[comp.sys.mac.system] Desktop Manager and System 7

dmoney@ducvax.auburn.edu (05/22/91)

Desktop Manager will not work with System 7.0. If you have Desktop Manager
installed in your System Folder, your mac will go through the startup pro-
cedure okay, but when you get to the desktop, your machine will hang--you
will only see your menu and your watch cursor.

Restart your machine, holding down the shift key to turn all extensions off.
Remove Desktop Manager from your System Folder and restart.

Dean Money
Academic Computing Services
Auburn University

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (05/23/91)

You shouldn't need Desktop Manager with 7.0, since that functionality
is now in the System.

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.142530.4232@ducvax.auburn.edu> dmoney@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:
>Desktop Manager will not work with System 7.0. If you have Desktop Manager
>installed in your System Folder, your mac will go through the startup pro-
>cedure okay, but when you get to the desktop, your machine will hang--you
>will only see your menu and your watch cursor.

Actually, the Desktop Manager is now an integral part of System 7.0, so you
no longer need the DTM INIT from AppleShare.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

dmoney@ducvax.auburn.edu (05/25/91)

In article <53220@apple.Apple.COM>, mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:
> Actually, the Desktop Manager is now an integral part of System 7.0, so you
> no longer need the DTM INIT from AppleShare.

But not only is the Desktop Manager not needed in System 7, it must be
removed from your System 7 Folder. Otherwise your machine will hang as I
described. I wanted to warn others about this, since I've seen a number
of people with this problem. The Compatibility Checker does not warn or
move the DTM init out of the way, so be warned!