[comp.sys.mac.system] Installing Problem

rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) (05/16/91)

I sure hope one of you can help me.  I've tried to install system 7 and
can't get it to boot.
System: Mac Classic 4M w/ APS 105 MB hard drive.
Problem: Installer says "install complete, you must reboot to use your
new software".  So I do, and I get a happy Mac, then the white bar appears
accross the top (no menu headings) and the drive select light comes on and
the stopwatch never goes away.
I've tried to reinstall with a very minimal system, but it still fails the
same way.
Is it possible some of my install disks are bad? I had to replace 2 of the
five disks because Install said they were bad (Install 2 and Tidbits). The
other 3 seem to do their proper tasks w/out error.
Am I installing right?  I run the install from Finder using my current
system (6.0.7).
Anybody seen this? Any help greatly appreciated. I've had the disks since
Monday, but with the bad disks and now this, here it is Thursday at 2am and
I still don't have System 7.0.  Should I just give up?

  I'm allergic to .sigs, so you wont find one here!
Robert Cook (rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu)

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/16/91)

In article <1991May16.064144.3708@ncsa.uiuc.edu>, rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>I sure hope one of you can help me.  I've tried to install system 7 and
>can't get it to boot.
>Problem: Installer says "install complete, you must reboot to use your
>new software".  So I do, and I get a happy Mac, then the white bar appears
>accross the top (no menu headings) and the drive select light comes on and
>the stopwatch never goes away.
>I've tried to reinstall with a very minimal system, but it still fails the
>same way.

Try installing using "Easy Install" rather than using a Minimal or Custom
Install.  I was having problems with my SE/30 after having done a Custom
Install of 7.0.  After trying all sorts of things, I tried re-installing
(after erasing the System Folder from my previous install) using Easy
Install.

Sure, you end up with a ton of printer drivers, and File Sharing (which you
don't really need if you're a stand-alone at home).  But you can
disable/delete those things later.

Give us some feedback on the results...

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.141100.3339@zardoz.eng.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu writes:
>In article <1991May16.064144.3708@ncsa.uiuc.edu>, rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:
>>[problems with minimal install deleted]
>
>Try installing using "Easy Install" rather than using a Minimal or Custom
>Install.
>[problems with SE/30 Custom install]

Just to post from the other angle, a Custom Install on my SE/30 of
System Software, All Printers, and File Sharing worked just fine, and I
have had no problems running 7.0.

Recall that you should have all virus checkers turned OFF, otherwise
problems 'may occur later' as per the documentation I have seen
(non-Apple).

Paul
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company     |                                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     |  Parachuting?  Why jump out of a  |

jon@stekt.oulu.fi (Jouni Miettunen) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May16.064144.3708@ncsa.uiuc.edu> rcook@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Robert Cook) writes:

   I sure hope one of you can help me.  I've tried to install system 7 and
   can't get it to boot.

One problem might be MacInTalk. To me Compatibility Checker or
Installation program didn't say anything about it nor did they move it
away like other old stuff and I couldn't boot either.

Other system file that was ignored was Desktop Manager. I believe it
is now build-in and can be trashed ?

--jouni

--

        Jouni Miettunen                         jon@stekt.oulu.fi