[comp.sys.mac.system] The Finder 7.0 Trash "bug"

ben@ut-emx.uucp (Ben Sloan) (05/22/91)

The previously discussed bug involving an alias of the Trash placed on the
root directory appears reproducible.  I just got the Restart error bomb
with the message "Finder error type 41" four times in a row.  Here's how:

(1) Make an alias of the trash.  I named mine "my trash".
(2) Place it on the root directory of the hard disk with the system on it.
(3) Make a new folder. Move the new folder onto the trash alias icon.
    This should make the real trash icon (on the desktop) bulge.
(4) Choose "empty trash" from the Special menu.
(5) My computer temporarily locks up while this task is being contemplated.
    The cursor does not show the watch; no dialog appears.
(6) Click on the alias icon while the Mac is locked up.
(7) Click several times on icons adjacent to the alias icon.
(8) Wait about five seconds for the crash.

I use: Mac SE, 4meg RAM, 40 meg internal hd, no extensions startup.

I got interested in this problem after booting with the 6.0.7 System Tools
floppy and noticing the Desktop and Trash folders in the root directory.
These are invisible to the 7.0 Finder.  Hmmm.  Incidentally, I also found
that one can't boot the 7.0 Finder by option-command clicking it while
booted under 6.0.7.  "Can't startup an older system" or some such message
appears.

Ben Sloan
ben@emx.utexas.edu

In article <49356@ut-emx.uucp>, ben@ut-emx.uucp (Ben Sloan) writes:

> (1) Make an alias of the trash.  I named mine "my trash".
> (2) Place it on the root directory of the hard disk with the system on it.
> (3) Make a new folder. Move the new folder onto the trash alias icon.
>     This should make the real trash icon (on the desktop) bulge.
> (4) Choose "empty trash" from the Special menu.
> (5) My computer temporarily locks up while this task is being contemplated.
>     The cursor does not show the watch; no dialog appears.
> (6) Click on the alias icon while the Mac is locked up.
> (7) Click several times on icons adjacent to the alias icon.
> (8) Wait about five seconds for the crash.

I knew I'd mess this up: Step (4) is "drag alias icon to desktop", not
"empty trash".  Sorry 'bout that.

Ben Sloan
ben@emx.utexas.edu

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (05/23/91)

	 tried the previously discussed "trash icon trick" (what kind
of people rush to try to crash their own systems?). The first time, i
dragged an item to the trashalias and it craseh immediately when i dragged
onthe alias with "finder error41"
 The third time, when i tried to empty the trash, same error. The
fourth time, it took several tries...

But the third time was most fun...here's what i did:

Make a trash alias named 'my trash can' (a name i hadn't seen used
before, just in case the bug was name-related...and put it in the root
directory... then, drag an item onto it, and empty the trash...

first, some kind of finder error [i forget which one]
Then "out of memory--cannot keep 'macintosh HD window open'
then "macintosh HD cannot be used--it is damaged"
then "The appl 'zterm' unexpectedly quit"
I tried to reopen the HD window: "command can't be completed--out of
memory" & this reoccured when i tried several different
things...including 'about this macintosh'
and when i tried restart from the menu, it didn't work...

BUT__balloon help ran just fine!

Kids, do try this at home...it's great fun (now if only i could figure
out why the screen-snapshot no longer gives the camera sound!)

Have fun crashing your systems...someone try it with Extensions off...
--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_:
"An item in Thursday's [issue] about the Massachusetts budget crisis
made reference to new taxes that will help put Massachusetts 'back in
the African-American.' The item should have said 'back in the black.'"