[comp.sys.mac.system] SKIP/NEWSGROUPRe: Alert Alert! FIX!

kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (05/26/91)

In article <1991May26.025940.3693@wlbr.imsd.contel.com>, fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) writes:
> In article <1991May25.000431.47054@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:
>>  Is anyone else running into alerts that don't fully display on the screen in
>>system 7?  (I'm running 7 golden, Mac Plus accelerated to 25Mhz)
> If you mean that the dialog box is completely displayed, but that the text
> dissappears off the bottom/side, yes I get the same thing.

Not quite, I meant the dialog just didn't completely show up...*sigh*...

I opted for the brute force method, and used resedit to re-adjust all the
dialogs.  Around half of them were set to show up at the 0,0 screen position.
This just happened to be covered by the menu bar, therefore, the dialogs and
alerts wouldn't completely show up.  This editing by Resedit might have been
treating the symptom and not the cause...but it worked...;)

> Similarly, in HyperCard 2.0v2, for example, I get partial text in some of
> the Stack labels.

I've only run into that situation once, and that was with a desk accesory I use
to initialize the serial/parrallel converter I use to talk to my laser printer.
(a HP LJII clone...).  Other than that, I've had no troubles, (though I haven't
used Hypercard 2.0v2 yet...)

> Perhaps this is some wierd conflict between TrueType and ATM?  The best
> I've been able to do fontwise is install all of the fonts that HyperCard
> wants into the System file, all of its associated TrueType fonts there
> as well (except for those that are incorporated into my the laser printer),
> and then put the laser fonts for the remaining bitmap fonts into the
> System Folder (at the same level as the System file).  ["the remaining
> bitmap fonts" refers to Palatino, Courier, Helvetica, and the like --
> although I was somewhat surprised when HyperCard complained that I
> didn't have Palatino 24 installed when it is most certainly in my
> System file.]
>
> For the remaining fonts, I have several folders/subfolders that are referred
> to by Suitcase II.  These are for the Type 1 fonts that HyperCard doesn't
> know about (and thus complain about -- talk about user-unfriendly!!), and
> which I don't want to clutter up my System Folder & System file with.
>
> Definitely a problem with this situation though...

No doubt, there is a problem here.  I'll try and remember NOT to use Hypercard
any more than I have to...;)

\  Ken Corey, VAX/Unix Programmer/Operator  (And GOD am I confused...;)  /
 \          kenc@vaxb.acs.unt.edu  ken@isect.lonestar.org               /