[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7.0 screwyness/Neat Finder feature

ziff@eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (05/23/91)

First the strangeness.
OK I've got a real interesting problem for you people, and I think this might
be a common problem codsidering I've only been running System 7.0 for a week
and managed to do this.  The problem is that my hard drive's icon is locked
along with the name of the hard drive.  Now here's the basic situation.  I've
got a Mac IIci with 8MB and a 80MB internal drive.  A couple of days ago, I
was changing the hard drive to different icons, just to play around and see
what was what, when I decided to give my hard drive back its Facade icon (
gotta luv Facade :) ).  I go ahead and change an application into the desired
icon along with the related icl#, and ics#, and then I do then copy and paste
trick and bingo the icon is changed.  No problems.  But today I notice that the
hard drive's name is misspellled( Now is it Sylvester or Slyvester, hmmm ;) ).
I go and click on the drive to change it and, voila, nothing. Doesn't hi-lite,
doesn't change the cursor, nada.  The funny thing is that this isn't an error
to the finder.  If you turn on Ballon Help and go on the hard drive's name, the
ballon says that the hard drive name cannot be changed.  So the finder thinks
everything is hunky-dorry.  The other strange thing is that this happened to
a co-worker of mine who works in the same office with an identical IIci.  So
this is a reproducable bug/feature, don't know exactly how to reproduce it
but hey at least I saw it happen twice.  So the answer should be easy, some
flag has been set, now the only problem is how to switch it off.  Any ideas?

Now for the neat feature of the finder:  In the Finder, hold down the Option
key, Pull down the Apple Menu and select About the Finder...  What you will
see is the original About the Finder picture.  Kinda neat.

Thanks for reading this far,
Brian Moore
DCO Macintosh Consultant
ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu

schaerer@ifi.unizh.ch (*) (05/23/91)

Brian Moore <ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu> writes:

[...]
> The problem is that my hard drive's icon is locked
> along with the name of the hard drive.

Maybe you have published something via the File Sharing feature? I think
the name of a volume can't be changed in this case.

Daniel Schaerer

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May23.021929.11315@zip.eecs.umich.edu>, ziff@eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) writes:
|> Now for the neat feature of the finder:  In the Finder, hold down the Option
|> key, Pull down the Apple Menu and select About the Finder...  What you will
|> see is the original About the Finder picture.  Kinda neat.

	I like this feature a lot, reminds of the good ol' days. Now, if you
leave the mountains up long enoughm you'l get to see the names of everybody
how ever had anything to do with the Macintosh finder from day 0 crawl
across the bottom of the picture. The list starts out with developers
1988-1991, continues with "contributors" (what ever that means) and then
lists the names from 1984-1988. Then it starts to recycle the 1988-1991
list. Takes about 2 or 3 minutes to get through the entire display once.
(Hey, it may actually take a lot less but when your just sitting there
watching a slow parade of names it seems like several minutes).
	Pretty neat I'd say (or "way cool" for you modern folk).
	Peter C
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) (05/24/91)

Well here's and update on the System 7.0 problem I was having.  Some people
told me to do the obvious and switch off File Sharing.  I tried that first
and it didn't fix my problem.  What I was told that had some promise was to
check for a folder I had permitted to the network with the "Can't be moved
renamed or deleted" check box set on.  This would cause me problems.  Sure
enough I had one folder that I also couldn't change it name and it did have
that bit set.  I turned the bit off and nothing happened.  Still can rename
either the folder or the disk.  I threw out the folder to see if that would do
the trick, but that didn't help either.  Well back to square one.

An interesting side note is about the about finder box I mentioned.  Somebody
said that the dialog box would start scrolling names. I didn't notice this
becuase it won't work on my Mac.  On my co-worker's Mac it will change the
arrow cursor to a smiley face and then scroll the names.  Of course he still
can't change his hard drive icon.

Any more ideas out there?

Brian Moore
DCO Macintosh Cosultant
ziff@zip.eecs.umich.edu

gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (George Owen) (05/24/91)

In article <@zip.eecs.umich.edu> ziff@eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) writes:
>First the strangeness.
>OK I've got a real interesting problem for you people, and I think this might
>be a common problem codsidering I've only been running System 7.0 for a week
>and managed to do this.  The problem is that my hard drive's icon is locked
>along with the name of the hard drive.  Now here's the basic situation.  I've
> etc ,etc        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 ... it's not a bug. Try turning file sharing off. Then you can change the
  name of your hard disk.  ( probably screws things up if sharing is on )

          - G -

*                 George Owen (gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca)               *
* University of Toronto  -  Computing Services  -  Toronto , Canada       *

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May24.000614.4196@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, gwowen@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (George Owen) writes:
|> In article <@zip.eecs.umich.edu> ziff@eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) writes:
|> >First the strangeness.
|> >OK I've got a real interesting problem for you people, and I think this might
|> >be a common problem codsidering I've only been running System 7.0 for a week
|> >and managed to do this.  The problem is that my hard drive's icon is locked
|> >along with the name of the hard drive.  Now here's the basic situation.  I've
|> > etc ,etc        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|>
|>  ... it's not a bug. Try turning file sharing off. Then you can change the
|>   name of your hard disk.  ( probably screws things up if sharing is on )

Do I have to throw away the network extension in order to achieve that?
No, seriously, even if I have turned off file sharing, I can't neither rename
nor change the icon on my Apple harddisk. Are there any other things that
depend on locking the HD name and Icon? My system: Mac IIfx 16 MB virtual,
8 MB physical, 160 MB Apple HD, Sys 7 Golden, Several usefull inits,
(BTW, anybody knows why the compat checker gives an "obsolete" for the ballon
writer init?), a PLI 45 MB cartridge drive (where I can rename the drive and
give it a new icon). I also tried switching off VM, but that didn't solve the
problem.

Any help greatly appreciated.
please reply via e-mail to: breidenb@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Thanks in advance.

Oliver.

And, guys, even though I can't rename my hd any more, System 7 is IT!

--- .sign for sale. Call 1-800-SIGN. Serious offers only.

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.021929.11315@zip.eecs.umich.edu> ziff@eecs.umich.edu (Brian Moore) writes:
[...]
>Now for the neat feature of the finder:  In the Finder, hold down the Option
>key, Pull down the Apple Menu and select About the Finder...  What you will
>see is the original About the Finder picture.  Kinda neat.
>
>Thanks for reading this far,
>Brian Moore

Hold down the command and option key when you do this and the cursor
changes into a goofy face.

Either way, if you leave the picture up the copyright notice at the bottom
of the picture starts scrolling. It displays the people who developed
the current Finder, then the teams for the previous Finders, and then
the team for the Lisa Desktop Manager. Eventualy it starts over.

Open the monitors Control Panel, hold the option key down and click on
the version number (7.0). If you are really interested, while holding
the mouse button down release and reapply the option key about a dozen
times to see what happens. Keep doing this a while.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud  | Sys-

jfw@neuro (John F. Whitehead) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May23.162234.14398@viewlogic.com> peter@suntan.viewlogic.com
    (Peter Colby) writes:
>	I like this feature a lot, reminds of the good ol' days. Now, if you
>leave the mountains up long enoughm you'l get to see the names of everybody
>how ever had anything to do with the Macintosh finder from day 0 crawl
>across the bottom of the picture.

It even credits the developers of the Lisa Desktop Manager!

    John Whitehead                     Internet:  jfw@neuro.duke.edu
    Department of Neurobiology                    jfw@well.sf.ca.us
    Duke University Medical Center     Bitnet:    white002@dukemc
    Durham, North Carolina

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May24.163659.11610@silvlis.com>, jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes...
>Open the monitors Control Panel, hold the option key down and click on
>the version number (7.0). If you are really interested, while holding
>the mouse button down release and reapply the option key about a dozen
>times to see what happens. Keep doing this a while.

Oh, now this is cute!! Thanks, Apple, you made my night!

Richard C. Long | long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com            | Selfware: If you like
--------------- | ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long | this program, send
A First Edition | long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com | yourself five bucks!