[comp.sys.mac.system] Why does System 7 keep rebuilding my desktops?

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (05/23/91)

While evaluating and exprimenting with System 7, I'm currently running my
IIcx with two hard disks (both Apple, one internal, one external), one with
System 7.0, one with System 6.0.5. For the past couple of days, I've been
switching from one system to the other fairly frequently; both disks remain
mounted and are accessed with either system. I've noticed some strange
behavior:

About one time in three or so, booting with System 7 causes the desktops on
both disks to be rebuilt and "updated for new system software," just as
they were on installing the new system. I'm not able to predict when this
will happen.

Can anyone answer:

(1) Why is this happening? I assume that some normal actions taken under
System 6.0.5 leave the disks in a state that System 7 thinks is abnormal.

(2) Is this an indication of some Serious Problem that I should be worried
about? (I've seen no other abnormalities in running under wither system.)

(3) The wait while the desktops are rebuilt is a little annoying. What
would be the result if I cancelled the rebuilds when they start? (System 7
gives you a nice button to do just that.)

						- John Gersh

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu 	        {backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20723		       (301) 953-5503

txhou@mcs.drexel.edu (Xinjun Hou) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.171223.13065@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) writes:
>While evaluating and exprimenting with System 7, I'm currently running my
>IIcx with two hard disks (both Apple, one internal, one external), one with
>System 7.0, one with System 6.0.5. For the past couple of days, I've been
>switching from one system to the other fairly frequently; both disks remain
>mounted and are accessed with either system. I've noticed some strange
>behavior:
>
>About one time in three or so, booting with System 7 causes the desktops on
>both disks to be rebuilt and "updated for new system software," just as
>they were on installing the new system. I'm not able to predict when this
>will happen.
>
>Can anyone answer:
>
>(1) Why is this happening? I assume that some normal actions taken under
>System 6.0.5 leave the disks in a state that System 7 thinks is abnormal.
>
>(2) Is this an indication of some Serious Problem that I should be worried
>about? (I've seen no other abnormalities in running under wither system.)
>
>(3) The wait while the desktops are rebuilt is a little annoying. What
>would be the result if I cancelled the rebuilds when they start? (System 7
>gives you a nice button to do just that.)

I had the same problem when I used the pre-released sys7.0b4.(I can't remember
exactly if it was b4, it was the final beta test version). It updated the
disk every time I switched from 6.0.7 to 7.0b4.

After I deleted the 7.0b4 from my harddisk and running only 6.0.7, my
harddisk could not be recognized by Norton Utilities, (NU said "this
disk has been used with sys7, Norton Disk Doctor does not support
sys7 yet...") and Cricket Graph 1.3 did not work anymore after that,
so I have to reinitialize the harddisk.

I hope this won't happen with released system 7.

Xj

txhou@king.mcs.drexel.edu

gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.171223.13065@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> I asked
about the continual desktop-rebuilding that took place when booting
under System 7 after running under System 6.0.5, with the same two hard disks
mounted.

I've thought some more about it and several people have replied. The
consensus is that this is the natural consequence of the difference in the
two systems' handling of desktop information:

When running under System 6.0.x, desktop updates modify only the Desktop
resource file, of course; that's all the earlier systems know about.

System 7.O keeps desktop information in the Desktop DF and Desktop DB data
files (a la Desktop Manager). If the disks' desktops have been modified by an
earlier system, System 7.0 notices that its desktop files are not up to date
when it boots and rebuilds them, telling the user that it's doing so. This is
therefore definitely a feature, not a bug, not a problem, and is the
inevitable result of switching betweeen the system versions with the same
disks mounted.

Well, perhaps not inevitable; a few people suggested using the Desktop
Manager init when running under 6.0.5 to keep things in sync.

Thanks to all.

						- John Gersh
gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu 	        {backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!gersh
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Rd., Laurel, MD 20723		       (301) 953-5503

sardella@strfleet.gsfc.nasa.gov (Tom Sardella) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.211229.21367@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> gersh@aplpy.jhuapl.edu (John R. Gersh) writes:
(stuff deleted)
>System 7.O keeps desktop information in the Desktop DF and Desktop DB data
>files (a la Desktop Manager). If the disks' desktops have been modified by an
>earlier system, System 7.0 notices that its desktop files are not up to date
>when it boots and rebuilds them, telling the user that it's doing so. This is
>therefore definitely a feature, not a bug, not a problem, and is the
>inevitable result of switching betweeen the system versions with the same
>disks mounted.
>
>Well, perhaps not inevitable; a few people suggested using the Desktop
>Manager init when running under 6.0.5 to keep things in sync.

I'm working in a similar situation where I have 6.0.7 on one disk and 7.0
on another.  I use "Startup Disk" to switch between them and do it on a
regular basis.  The problem I have is that I have a large monitor with lots
of applications on the desktop.  I can live with the time it takes to rebuild
the desktop everytime I switch to 7.0.  But everytime I switch back to 6.0.7
I have to move everything in the desktop folder on both volumes back to the
desktop.  This is getting old.  Is there a way around it?

Also, what is the Desktop Manager init and where can I get it?

      Thanks,
      Tom Sardella
      sardella@strfleet.gsfc.nasa.gov