[comp.sys.mac.system] How to use Blesser with Sys 7.

mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (05/23/91)

Earlier I asked the net for a practical way to switch between
system 6.0.x and system 7.0.  Previous to S7.0 this was easily
done using the "Blesser" application.  It had ceased to function
under S7.0.

ewright@bach.convex.com (Edward V. Wright) and Scott E. Lasley
<lasleyse@wam.umd.edu> were quick to provide a fix.  Thanks guys.
(This would appear to be a timely question as the answer has just
 appeared in INFO-MAC digest #114.)

In brief, the creator for the system file has changed from 'ZSYS' in
system 6.0.x to 'zsys'  (a case change) in system 7.0.  Blesser is
looking for 'ZSYS' and thus does not find the new system file.

You could change the creator of the new system file but that seems
dangerous to me.

The best suggestion was to make a special copy of Blesser specifically
for blessing S7.0.  Keep the original Blesser for blessing S6.0.x  Use
resedit to change the single occurrance of the string 'zsys' to 'ZSYS'
and you are in business.  The info-mac article further suggests that
you put the the appropriate copy of Blesser in the appropriate system
folder so that Blesser finds the correct system file right away.

It works for me.  Thanks again all.

Matt Howard

tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) (05/23/91)

|> Earlier I asked the net for a practical way to switch between
|> system 6.0.x and system 7.0.  Previous to S7.0 this was easily
|> done using the "Blesser" application.  It had ceased to function
|> under S7.0.

Blessing is easily (and probably more safely) done by hand. Inside each
system folder I create a folder called Hide System. To unbless the folder
just move the System file into that new folder. To bless the folder just
move it out again. That's all. Takes about as long as using blesser
but works on any Mac that doesn't have a copy of blesser. And it saves
having to mess with patching applications etc.

Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz

francis@math.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.110513.26521@am.dsir.govt.nz> tony@tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz (Tony Cooper) writes:

>|> Earlier I asked the net for a practical way to switch between
>|> system 6.0.x and system 7.0.  Previous to S7.0 this was easily
>|> done using the "Blesser" application.  It had ceased to function
>|> under S7.0.

>Blessing is easily (and probably more safely) done by hand. Inside each
>system folder I create a folder called Hide System. To unbless the folder
>just move the System file into that new folder. To bless the folder just

But it doesn't let you switch actual Systems.  In this case, it would
be worse than useless to keep around 6.0.* and 7.0 System Folders and
move a version 6 or 7 System file from one to the other.  And it
wouldn't let you switch between (for example) English and French
Systems, since some of the text is in the System file.

--
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|