[comp.sys.mac.system] Another Finder 7 cosmetic bug?

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/22/91)

  I've run into the following screen update problem while in Finder.

  1.  Turn balloon help ON.
  2.  Drag a window down until most of the window is below the bottom of
      screen.
  3.  Pull the window back up again.

  I get a new grey dimmed line (like the outline used when resizing
windows) appearing in the midst of the window contents [seems to be
fairly random as to where it appears - at least I haven't worked out
a pattern yet].
  This doesn't happen when balloon help is turned off.

  This is on a Mac IIci, System 7, 8-bit internal video.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Where can a nation lie when it hides its organic minds in a cellar dark and
grim?  They must be ...  very dim.

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) (05/23/91)

I can backup that bug report.  I was just testing this and found I could
repeat it consistently.  It is not necessary to drag the window offscreen
in order to see the bug.  The following steps work for me.

Step 1	Turn on Balloon Help
Step 2	Click mouse on center title bar (title bar balloon will appear)
Step 3	Drag the window up an inch or so.

You should now see a grey line about an inch from the bottom of the window.
It's my guess that it's a classic example of how dangerous it is to mess with
the Window Manager's port outside of a WDEF.

But this bug is no doubt in the innoculous (sp?) category.

Waiting for 7.1,
Dan Boerner
Grad Slave

P.S. Hey Finder Team, while your at it could you throw in a icon grid editor
into the View control panel?  Thanks.

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (05/23/91)

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) writes:

>I can backup that bug report.  I was just testing this and found I could
>repeat it consistently.  It is not necessary to drag the window offscreen
>in order to see the bug.  The following steps work for me.

>Step 1	Turn on Balloon Help
>Step 2	Click mouse on center title bar (title bar balloon will appear)
>Step 3	Drag the window up an inch or so.

  I think I've now tracked this down to a conflict between my extant version
of QuicKeys (i.e. 2.0.1 - not guaranteed to work with System 7, so this
isn't Apple's fault) and the Finder.
  With Balloon Help turned on, pick up a Finder window, and drag it up so that
the gray region outline of the window is sitting over the top of the
contents region of the window, then let go of the mouse.  You'll get a big
gray line representing the exterior of the window at its last position
drawn through your icons.
  This only occurs when QuicKeys is loaded at startup time, and balloon
help is turned on.
  Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for QuicKeys 2.1 to fix it [hope
they've found this bug...]

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Fame, fame, fame...  What's it good for?  Ab-so-lute-ly nothing

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.204246.23830@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) writes:
>I can backup that bug report.  I was just testing this and found I could
>repeat it consistently.  It is not necessary to drag the window offscreen
>in order to see the bug.  The following steps work for me.
>
>Step 1	Turn on Balloon Help
>Step 2	Click mouse on center title bar (title bar balloon will appear)
>Step 3	Drag the window up an inch or so.
>
>You should now see a grey line about an inch from the bottom of the window.
>It's my guess that it's a classic example of how dangerous it is to mess with
>the Window Manager's port outside of a WDEF.
>
>But this bug is no doubt in the innoculous (sp?) category.

Why is this a bug? You are simply dragging the window. The line you are
seeing is the window outline. Just cause balloon help is on doesn't mean
your Mac stops working. It does everything just as it would if balloon
help was off. It just also displays the balloons.

Must've been a VERY late night...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7