I had never
seen a computer at anything like a reasonable price that would do that.

CE software published a DA installer because there was no other reasonable
way for them to sell DAs. Apple's tool would only do fonts.

-mark
--
Rocket J. Squirrel			{uunet,ucsd,sun}!megatek!mark
	"Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a Rabbit out of my hat!"

jcav@quads.uchicago.edu (john cavallino) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.171142.1992@MDI.COM> jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
>System 7 supports MFS disks quite nicely. I can read and write (format, too)
>400K disks all day long. It's just the little dot that used to denote HFS
>windows in the Finder has gone away. I guess five years from now we will
>have a thread with memories of "the little HFS dot."

Actually, System 7 Finder only minimally supports MFS diskettes.  All MFS
folder support has been removed (MFS folders don't show up at all), and it
won't let you drag folders onto an MFS disk (it displays an alert warning you
to drag the items inside individually).  Oh well.  I think it would have
presented a cleaner user interface if they had continued to support MFS
folders, but perhaps the code was too arcane to be worth updating.

--
John Cavallino                      |     EMail: jcav@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago Hospitals     |    USMail: 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Box 145
Office of Facilities Management     |            Chicago, IL  60637
B0 f++ w c+ g+ k s(+) e+ h- pv (qv) | Telephone: 312-702-6900

osh@jhereg.osa.com (John M. O'Shaughnessy) (05/16/91)

Ahh yes, the cassettes.  I thought it was pretty slick to sync up the music
with the machine via a tone and a mouse click.

Back when I was at Control Data we created a specialized graphics terminal
program for the Macintosh by using the Lisa development system.  The
amazing thing is that with a recompile, the thing still works!  The help
notes in the software explain that the 128K version is lacking some of the
features of the 512K version...

I still have my original manuals, as well as the cassettes and a LOT of
400K disks!  Heck, we still are using two Lisa's with MacWorks Plus.

John

--
John M. O'Shaughnessy            osh@osa.com
Open Systems Architects, Inc.    Minneapolis, MN

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (05/17/91)

That reminds me of one of the truly fun applications that came
out with System 1.0: Amazing.  It was a maze-generating program
with 4 levels of difficulty (the hardest level included to layers
of the maze with ramps and all sorts of stuff).  This program
ran as recently as System 6.0.5 (I haven't gotten System 7 yet).
When you got to the end of the maze, a picture of a penguin
blowing a trumpet showed up.  It could also show you how to
get from your current cursor position to the end of the maze
(it did this by xoring the path between start and finish:
the part you already traversed turned back to the original
white and the part you did wrong or hadn't done stayed/turned
black.  It traced the path from both ends in this maneuver,
so you couldn't just "follow" where it went).

	--Mark

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/17/91)

In article <15783@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, lucas@ziggy.UCSC.edu (Wolfsen Lucas) writes:
|> ... But the one thing that I remember very well (and can't imagine being
|> without it again) is that the early versions of the Finder didn't have a
|> Reboot or Shutdown command in the Special menu.  There was a DA Shutdown
|> program that would shutdown the mac.  Can you imagine using the power
|> switch to do a reboot?!

	Actually, there was always the "programmer switch"; that little
piece of plastic that you inserted into into the cooling slots in the
lower rear of the left side. Always did the job for me.
	I was ticked off when I upgraded to the 512K "Fat Mac" and my
dealer forced an extra trip into town to get my switch back. Then, when I
went to my Plus upgrade and the switch didn't fit quite right any more and
had to pulled out after pressing.
	I still use mine when the system hangs.

	Peter C

--

jnsims01@ulkyvx.bitnet (05/21/91)

In article <1991May10.171628.19512@MDI.COM>, jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) writes:
> ... Oh the reason for all the swaps? The Mac came out in late January,
> and the external drive in May/June. Most of us got our drives about August
> or so. That, of course, meant copying disk using only ONE drive.

I remember that there was some sort of unofficial tech note from Apple which
gave the pinouts for a cable hack to connect a drive mechanism from the service
spare parts kit as an external drive. I must have sneaked that drive home
every night for three months so I could run with *TWO* drives - I thought I'd
died and gone to heaven!

 My wife AND my employer ignore my opinions - feel free to do the same!
. John Norman Sims, Jr.  /  BITNET: JNSIMS01@ULKYVM or JNSIMS01@ULKYVX .
. Univ. of Louisville / Computing & Telecommunications / (502)588-5565 .
 You can't win, you can't break even, and you can't get out of the game

jnsims01@ulkyvx.bitnet (05/21/91)

In article <75204@brunix.UUCP>, man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) writes:
> The finder was version 1.1g, and had the mountain picture in its about box
> that I hear is making a comeback with System 7.

Nope. 1.1g was the first upgrade. (My 128K had a four digit serial number -
those were the days! 8-) )
>    4. You couldn't drag more than one disk icon to the trash at the same
>       time.

Again, being able to drag *any* disk to the trashcan was an improvement over
the original mechanism which only allowed you to eject disks, but left the disk
cluttered with icons of disks that were no longer inserted.

>    6. The Mac came with MacPaint and MacWrite, which at the time were truly
> avant garde applications and the envy of all my friends.

True, oh King! How many folks do you suppose sat down in front of MacPaint and
didn't get up for four hours? I vividly remember a customer of mine coming by
the store to see the Mac for the first time: he sat down, fired up MacPaint,
sat there for an hour, then got up and said 'got to have one of those!', and
took one home ($2,495/no discounts - or was it $2,995?)! He stayed up all night
that first night...

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.103452.344@ulkyvx.bitnet>, jnsims01@ulkyvx.bitnet writes:
|> I vividly remember a customer of mine coming by
|> the store to see the Mac for the first time: he sat down, fired up MacPaint,
|> sat there for an hour, then got up and said 'got to have one of those!', and
|> took one home ($2,495/no discounts - or was it $2,995?)! He stayed up all night

I paid $2995, but that price included an ImageWriter (it was a real marvel in its
day, too), a carrying case, and a box of 10 400K diskettes.

	--Mark