[comp.sys.mac.system] Sys 7 Finder copy & memory; also Shortcut upgrade

samuels@halibut.nosc.mil (Lawrence J. Samuels) (05/23/91)

In System 7, it seems to me that Finder copies are a
little slower than I'm used to, in 'Multifinder'.  Under 6.0.x,
I used to give the Finder more application memory in the Get Info box,
and I _thought_ this helped (placebo effect?) - the Finder could copy
a larger chunk of the source into memory, was my thinking.

1)  Was/is my figuring correct?
2.  You can't 'set' the Finder memory allocation anymore (at least
not in the Get Info box) - any suggestions?

On an entirely different note, I'd like to offer some info about
a System 7 upgrade.  Aladdin Systems sent us (free) an upgrade to Shortcut
labelled 'Shortcut 1.5'.  It claims System 7 compatibility, and it's run
fine so far under Sys 7;  it adds some functionality - Fast Find, a method
to write over deleted files with 0/1s, some enhancements.

Wonderful timing on the part of Aladdin - Sys 7 comes out on May 13 and
we got the Aladdin update on, I think, the 15th - impressive!  But ...
(isn't there always a 'but ...'?)

IMHO, it's slow - slower than the original in bringing up the 'Open/Save'
dialogs.  So slow, in fact, that on Sys 6, which I run for compatability
sake, I still use the 'old' Shortcut.

Anyway, there's an upgrade, for what it's worth...

Larry Samuels
samuels@nosc.mil

Disclaimer: do I need one?  I have no association with Aladdin,
other than to buy their stuff.

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/24/91)

In article <4009@nosc.NOSC.MIL> samuels@halibut.nosc.mil (Lawrence J. Samuels) writes:
>In System 7, it seems to me that Finder copies are a
>little slower than I'm used to, in 'Multifinder'.  Under 6.0.x,
>I used to give the Finder more application memory in the Get Info box,
>and I _thought_ this helped (placebo effect?) - the Finder could copy
>a larger chunk of the source into memory, was my thinking.
>
>1)  Was/is my figuring correct?

I don't think so. I was once told that all Finders before 7.0 copied
at most 200K at a time, even on 8Meg machines.

>2.  You can't 'set' the Finder memory allocation anymore (at least
>not in the Get Info box) - any suggestions?

There shouldn't be any reason for upping the partition size of 7.0's
Finder. It has enough room in that partition for all permanent and
other "standby" resources. For temporary memory needs (for instance,
when copying), it uses the temporary memory calls.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

pmbergla@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Per Bergland) (05/24/91)

In article <53278@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <4009@nosc.NOSC.MIL> samuels@halibut.nosc.mil (Lawrence J. Samuels) writes:
>>In System 7, it seems to me that Finder copies are a
>>little slower than I'm used to, in 'Multifinder'.  Under 6.0.x,
>>I used to give the Finder more application memory in the Get Info box,
>>and I _thought_ this helped (placebo effect?) - the Finder could copy
>>a larger chunk of the source into memory, was my thinking.
>>
>>1)  Was/is my figuring correct?
>
>I don't think so. I was once told that all Finders before 7.0 copied
>at most 200K at a time, even on 8Meg machines.
>
>>2.  You can't 'set' the Finder memory allocation anymore (at least
>>not in the Get Info box) - any suggestions?
>
>There shouldn't be any reason for upping the partition size of 7.0's
>Finder. It has enough room in that partition for all permanent and
>other "standby" resources. For temporary memory needs (for instance,
Yeah??
Hasn't anybody else tried to open a HUGE suitcase of fonts or DAs, only
to be given the message:
Finder ran out of memory bla bla bla

Fortunately there is a solution, you can either boot Sys 6.x, and set the finder
memory, or I guess you can set it in the 'size' resource from ResEdit (haven't
tried this).
Oh, BTW, has anybody tried this:
Create an application with a picture as balloon help from finder ('hfdr').
Make a nice BIG 24-bit PICT from your favourite 32-bit drawing program, and paste
it into the application, with the resource number corresponding to the 'hfdr'
one.

Turn on balloon help, position it over the app. icon, and presto, your Mac
freaks out...