[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0's missing component...

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (05/15/91)

Well, well, you all have 7.0 now. Good, good. I hope I'll get to see it over
here soon. (Last time I approached a dealer it was about getting hold of
6.0.2, and they were all excited about Apple's wonderful new System 5.0.)

So: what happened to MIDI Manager? You know, that important new system
component which would bring the Macintosh to the forefront of MIDI music
applications with the arrival of System 7.0? There was a lot of noise about
this a couple of years ago when MM went beta, but what with the court case
and so on, it's vanished quietly, even though some of us have been using MM
for a year or two.

So, looks like Apple have backed down on this one. Mac users still can't
get hold of the MIDI Management tools unless they have friends in the
developer business. And I *still* don't know whether it works reliably with
System 7.0's virtual memory. And I *still* don't know how to make my MIDI
Manager application VM-proof by locking down the interrupt-level machinery.
And I *still* don't know whether it's being supported actively or not.

Would somebody over there in the US like to volunteer to use their wonderful
free 800 number support line (which I suspect we all get to pay for,
regardless, grumble) and find out what the hell Apple are doing
about the MIDI Management tools?

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu (05/16/91)

In article <10836@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk>, nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) writes:

>So: what happened to MIDI Manager? You know, that important new system
>component which would bring the Macintosh to the forefront of MIDI music
>applications with the arrival of System 7.0?

Now, I don't have inside information or anything, but I'd be willing to bet
that you'll see the Midi Manager when QuickTime (the whiz-bang mulitmedia
beast for System 7.0) hits release...

---
Jim Gaynor - AgVAX System Manager - Academic Computing - Ohio State University
VMS:<gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu>  UNIX:<gaynor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Disclaimer : All opinions expressed here are mine and only mine.  So there!
Witty Quote: "Think, think, think, think..." - Winnie-the-Pooh, Taoist Bear.

chad@oscar.cs.byu.edu (Chad) (05/16/91)

--

The APDA catalog has a "new" Midi Manager 2.0 listed in it.  I am not a
developer

Chad Leigh
Brigham Young University / on leave from DEC
chad@yvax.byu.edu /  chad@norge.enet.dec.com

niski@reed.edu (05/17/91)

Well, when i recently upgraded to version 4.5 of Passport Design's Pro 4
sequencer, it included the MIDI Manager INIT and the Patch Bay DA.  Unfortunately
for me (with a 2MB Mac Plus which is generally great for sequencing & patch
editing), my Mac is too slow to make reasonable use of MIDI Manager.  Doubly
unfortunate is the fact that i can't run the new version of Pro 4 under Multi-
Finder at the same time as my Opcode CZ patch editor, 'cuz the latter is too
old to support MIDI Manager, and the sequencer won't work if other MIDI apps
are running and MIDI Manager isn't.

Best of all (sic), the typically un-helpful snots at Opcode told me that
my patch editor won't be updated, but they'll let me "upgrade" my software
lisence for a copy of Galaxy (no price or date set, of course, gee thanks
again, OpCode).

jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) (05/17/91)

niski@reed.edu writes:

>Well, when i recently upgraded to version 4.5 of Passport Design's Pro 4
>sequencer, it included the MIDI Manager INIT and the Patch Bay DA.  Unfortunately

The  System 6 Compatibity Checker stack says that Midi Managager 2.0 is mostly
compatible with 7.0, and that 2.0.1 is fully compatible.  The stack refers you
to APDA for 2.0.1 (800-282-2732).

Jason

bierman@davidsys.com (05/20/91)

In article <jblue.674498353@mwunix.mitre.org>, jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) writes:
> jblue@mwunix.mitre.org (Jason D. Blue) writes:
>
>>The  System 6 Compatibity Checker stack says that Midi Managager 2.0 is mostly
>             ^^^ Make this System 7.
>>Jason

MM 2.0 is only needed if you have an application that uses it--so it
makes sense that it would be bundled with new releases of MIDI apps.

But can you buy the developer's edition if you are not an *official*
apple developer? There are some of us that know how to program, but
aren't interested in participating in APDA...

--andy;
bierman@davidsys.com

scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) (05/21/91)

> But can you buy the developer's edition if you are not an *official*
> apple developer? There are some of us that know how to program, but
> aren't interested in participating in APDA...

Don't know if this will help or not...

Some people on this group may not be aware of the number of levels of
participation in Apple developer programs. Simply being a member of APDA
only costs $20 a year; I believe there are some options under which you
don't even have to pay that much and still be able to order. Don't think
you get a catalog subscription, though.

MIDI Management Tools 2.0, which includes MM, libraries, and interface,
costs $35 for a 60 page manual and diskette. You might consider the price
$55 if you include the $20 APDA fee and never order anything else.

The other programs cost considerably more and require an application
and there's an approval process to join the club. Simply being an APDA
member requires paying $20 and saying that you know how to program. I
think the latter is so they can have something to point to when the
naive non-programmer calls and asks for support.

Scott

--
Scott Herzinger   scotth@crl.labs.tek.com
                  Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.

bierman@davidsys.com (05/21/91)

In article <SCOTTH.91May20175546@rocco.labs.tek.com>, scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) writes:
>> But can you buy the developer's edition if you are not an *official*
>> apple developer? There are some of us that know how to program, but
>> aren't interested in participating in APDA...
>
> Don't know if this will help or not...
>
> Some people on this group may not be aware of the number of levels of
> participation in Apple developer programs. Simply being a member of APDA
> only costs $20 a year; I believe there are some options under which you
> don't even have to pay that much and still be able to order. Don't think
> you get a catalog subscription, though.
>
> MIDI Management Tools 2.0, which includes MM, libraries, and interface,
> costs $35 for a 60 page manual and diskette. You might consider the price
> $55 if you include the $20 APDA fee and never order anything else.
>
> Scott
thanks for the info...$35 - $55 is very reasonable--I thought it was
$500 - $750 to join APDA (I guess that is the highest 'level').

--andy;
bierman@davidsys.com

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (05/22/91)

In article <SCOTTH.91May20175546@rocco.labs.tek.com> scotth@rocco.labs.tek.com (Scott Herzinger) writes:
>Some people on this group may not be aware of the number of levels of
>participation in Apple developer programs. Simply being a member of APDA
>only costs $20 a year; I believe there are some options under which you
>don't even have to pay that much and still be able to order. Don't think
>you get a catalog subscription, though.

  There are.  As long as you don't try to order beta test or unsupported
software you don't have to pay the membership fee.

>MIDI Management Tools 2.0, which includes MM, libraries, and interface,
>costs $35 for a 60 page manual and diskette. You might consider the price
>$55 if you include the $20 APDA fee and never order anything else.

  It's $35, because you don't need to pay the $20 fee if you don't plan to
order beta test or unsupported software.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/24/91)

In article <15272@davidsys.com> bierman@davidsys.com writes:
>thanks for the info...$35 - $55 is very reasonable--I thought it was
>$500 - $750 to join APDA (I guess that is the highest 'level').

Since there still seems to be some confusion over this, perhaps I
can help clear things up (or perhaps obfuscate them further  :-):

- For the cost of $0, you can order Class 1 products from APDA.
  Class 1 products consist of final versions of key technical
  references as well as development tools that have been carefully
  documented and tested.

- For the cost of $20/yr, you can additionally order Class 1B, 2, and 3
  products from APDA. These products include beta versions of Class 1
  products, untested and/or undocumented pieces of software, and
  out-of-date or obsolete utilties.

- For the cost of $350/yr, you can become an Apple Associate. This
  is NOT a program through APDA, though it does give APDA membership.
  Being an Apple Associate means hardware discounts, World-Wide
  Developer Conference invitation, support through the Developer
  Hotline, access to AppleLink and all of the technical information
  and utilities on it, and monthly Developer mailings that include
  the latest technotes, sample code, "develop", AppleDirect, and
  product information sheets.

- For the cost of $600/yr, you can become an Apple Parter. Being
  an Apple Partner means getting everything listed above, and adds
  being able to send questions to DTS.

The first two programs are APDA programs. You can contact APDA at:

APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Ave., M/S 33-G
Cupertino,  CA 95014-6299  USA

Phone numbers:
1-800-282-2732	(U.S.)
1-800-637-0029	(Canada)
1-408-562-3910	(International)
1-408-562-3971	(FAX)
171-576		(TELEX)

e-mail:
AppleLink:	APDA
GEnie:		A.DEVELOPER3
CompuServe:	76666,2405
Internet:	APDA@applelink.apple.com
MacNet:		APDA
MCI:		POSTROM

The second two programs are offered through the Apple Developer
Group within Apple. You can contact them by calling the Developer
Hotline at (408) 974-4897.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (05/24/91)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>- For the cost of $600/yr, you can become an Apple Parter. Being
>  an Apple Partner means getting everything listed above, and adds
>  being able to send questions to DTS.

I should point out that membership in the Partner program depends upon
screening; it isn't automatic.

>The second two programs are offered through the Apple Developer
>Group within Apple. You can contact them by calling the Developer
>Hotline at (408) 974-4897.

or by sending email to DEV.HOTLINE on AppleLink, or
dev.hotline@applelink.apple.com on Usenet.

--Brian Bechtel                                    blob@apple.com
  Hardware & Development Tools Manager
  Developer Technical Support