[comp.sys.mac.system] ftp.apple.com and Hypercard 2.1

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (05/18/91)

Will ftp.apple.com have version 2.1 of Hypercard?  The 800K disks don't seem
to.  And the compatability checker claims that 2.0 won't work under System 7.

So unless either the compatability checker is wrong or Hypercard 2.1 is
available, anyone who uses Hypercard (which includes me!) can't upgrade from
the ftp.apple.com disk images.

Does anyone have any actual information about this?

   Robert

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott Robert Anderson) (05/18/91)

In article <43412@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>Will ftp.apple.com have version 2.1 of Hypercard?  The 800K disks don't seem
>to.  And the compatability checker claims that 2.0 won't work under System 7.

The Personal Upgrade Kit includes three disks which don't come with the version
being distributed to user groups and university computer centers (and
presumably via FTP).   These are the disk "Macintosh Networking Basics", which
apparently is a tutorial of some sort, and the two stripped-down HyperCard 2.1
disks.

I contacted Apple Software Licensing, and I was told that at this time, there
are no plans to provide HyperCard 2.1 to user groups, et al.  They said this
was Claris' decision, so they are the ones to complain to.  I tried calling
them yesterday to see exactly how I'm supposed to get 2.1 if I didn't buy the
PUK and I don't want to pay for their "developer" version, but apparently they
take Friday afternoons off.  I'll try again on Monday.

[FLAME ON!]
So much for HyperCard being "System Software"!  There are so many things being
distributed via HyperCard that it is really ridiculous that it is not as freely
available as the System.  I don't even care if all the user groups get is the
stripped-down version; we should at least be able to read the stacks which come
with System 7!  If Claris is going to be so stingy with it, turning HyperCard
over to them was a really *big* mistake.
[FLAME OFF]

*                            Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
  *      **                  phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
   *   *    *    **          Atlanta Macintosh Users Group
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (05/21/91)

In article <7513@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott Robert Anderson) writes:
>In article <43412@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>>Will ftp.apple.com have version 2.1 of Hypercard?  The 800K disks don't seem
>>to.  And the compatability checker claims that 2.0 won't work under System 7.
>
>[FLAME ON!]
>So much for HyperCard being "System Software"!  There are so many things being
>distributed via HyperCard that it is really ridiculous that it is not as freely
>available as the System.  I don't even care if all the user groups get is the
>stripped-down version; we should at least be able to read the stacks which come
>with System 7!  If Claris is going to be so stingy with it, turning HyperCard
>over to them was a really *big* mistake.
>[FLAME OFF]

Yo!  Chill, buddy.  In case you didn't know things change.  Claris is charging
something like $50 for the upgrade kits and it's part of the PUKs for $99.
If neither of these suit your taste, maybe you better reconsider why
on earth, you're using a Macintosh instead of the cheapest 286 clone you
can get your hands on.  You decided you didn't want to pay for System 7.0.
Fine.  You got it from ftp/compuserve/AOL/etc.  Now you're whining that
you didn't get Hypercard for free.  Why not bitch and moan that you didn't
get MacWrite and MacPaint free as well?  After all, those used to be
System Software as well and lots of people distribute files in
MacWrite format...

Geeze.  You'd think people have better things to do than continually
whine at everything in life.  I hope you're at least getting paid
for whining...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/21/91)

In article <167@eclectic.COM>, kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
>Yo!  Chill, buddy.  In case you didn't know things change.  Claris is charging
>something like $50 for the upgrade kits and it's part of the PUKs for $99.

Uhm, Ken?

The HC 2.1 that comes with the PUKs is the -minimal- HyperCard.  You know,
HyperCard program, dain-bramaged Home Stack ("Magic"!), plus addresses and
appointments stacks, and pamphlet-style docs.  Last I checked, the $50 Claris
upgrade kit (CUK?  Nononono) was a more-or-less complete distribution, with
beginner's docs.

Just being picky.  :-)

What I'm hoping is that someone can talk Claris into at least allowing "free"
distribution of the minimized version.  I mean, HC 2.1 (and 2.0v2) is nifty,
but what's the use if most everyone is still using 1.2.5?  Claris can make the
commercial money off of support stacks and extensive docs (hey, -I- bought the
2.0v2 Dev Kit), but let all the other Mac-folk at least have access to stacks
made with these new versions.  Raising the lowest common denomiator, and all
that...

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) (05/22/91)

Look, folks, all this arguing about the virtues of Apple/Claris's distribution
policies is all well and good, but it doesn't answer my question:

Does Hypercard 2.0 (or 2.0v2) work under 7.0 or not?  Are there specific
problems that can be worked around, does it just crash randomly or immediately,
or does it actually work just fine?

Basically, I would like to upgrade to 7.0, but I don't have Hypercard 2.1, and
I need to use Hypercard.  I need to know if this a problem or not.

    Robert

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (05/22/91)

In article <43595@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>Look, folks, all this arguing about the virtues of Apple/Claris's distribution
>policies is all well and good, but it doesn't answer my question:
>
>Does Hypercard 2.0 (or 2.0v2) work under 7.0 or not?  Are there specific
>problems that can be worked around, does it just crash randomly or immediately,
>or does it actually work just fine?

I have been making fairly light use of HC 2.0v2 under System 7 for about a
week now, and it seems to work fine.  I haven't really put it through it's
paces yet, though, although I have used it with virtual memory.  Proceed with
caution.

--
---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott Robert Anderson) (05/24/91)

In article <167@eclectic.COM> kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
>In article <7513@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott Robert Anderson) writes:
>>In article <43412@netnews.upenn.edu> rubinoff@linc.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Rubinoff) writes:
>>>Will ftp.apple.com have version 2.1 of Hypercard?...
>>>And the compatability checker claims that 2.0 won't work under System 7.
>>
>>So much for HyperCard being "System Software"!  There are so many things
>>being distributed via HyperCard that it is really ridiculous that it is not
>>as freely available as the System.  I don't even care if all the user groups
>>get is the stripped-down version; we should at least be able to read the
>>stacks which come with System 7!
>
>Yo!  Chill, buddy.  In case you didn't know things change.  Claris is charging
>something like $50 for the upgrade kits and it's part of the PUKs for $99.

That's a step in the right direction.  At least it's available through some
channel, so that I don't have to sit here and wonder if I have to pay for the
developer's version.  Apple/Claris' silence was deafening.

>You decided you didn't want to pay for System 7.0.  Fine.  You got it from
>ftp/compuserve/AOL/etc.  Now you're whining that you didn't get Hypercard for
>free.

You miss the point.  Apple distributes HyperCard with the PUK and with all Macs
they ship.  They think it is important that it be available to all users.  It
is a lingua franca of the Macintosh.  So why, when they distribute the System
through the various channels they use, do some of these channels get HyperCard,
and others do not?   I'm not asking for the developer's version of HyperCard,
I'm asking for a version that will read the stacks that Apple themselves
distribute!

>Why not bitch and moan that you didn't get MacWrite and MacPaint free as well?
>After all, those used to be System Software as well and lots of people
>distribute files in MacWrite format...

I did bitch about MacWrite.  As you yourself point out, it is still the most
common medium for providing information on the Macintosh.  Apple should have
kept distributing plain ol' MacWrite with every Macintosh, and let Claris
develop the "full-featured" MacWrite II for commercial sale.  TeachText is an
extremely poor substitute.

MacPaint I could care less about, since its images can be distributed in many
different (but standard!) ways (MacWrite and Scrapbook files, for example).

>If neither of these suit your taste, maybe you better reconsider why on earth,
>you're using a Macintosh instead of the cheapest 286 clone you can get your
>hands on.

I know exactly why I'm using the Macintosh:  because it has a better System on
it, including HyperCard, both of which have been freely distributed to Mac
owners since their creation.  And that is why I paid substantially more money
for it than I would for a pc clone.

>Geeze.  You'd think people have better things to do than continually whine at
>everything in life.  I hope you're at least getting paid for whining...

I hope you are, too.

*