[comp.sys.mac.system] Making nice sounds for System 7.0

folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) (05/22/91)

How does one make sounds that are double-clickable, drag-in and drag-outable
in System 7.0? Under System 6.0.x, I had ResEdit files with sounds in them.
The only way I have found to create a proper file is to use ResEdit to stick
the file into the System, then double-click on the System and drag it out.
The resulting file has an 'alis' resource in it, as well as the sound itself.
--

Wayne Folta          (folta@cs.umd.edu  128.8.128.8)

cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com (C J Silverio) (05/23/91)

In article <34728@mimsy.umd.edu>, Wayne Folta writes:
|How does one make sounds that are double-clickable, drag-in and drag-outable
|in System 7.0? Under System 6.0.x, I had ResEdit files with sounds in them.
|The only way I have found to create a proper file is to use ResEdit to stick
|the file into the System, then double-click on the System and drag it out.
|The resulting file has an 'alis' resource in it, as well as the sound itself.

	I fiddled a bit with this.  The sound files need to have a file
	type of "sfil" and to contain the "alis" resource.  Once you
	put the resource in you can double-click, drag into suitcases,
	etc.  The creator type doesn't seem to matter.  I just copied
	the "alis" resource from another sfil.

	BTW, The System 7 installer did an insanely great thing: it
	preserved the sounds I had installed into my 6.0.7 system file.
	I double-clicked on my brand-new system suitcase file, and
	there they were.  I was impressed.

---
cj@modernlvr.wpd.sgi.com      C J Silverio/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

ahj1@quads.uchicago.edu (andrew howard jaffe) (05/23/91)

I don't think you need to include the "alis" resource in sound
files. I had a soundmover file which I just changed to
"sfil"/"movr" and then popped it right into the system file--and
it worked!!

-Andrew Jaffe (ahj1@quads.uchicago.edu or ajaffe@oddjob.uchicago.edu)

mkellner@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Snooker) (05/23/91)

In article <34728@mimsy.umd.edu> folta@tove.cs.umd.edu (Wayne Folta) writes:
>How does one make sounds that are double-clickable, drag-in and drag-outable
>in System 7.0? Under System 6.0.x, I had ResEdit files with sounds in them.
>The only way I have found to create a proper file is to use ResEdit to stick
>the file into the System, then double-click on the System and drag it out.

I used ResEdit to change a file of sounds to have a type of 'zsys' and a
creator of 'MACS' (use "Get Info for xxx" in the File menu).  This made the
file into a System Suitcase which I could double-click to open and drag the
sounds out individually.

m.