[comp.sys.mac.system] .image madness

youngdah@nic.gac.edu (Ben Youngdahl) (05/23/91)

Well I've looked through the past three hundred or so articles here on
comp.sys.mac.system and have noted a number of people asking what the heck is
to be done with the .image files of system 7.0.  Would somebody like to post to
this group a solution to this problem?

Please don't send me e-mail w/ what to do.  I'd imagine there are a few other
people out there who can't figure out what to do with the .image files ...

Thanks in advance,

*  All opinions, stupid comments, rude gestures, or verbal dribble above is  *
*  purely the work of the corrupted, and otherwise deranged  mind of:        *
*                                                                            *
*  Ben Youngdahl                 Internet:  youngdah@nic.gac.edu             *
*  Gustavus Adolphus College     Internet:  youngdahl@gacvx1.gac.edu         *
*  St. Peter, MN  56082  USA       Bitnet:  youngdahl@gacvax1.bitnet         *

"Not Mother?" - Ruprekt the monkey-boy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrals

hrose@eff.org (Helen Trillian Rose) (05/23/91)

What to do with disk images->
(1) ftp diskcopy 4.2 from ftp.apple.com (130.43.2.3). It's in the
directory /dts/utils as diskcopy-4-2.hqx
(2) ftp the diskcopy readme from ftp.apple.com.
/dts/utils/diskcopy-readme
(3) read the readme, and run diskcopy. :-)

hope this helps someone out there.

--Helen
--

Helen Trillian Rose
<hrose@cs.bu.edu, hrose@cobalt.cco.caltech.edu, hrose@eff.org>

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (05/23/91)

>people out there who can't figure out what to do with the .image files ...

FTP back to ftp.apple.com and get diskcopy-4-2.hqx.  You can use this
program to "make" the disks.  It's a simple program.  You read in the
.image and then copy the read image to a floppy.  Note that it has
been stated by several Apple employees (and others) that this is the
way to go;  do not use mountimage.

Todd
--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail: tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

neeri@iis.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.181936.223@gacvx2.gac.edu> youngdah@nic.gac.edu (Ben Youngdahl) writes:
>Well I've looked through the past three hundred or so articles here on
>comp.sys.mac.system and have noted a number of people asking what the heck is
>to be done with the .image files of system 7.0.  Would somebody like to post to
>this group a solution to this problem?
>
>Please don't send me e-mail w/ what to do.  I'd imagine there are a few other
>people out there who can't figure out what to do with the .image files ...

These image files can be made into disks with DiskCopy (the newest version can
be found on ftp.apple.com) or the MountImage cdev (available on an ftp server
near you. Don't install from image files mounted with MountImage cdev, though.

Hope this helps

Matthias

-----
Matthias Neeracher                                      neeri@iis.ethz.ch
   "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can
    even aspire to crudeness." -- William Gibson, _Johnny Mnemonic_

Leo.Bores@p25.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Leo Bores) (05/25/91)

 BY>From: youngdah@nic.gac.edu (Ben Youngdahl)

 BY>heck is
 BY>to be done with the .image files of system 7.0.  Would somebody like to

Use DiskCopy to process these image files onto individual 800K disks.

Leo Bores

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!15.25!Leo.Bores
Internet: Leo.Bores@p25.f15.n114.z1.fidonet.org