[comp.sys.mac.system] Desktop Pattern Colors

cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) (05/22/91)

Sometime soon before I upgraded to S7 I lost the color in the Desktop
pattern area of the General cdev. When I upgraded, I still didn't have
color choices in that area. Anyone know how I can get them back? The
monitors cdev/panel is set to color and 256, everything about the
machine is color; just no color choices in the Pattern area.

= Gary Goldberg
Census Bureau/DIR/SIRS
AOL:OgGreeb
cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu - but not for long :(

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.013925.23127@umbc3.umbc.edu> cs421317@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs421317) writes:
>Sometime soon before I upgraded to S7 I lost the color in the Desktop
>pattern area of the General cdev. When I upgraded, I still didn't have
>color choices in that area. Anyone know how I can get them back? The
>monitors cdev/panel is set to color and 256, everything about the
>machine is color; just no color choices in the Pattern area.

Gary, I ran into this when I installed my Seiko 13" monitor.  Couldn't
get the General cdev to show any color options under 6.0.5 for the
desktop pattern.

After hunting about, calling RasterOps (my 264/30 card is from them), I
finally recalled something about what determined the desktop pattern.
Look in your System file at resources 'ppat ID=16'.  If this is
_anything_ other than a gray pattern, there is your problem!

In my case, a cdev (whose name I can't recall) had replaced ppat ID=16
with it's own "neato" pattern.  This kept the General cdev from working
properly.  I opened a 'virgin' copy of the System 6.0.5 System file,
copied ppat ID=16, pasted it into my System file (live! Oooo scary!),
and rebooted.

Things work just fine now.

   Paul

   BTW, while we are on color desktops, how does one ADD more pattern
   choices to the General cdev?  Can it be done in the control panel, or
   must I hack in ResEdit?
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |