[comp.sys.mac.system] My System 7.0 Installation Surprises

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (05/21/91)

	I just installed System 7.0 from 800K disks last night.  Whoopee!
	Here are some of my impressions from serveral hours of use/play:

	1. Ballon Help gets old real quick.  I wish there was a way to turn
	   it off (i.e. get rid of the icon in the menubar).  I want room
	   for a clock.

	2. My first surprise was when I open a DA suitcase, and dragged the
	   DA out.  It MOVED the DA instead of COPYING it!  It was then that
	   I remember to hold the Option key down to copy, but it was too
	   late because I already removed it as an application.  I haven't
	   try putting the DA back into the Suitcase, yet.  Does this work?

	3. Then I tried to install my bitmap fonts into the System File by
	   dragging the Font Suitcases into the System File.  It started to
	   MOVE the fonts, instead of COPYING them!!!!  "Oh, no!  Not
	   again!", I said to myself.

	   Apple, if you are listening, I want to copy them instead of
	   moving them.  Reason being that I want to keep the font suitcase
	   for use with 6.0.  I expected at least a dialog to give me the
	   option of copying or moving, or a warning in the release notes.

	   I tried to stop the operation by pressing the "Stop' button in
	   the Move/Copy dialog, but it only left me with a corrupted Font
	   Suitcase!  Is there any way to alias Fonts?

	4. OK, now that I've gotten through the steep and most painful part
	   of the System 7.0 learning curve.  I was glad to see that most of
	   my favorite INITs still worked (well, sort of):

		After Dark 2.0t - very slow (put the After Dark files in the
				   control panel.

		PopChar 1.2 - works (PopChar 1.3 seems to kill Type Reunion)

		Type Reunion - works

		OpenWide 2.2 - works

		SuperClock 3.9 - works (but looks terrible next to the
				   ballon help)

		Disinfectant Init 2.4 - works

	5. INITs that didn't work.

		OnCue 1.3 - didn't work.  Menus would post, but
				   applications would not launch.

		FileSaver - Compatibility Stack said that it was
				   incompatible, so I didn't even try it.

	6. Now that I have a reasonable System 7.0 setup, I can say I really
	   like:

		o Disk stats on Finder windows

		o Command-arrowkeys to traverse in Finder

		o Aliases

		o Pasteing the Map PICT from the Scrapbook into the Map
		   Control Panel was "way cool!"

		o "Hide" feature in Finder

		o "Find" feature in Finder

		o New selection of icon name for typing (much cleaner than 6.0)

		o Others features that I am sure to find in the future

	My installation of System 7.0 was a good experience, except for the
	   problem of MOVING DAs and Fonts from their Suitcases when I
	   expected a COPY, and a incredibly slow running After Dark.
	   Thanks to Mark Johnson for making System 7.0 FTP'able.

	=Mike
--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/22/91)

In article <YEE.91May21114552@pmin27.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
>	1. Ballon Help gets old real quick.  I wish there was a way to turn
>	   it off (i.e. get rid of the icon in the menubar).  I want room
>	   for a clock.

There's nothing that says you can't run a menuclock under 7.0. As
a matter of fact, menuclocks make things nicer for those of us who
eschew balloon help. My menuclock INIT draws itself over the balloon
help menu item, hiding it completely. I never use balloon help, and
I never have to see it!

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/23/91)

In article <53173@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>There's nothing that says you can't run a menuclock under 7.0. As
>a matter of fact, menuclocks make things nicer for those of us who
>eschew balloon help. My menuclock INIT draws itself over the balloon
>help menu item, hiding it completely. I never use balloon help, and
>I never have to see it!

I found it kind of neat that SuperClock 3.9 makes space for the Balloon
Help icon.  It's interesting to watch it dance back and forth, leaving
room for the Application and Help icons while in the Finder or an app,
moving over to the right while an application launches (the App and Help
icons disappear briefly), then dancing back to the left to make room for
them again.  Neato!
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

jwwalker@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Jim Walker) (05/23/91)

In article <YEE.91May21114552@pmin27.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
>	4. OK, now that I've gotten through the steep and most painful part
>	   of the System 7.0 learning curve.  I was glad to see that most of
>	   my favorite INITs still worked (well, sort of):
[stuff deleted]
>		OpenWide 2.2 - works
[more stuff deleted]

>	=Mike
>--
>==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
>==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142
>==  		"Live simply, so that others may simply live."

Thanks for the plug, but saying that Open-wide 2.2 works under System 7 is,
ah, an oversimplification.

First of all, in the Open-wide control panel, if you click "Find an
Application" or "Find Any File" in the exclusion dialog, you get a crash.

Second, under some circumstances, and depending upon the Open-wide
settings, some dialog items may be mis-positioned, e.g., overlapping or
invisible.

I am working on version 2.3, which I hope to release within a couple of
weeks.
--
  -- Jim Walker 76367.2271@compuserve.com  walker@math.scarolina.edu