[comp.sys.mac.system] What is 'Best' Init Manager

boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Rich Akerboom) (05/16/91)

I have been using the INIT cDev v3.0 to manage my inits, but now I must
give it up because it is imcompatible with DataClub. Also it has problems with
the CTB. So, partisans of various init managers, what is the best replacement?

I have heard about Init Manager, Init Picker and NOW utilities' init manager
(name?). I am interested in both commercial and PD/shareware products. What's
your vote?

I am looking for turn on/off at startup, reordering w/o changing the names,
sets of inits, and compatibility with other applications and software like
4D, Dataclub, uAccess and the CTB.

The ability to prevent or help diagnose init conflicts would be a major plus.

ALSO
I use a quickdraw laser printer and when I try to print from a DA under multi-
finder, I always run out of memory and have to print later from the printer
software (GCC Print Manager). I understand there is a utility that allows
one to get DA Handler to load DA's with more memory so there would be enough
room to image the page too. Can someone help me with this? I have also heard
that this problem can be cured with Resedit. Any Suggestions?

Please e-mail responses to me as I am having a hard time keeping up with
this newsgroup. I will post a summary of responses. Thanks !!!

Rich Akerboom
boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
--
Rich Akerboom        Internet, etc.:   boomer@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Sylvan Software      UUCP:             decvax!dartvax!eleazar!boomer

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Maximum Slackness ) (05/17/91)

aask from CE Software does a nice job and they won't screw you at
upgrade time, not to mention any company specifically.
--

	No matter what you do, somebody always knew that you would...

ty@dnalounge.Eng.Sun.COM (Acquisition By Association) (05/18/91)

NOW utilities has a program called "Startup Manager" that seems to work just fine
under System 7. I am running it on a IIfx with about 8 inits, so far so good!

Give it a try!

----------The impossible we do right away, miracles take a little longer------------

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May16.235859.8748@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Maximum Slackness ) writes:

> aask from CE Software does a nice job and they won't screw you at
> upgrade time, not to mention any company specifically.

So why doesn't CE's Quickeys2 work with System 7?  They came out with
it only a little while ago, but it wasn't and isn't fully system 7
ready.
Mark J. Rosen     |   Internet:  marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu

sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Maximum Slackness ) (05/18/91)

marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) writes:

>So why doesn't CE's Quickeys2 work with System 7?  They came out with
>it only a little while ago, but it wasn't and isn't fully system 7
>ready.
Call them and they'll send you a FREE upgrade.

--

	No matter what you do, somebody always knew that you would...

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (05/23/91)

| marosen@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Rosen) writes:

|>So why doesn't CE's Quickeys2 work with System 7?  They came out with
|>it only a little while ago, but it wasn't and isn't fully system 7
|>ready.
| Call them and they'll send you a FREE upgrade.

I called CE Software asking for an update to QuicKeys 2 and they told
me that they have an update available only on AppleLink in Beta version.
I asked for it anyway and said that I have no access to AppleLink but
they wouldn't send it to me.

Arie Covrigaru                     |    University of Michigan AI Lab
Phone: (313)763-1255               |    Room 149, Advanced Technology Bldg.
Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109