[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7

lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) (02/28/91)

Where can I get a copy of System 7, even if just a beta copy?  I see a lot of
people on here asking usage questions as if they already had a copy.

Ken Linger
lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (02/28/91)

In article <6994@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, lingerke@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Ken Linger) writes:

> Where can I get a copy of System 7, even if just a beta copy?  I see a lot of
> people on here asking usage questions as if they already had a copy.

Beta versions of System 7 have been sent to developers.  (Version 7.0b4
was just distributed.)

warden@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Warden) (03/26/91)

Where are all these people I read about in comp.sys.mac.system
getting 7.0??  Is there any chance that someone could send me
a copy - or is such a thing illegal?  I'd love to get my new
IIci running unter 7.0.

Rob Warden
warden@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) (04/06/91)

  I'm starting to get an idea about System 7.
  Awhile ago I asked on comp.sys.mac.misc for the lastest version of MacsBug,
not realized that Apple _sold_ it.
  Now we've all seen all these messages about people wanting a copy of it and
there have been no responses, unless the answers have been hidden.  So I'm
starting to think that all the developers who got 7.0b* also got a message
along with it saying something along the line : "Do _NOT_ realease this system
software to any unauthorized person.  We are planning to market Sys7."
  Whaddaya think?

dbert@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) (04/06/91)

In article <1340@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:

>  I'm starting to get an idea about System 7.
>  Awhile ago I asked on comp.sys.mac.misc for the lastest version of MacsBug,
>not realized that Apple _sold_ it.
>  Now we've all seen all these messages about people wanting a copy of it and
>there have been no responses, unless the answers have been hidden.  So I'm
>starting to think that all the developers who got 7.0b* also got a message
>along with it saying something along the line : "Do _NOT_ realease this system
>software to any unauthorized person.  We are planning to market Sys7."
>  Whaddaya think?

*heavy sigh*  Apple employees have assured us in this very newsgroup that the
policy for System 7.0 will be the same as for previous systems.  Free if you
bring in blank disks (7 800K or 4 HD) to an authorized dealer, $50 if you want
the manuals.  Besides, considering that Apple distributed betas to around
20,000 developers, and many of them read these groups, don't you think at
least one of them would have let us know if this was the case?  Anonymously, I
suppose, if he really feared Apple would punish him for the sin of releasing
even this information about 7.0....so, to reiterate System 7.0 will be free.
Free.  Free.  Free.  At least in the U.S.  Those in other countries may have
to pay, but they can always wait a bit for it to be posted to apple.com and
FTP it from there for free! :)

Doug Siebert                                     dbert@gnu.ai.mit.edu
MBA Student (2nd year)
The University of Iowa

cs483106@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs483106) (04/07/91)

In article <1340@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:

>along with it saying something along the line : "Do _NOT_ realease this system
>software to any unauthorized person.  We are planning to market Sys7."
>  Whaddaya think?

>|      J. Taggart Gorman Jr.     | "I'm a no rust build up man myself."
>|                                |          -Christian Slater
>| jtgorman@caslon.cs.arizona.edu |             in 'Heathers'

(FLAME ON)
*I* think you haven't been reading the net for very long. We went through this
very recently. Apple doesn't want anyone except registered developers to have
system 7.0bx because it's BETA!!!! There was a message just the other day
(I think it was this newsgroup) in which some nitwit got hold of 7.0b4,
installed in on his system, and had a problem. He then proceded to blame apple.

It's not apples fault if BETA versions of system software don't work. That's
the point of BETA versions, they don't work, and they help apple find out
WHY they don't work. Apple doesn't want or need to bad press that giving out
beta software to anyone who asks would bring it.
(FLAME OFF)

Oh, and one request. Don't ask how much it's gonna cost. No one knows for
sure until it's released.

"Pope" Q.E.D
Michael Kohne
mikek@isis.ngs.noaa.gov

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (04/07/91)

In article <1340@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (J. Taggart Gorman) writes:
> So I'm
>starting to think that all the developers who got 7.0b* also got a message
>along with it saying something along the line : "Do _NOT_ realease this system
>software to any unauthorized person.  We are planning to market Sys7."

  As someone who's using (legally!) 7.0b4 on my machine, I can say
unequvocally that you've some very strange impressions about the typical
Apple Partner / Apple Computer relationship.  The message which came with
the software was much more like this (Unspoken implications in brackets):

"Due to its preliminary nature and potential instability, do NOT distribute
or demonstrate this software outside your organization. [ How would you like
to have your own beta software distributed to the world by mischievous beta
testers? ]"

>  Whaddaya think?

  I think you're just a little too hung up on what version of the OS you're
running.  Go play some racquetball or go see a movie with your S.O. or
something. :-)

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.114614.23866@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dbert@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Douglas Siebert) writes:
>Free.  Free.  Free.  At least in the U.S.  Those in other countries may have
>to pay, but they can always wait a bit for it to be posted to apple.com and
>FTP it from there for free! :)

Hee-hee....

That April 1st announcement was quite a nice *double* April Fools joke!

If it wasn't, it should have been!

--
   /   George David Nincehelser        \  george@swbatl.sbc.com     \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) (04/30/91)

I posted an idea two weeks ago about an idea for an INIT to help sys7 out,
well I have two other Ideas:

1) An INIT that will let you choose the icon for any floppie that you
format or for disks without icons already.

2) A utility that will change all of the folders on your hard drive to a
diffrent ICON unless it already has one.

I take no credit for these ideas if anyone chooses to program them.

+-------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu | "I'll get all the rest I need when   |
+-------------------------------+-----+    I die." - Road House        |
| "Oh God, I'm so depressed" - Marvin +--------------------------------+
| "Fully functional..." - DATA        |
+-------------------------------------+

bochen@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Meathead) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.085554.18064@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jtsweet@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Jonathan Thoma Sweet) writes:
>I posted an idea two weeks ago about an idea for an INIT to help sys7 out,
>well I have two other Ideas:

As I understand it, one of the best things about system 7.0 is that
it should eventually improve compatibility.  95% of my bugs with
6.07 can be traced to some damn INIT that I can't live without.  I'm
hoping that I can cut at least 70% of my INIT's when I get 7.0.  In
summary, I think that writing INIT's are not the greatest idea and
perhaps a program could be made that runs in conjunction with MF
rather than an INIT.

** Meathead **

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (05/01/91)

bochen@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Meathead) writes:

>As I understand it, one of the best things about system 7.0 is that
>it should eventually improve compatibility.  95% of my bugs with
>6.07 can be traced to some damn INIT that I can't live without.  I'm
>hoping that I can cut at least 70% of my INIT's when I get 7.0.  In
>summary, I think that writing INIT's are not the greatest idea and
>perhaps a program could be made that runs in conjunction with MF
>rather than an INIT.

Yes. Yes. Yes.
Lets stop Init (Ok, System Extension) Proliferation.  Now that every Mac
will be running 'Multifinder' (as it were), lets make small PROGRAMS
that do neat things, instead of Init hacks that patch stuff better left
unpatched.
I was able to eliminate about 14 Inits when I went to 7.0.
The only ones I run are:
After Dark
PopChar
Disinfectant
SoundMaster
SuperClock

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

2fmlcalls@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (05/01/91)

In article <18839@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bochen@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Meathead) writes:
> As I understand it, one of the best things about system 7.0 is that
> it should eventually improve compatibility.  95% of my bugs with
> 6.07 can be traced to some damn INIT that I can't live without.  I'm
> hoping that I can cut at least 70% of my INIT's when I get 7.0.  In
> summary, I think that writing INIT's are not the greatest idea and
> perhaps a program could be made that runs in conjunction with MF
> rather than an INIT.
>

> ** Meathead **

I agree totally.  INITs are a programmers worse nightmare (when someone tells
you that the program you wrote crashes when init X is loaded up, what are you
supposed to do - tell them "Don't use init X" :) ).
I would point out however that many of the INITs that you *cant live without*
probably could not exist as background-only applications.  I've steered away
from writing INITs (not easy I hear), but my understanding is that many of them
require tail patching ToolBox traps - something that must be done at start-up
if they're to affect all apps.  The neatest thing I've seen though was Darkness
- a faceless, background-only screen saver.  We could sure use more things like
that where possible.

john calhoun

arie@eecs.umich.edu (Arie Covrigaru) (05/24/91)

In System 6.0.7 I used to change the date and time display in the Finder's
windows in list view to be short form right justified.  Is there a way
to achieve that in System 7?

Arie Covrigaru                     |    University of Michigan AI Lab
Phone: (313)763-1255               |    Room 149, Advanced Technology Bldg.
Internet: arie@eecs.umich.edu      |    1101 Beal Ave., Ann Arbor, MI 48109