[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7 installer killed my Mac right off

tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) (05/22/91)

I ran the system 7 installer without installing anything and quitted from it.
Now, but never before, when I eject a floppy disk my Mac switches off. This
seems to be a hardware problem so I posted more details to
comp.sys.mac.hardware. But it seems to have been initiated by a piece of
software. Coincidence? I dunno. Is there anything in the installer that
messes with the system? (Obviously yes, but I mean if I hit Quit).

Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.231346.25487@am.dsir.govt.nz> sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>I ran the system 7 installer without installing anything and quitted from it.
>Now, but never before, when I eject a floppy disk my Mac switches off. This
>seems to be a hardware problem so I posted more details to
>comp.sys.mac.hardware. But it seems to have been initiated by a piece of
>software. Coincidence? I dunno. Is there anything in the installer that
>messes with the system? (Obviously yes, but I mean if I hit Quit).

The Installer sends a quit AppleEvent to the Finder (and I assume all
other open applications), so when the installer quits, it effectively
reboots the machine.  Sounds like that's what you're seeing.

--
David Walton            Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.011449.11059@midway.uchicago.edu> dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) writes:

>In article <1991May21.231346.25487@am.dsir.govt.nz> sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz writes:
>>I ran the system 7 installer without installing anything and quitted from it.
>>Now, but never before, when I eject a floppy disk my Mac switches off. This
>>seems to be a hardware problem so I posted more details to
>>comp.sys.mac.hardware. But it seems to have been initiated by a piece of
>>software. Coincidence? I dunno. Is there anything in the installer that
>>messes with the system? (Obviously yes, but I mean if I hit Quit).

>The Installer sends a quit AppleEvent to the Finder (and I assume all
>other open applications), so when the installer quits, it effectively
>reboots the machine.  Sounds like that's what you're seeing.

That doesn't seem to be what he means--he never installed 7, so there
aren't any AppleEvents.

--
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|