[comp.sys.mac.system] MaxAppleZoom and System 7.0

iijimam@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Mutsumi Iijima) (05/21/91)

     I am using MaxAppleZoom 1.3 with System 7.0. I have one miner problem.
After I change the screen depth, the function of MaxAppleZoom will be gone. The
extended area will be grayed out and be unaccessible by mouse. So I cannot
point to HD icons nor Trash can. (They are grayed out.) I know MaxAppleZoom is
recommended to be loaded first out of all INITs. However, System 7.0 loads
INIT in Extension Folder first, then loads INIT/cdev in Control panel folder.
I have some INITs in Extensions folder, so they are loaded before MaxAppleZoom.
Is this a reason of my problem? If so, I can manage the load order with
Extension Manager, however, I haven't grabed it, yet. If somebody has EM, and
it is freely distributable, could you e-mail it to me?
     Or is MaxAppleZoom incompatible with System 7.0? Anybody having same
problem?

The INIT I have in my Extensions Folder:
	AppleShare
	DAL
	DeskWriter 2.1 (Chooser Document)
	Eyeballs
	Finder Help
	Network Extension
	Suitcase II 1.2.10
The INIT/cdev I have in my Control Panels Folder:
	MaxAppleZoom 1.3
	After Dark 2.0t
	Color
	DepthGauge 2.01b
	Easy Access
	General Controls
	Keyboard
	Labels
	Map
	Memory
	Monitors
	Mouse
	Sharing Setup
	Sound
	Startup Disk
	SuperClock!
	Users & Groups

Any suggestions are very appreciated. Please respond by e-mail.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Mutsumi Iijima		|    Anybody interested in Japan or/and      |
| Oregon State University	| Japanese system of Macintosh? Feel free to |
|  INTERNET: 			| send a E-mail to the addresses left. I     |
|     iijimam@prism.cs.orst.edu	| will wait hering from you. :>              |
|  CompuServe: 72210,554	| *******************************************|
|  America Online: Iijimam	| *******************************************|
\----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

ryan@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Ryan R. Ramsey) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.162928.15064@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> iijimam@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Mutsumi Iijima) writes:

>     I am using MaxAppleZoom 1.3 with System 7.0. I have one miner problem.
>After I change the screen depth, the function of MaxAppleZoom will be gone. The
>extended area will be grayed out and be unaccessible by mouse. So I cannot
>point to HD icons nor Trash can. (They are grayed out.) I know MaxAppleZoom is
>recommended to be loaded first out of all INITs. However, System 7.0 loads
>INIT in Extension Folder first, then loads INIT/cdev in Control panel folder.
>I have some INITs in Extensions folder, so they are loaded before MaxAppleZoom.
>Is this a reason of my problem? If so, I can manage the load order with
>Extension Manager, however, I haven't grabed it, yet. If somebody has EM, and
>it is freely distributable, could you e-mail it to me?
>     Or is MaxAppleZoom incompatible with System 7.0? Anybody having same
>problem?

I am using MAZ 1.3 with system 7.0 and have had no problems whatsoever. It
is the second init that loads (after programmer key) and the only problems
or rather work i have ever had to do with it is the initial sync.

BTW, does anyone have a problem with MAZ and Macsbug? When you go into Macsbug
via the programmer key, the zoomed area which MAZ produces becomes unusable and
greyed out. This was also a problem in the 6.x series also. Is a fix for
this planned in the near future?

 /                                                                  /|
+----------------+-------------------------------------------------+ |
| Ryan R. Ramsey | U.C.L.A. Computer Science Department.           | |
+----------------+----------------------------+--------------------+ |
| ryan@CS.UCLA.EDU                            | "Beauty is only a  | |
+---------------------------------------------+--------------------+

saarimak@jyu.fi (05/22/91)

(Mutsumi Iijima) writes:

>     I am using MaxAppleZoom 1.3 with System 7.0. I have one miner problem.
>After I change the screen depth, the function of MaxAppleZoom will be gone.
The
>extended area will be grayed out and be unaccessible by mouse. So I cannot
>point to HD icons nor Trash can. (They are grayed out.) ...

One reason for that could be that MaxAppleZoom and DepthGauge (appearing in
your cdev list) seem not to work together.  At least the same phenomenon
appeared to me when I added DepthGauge (version??) to my cdevs, already in the
system 6.0.5. After some trials I decided to throw DepthGauge away, but the
tests were not extensive enough for a jugdement. No problems now with
MaxAppleZoom.

Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.190229.28332@cs.ucla.edu>
ryan@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Ryan R. Ramsey) writes:

> BTW, does anyone have a problem with MAZ and Macsbug? When you go into Macsbug
> via the programmer key, the zoomed area which MAZ produces becomes unusable and
> greyed out. This was also a problem in the 6.x series also. Is a fix for
> this planned in the near future?

Macsbug never uses more than a 640 x 480 area; I've seen it on a two
page display and it comes up looking pretty silly in the middle of the
screen.

I'm having the same problem with MAZ where it works fine, but if you
change the screen depth with Monitors you lose the additional area and
drive icons and the Application menu disappear.  Simple answer: don't
change screen depth, but has anyone found a way around this?  I'm not
running DepthGauge and MAZ is loading first.

Eric Baumgartner                   *  ebaum@dartmouth.edu
Interactive Media Lab              *  - When in danger or in doubt,
Dartmouth Medical School           *      run in circles, scream and
shout.

In article <1991May22.175144.7269@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) writes:

>I'm having the same problem with MAZ where it works fine, but if you
>change the screen depth with Monitors you lose the additional area and
>drive icons and the Application menu disappear.  Simple answer: don't
>change screen depth, but has anyone found a way around this?  I'm not
>running DepthGauge and MAZ is loading first.

Try booting up, going into Monitors, changing screen depth, changing it back,
and immediatly rebooting again.

raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz (cantva) (05/23/91)

From article <1991May22.214556.2283@eng.umd.edu>, by russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto):
> In article <1991May22.175144.7269@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) writes:

>>I'm having the same problem with MAZ where it works fine, but if you

Just what is MaxAppleZoom and hown does it work?

Raymond.

--
Raymond Wilson.	email:	raymond@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
		snail:	c/- Computer Science Department,