[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7, Filesharing, and the IIcx

jsnell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jason Snell) (05/23/91)

a small string of questions:

1. can one share files with machines running 7.0 if one is running
   6.0.x (connected thru an Appletalk network)?
   If so, how?

2. Why the hell does 7.0 show up as taking up 1800 K of my memory?
   I don't have THAT many fonts, do I? Am I doing something wrong here?
   (I've got 4 megs, but for those people who only have 2...)

3. Does 7.0 work with the IIcx or not? We've got one at work (along with
   the appletalk network mentioned in #1) and I'm the one who has to try
   and update us to 7.0 this summer.

background: the network's got 4 SE's running 6.0.x (2 megs memory each,
I think), a IIcx, IIfx, and IIsi. We're printing to a VT-600W and LWIINTX.

-jason snell

--
    Jason Snell / jsnell@ucsd.edu / University of California, San Diego
       "Of course, Shakespeare would have loved your ratings system--

alberti@cs.umn.edu (Albatross) (05/23/91)

In <19651@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> jsnell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Jason Snell) writes:
>a small string of questions:

>1. can one share files with machines running 7.0 if one is running
>   6.0.x (connected thru an Appletalk network)?
>   If so, how?

Treat each 7.0 machine like a server, access it via the chooser.  simple.

>2. Why the hell does 7.0 show up as taking up 1800 K of my memory?
>   I don't have THAT many fonts, do I? Am I doing something wrong here?
>   (I've got 4 megs, but for those people who only have 2...)

'Cause that's how big it is.

>3. Does 7.0 work with the IIcx or not? We've got one at work (along with
>   the appletalk network mentioned in #1) and I'm the one who has to try
>   and update us to 7.0 this summer.

I'm running 7.0 on a IIcx with 4 Meg memory right now.

>background: the network's got 4 SE's running 6.0.x (2 megs memory each,
>I think), a IIcx, IIfx, and IIsi. We're printing to a VT-600W and LWIINTX.

Add more memory to the SE's and make sure everything in question has a hard
disk.  About the printers, I don't know.
--
Bob Alberti  Micro and Wkstn Networks Ctr, U of MN   // aka: Albatross| Unitar-
Internet:    alberti@boombox.micro.UMN.EDU        \\//      Images BBS| ian/