[comp.sys.mac.system] Folder from Hell

mwang@.com (Michael Wang) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan26.173004.19708@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> deh7g@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (David E. Husk) writes:

>	I know this has been beaten to death but how does one get rid
>of a folder from hell.  DiskTop says there are -1 files in the folder
>and that it is inited.  If I try to delete it I get "file in folder
>is locked or busy".  If I change the folder to not inited then after trying
>to do the delete it becomes reinited.  I've tried bringing up a system
>off of a floppy and deleting  the folder but no go. Suggestions
>will be appreciated.  P.S. I'm using 6.07
>
>		Husk@virginia.edu

The easiest way I have found to delete "folders from hell" is to drag the
folder into the trash can (you may have to hold down Command-Option while
you do this) and then reboot the machine using the Restart command.

Michael Wang
mwang@oracle.com

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan28.143428.16081@oracle.com> mwang@oracle.com (Michael Wang) writes:
>In article <1991Jan26.173004.19708@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> deh7g@newton.acc.Virginia.EDU (David E. Husk) writes:
>>	I know this has been beaten to death but how does one get rid
>>of a folder from hell.  DiskTop says there are -1 files in the folder
>
>The easiest way I have found to delete "folders from hell" is to drag the
>folder into the trash can (you may have to hold down Command-Option while
>you do this) and then reboot the machine using the Restart command.

Sometimes you find that after doing what has been suggested, the folder is
magically back on the desktop. If this happens, just try doing it again.

I have seen this happen but the second time I try throwing it away, everything
has usually worked as expected.

Hope this helps too

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

jwagner@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Joseph Wagner) (05/22/91)

Well, thanks to System 7.0, I've got my first folder from hell.  Here is the
scenario:
	Mac IIci with 6.0.7 on internal hard drive
	Syquest drive with 7.0
	Folder is on internal hard drive (6.0.7 disk) and on Syquest cart.

I've tried changing all the busy/locked/etc. bits with DiskTop and even with
Norton Disk Editor.  I also tried replacing the folder with another one with
the same name off a floppy diskette.  Any clues?  Please email and I will
post a summary.

Sorry if this is an FAQ.  I didn't know if had anything to do with Sys7.

Joe

| Joseph Wagner			   |  Women, can't live with them,        |
| jwagner@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu     |  Pass the beer nuts - Norm Peterson  |

gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) (05/24/91)

In article <6163@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jwagner@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Joseph
Wagner) writes:
> Well, thanks to System 7.0, I've got my first folder from hell.  Here is
the
> scenario:
>         Mac IIci with 6.0.7 on internal hard drive
>         Syquest drive with 7.0
>         Folder is on internal hard drive (6.0.7 disk) and on Syquest
cart.

> I've tried changing all the busy/locked/etc. bits with DiskTop and even
with
> Norton Disk Editor.  I also tried replacing the folder with another one
with
> the same name off a floppy diskette.  Any clues?  Please email and I will
> post a summary.

Run Disk First Aid (comes on your System disks) and/or Norton Utilities on
your disks. If Norton can't repair the disk (or you don't have Norton) and
if Disk First Aid says "unable to verify status of disk", basically the
only recourse is to back up your stuff & reformat the naughty drive.

Side note on Norton Utilities: the version that is out now doesn't work
with disks that have been mounted when 7.0 has been running. I did hear
somewhere though that you can hold the command key down when clicking OK
in the dialog you get from Norton, and it will fire up and you can check
the disk at your own risk!!

Good luck!

Martin Gannholm
Apple Computer

Exclaimer!!!   I never said it...Nobody heard me say it...You can't prove
anything!
"Always run Disk First Aid after a crash" -mrg

gtephx (Mike Pflueger) (05/25/91)

In article <13631@goofy.Apple.COM>, gandalf@apple.com (Martin Gannholm) writes:
> In article <6163@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jwagner@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Joseph
> Wagner) writes:
> > Well, thanks to System 7.0, I've got my first folder from hell.  Here is
> the
   [stuff deleted]
> Run Disk First Aid (comes on your System disks) and/or Norton Utilities on
> your disks. If Norton can't repair the disk (or you don't have Norton) and
> if Disk First Aid says "unable to verify status of disk", basically the
> only recourse is to back up your stuff & reformat the naughty drive.
 [stuff deleted]
> Good luck!
>
> Martin Gannholm
> Apple Computer

Why didn't Apple fix this in 7.0???  IMHO, this is a finder bug.

Seems that they could check for a valence (items in folder) < 0,
and present an alert "This may be a folder from hell.  Or we may
have ANOTHER bug - something might really be in it.  Are you sure you
want to delete it?"

If you use a disk editor and change these valences to 0, the folder
deletes OK.  I won't go into how to do this because if you haven't
already figured out how to do it, it's too risky.

"Somehow" (um, could it be another finder/toolbox bug? >:^) ) the
number of items in that directory gets decremented past 0 (hmm, whose
code deletes files? is it FILE MANAGER?).

There is also a Folder From Hell fixer at sumex (UTIL/HELL-FOLDER-FIX.HQX),
but i have not tried the program and don't know if it works.

Mike

--
Mike Pflueger @ AG Communication Systems (formerly GTE Comm. Sys.), Phoenix, AZ
  UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!hrc | att}!gtephx!pfluegerm