[comp.sys.mac.system] This is how you get color icons

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) (05/16/91)

   Since so many people are starting to struggle with sticking color icons in
the Get Info windows, I'm going to post how to do it.  Pardon the basic
language, but not everybody is a computer wiz.

   Use ResEdit to open the icl8 icon you want.  Open it all the way down to the
fat bits editor level.

   Look at the toolbox on the left.  There is a selector in the top right
corner. Select it, and select the entire icon from corner to diagonally
opposite corner.  Now do a Copy from the Edit menu.

   If you want to check yourself here, you can look at the clipboard from the
Finder Edit menu.  If the icon you want is there you're ok.  If it's not you
did something wrong.

   Assuming you see the icon, do a Get Info on whatever you want to stick the
icon in (your hard drive, an application, etc).  Now click on the icon in the
upper left corner and do a Paste from the Edit menu.  Your color icon should
appear just as you asked.

   Now the strange thing I can't explain.  If you highlight an icon in ResEdit
and do a copy command, you don't get the icon onto the clipboard.  You can
paste inside ResEdit, but it won't go into a Get Info window.  That's what
most people try (myself included) and it doesn't work.  Maybe some of the
technical types out there can explain.  Any takers?

Jon

p.s. - if anyone has the final sys 7, please tell me how I can get a copy.

jsm@apple.com (Jeff Miller) (05/17/91)

In article <UcAUCM600WB7AAkVxq@andrew.cmu.edu>, jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:

>    Now the strange thing I can't explain.  If you highlight an icon in ResEdit
> and do a copy command, you don't get the icon onto the clipboard.  You can
> paste inside ResEdit, but it won't go into a Get Info window.  That's what
> most people try (myself included) and it doesn't work.  Maybe some of the
> technical types out there can explain.  Any takers?
>
> Jon

As the guy who did a lot of the work implementing custom icon pasting in the Finder, maybe
I can shed some light on this...

Basically, the Paste menu item for icons in the Get Info window is enabled only if there
is a PICT and/or an ICN# in the scrap.  Just copying an icl8 from ResEdit won't do it,
we need the ICN# to get the mask information.  You can get ResEdit to copy both types
to the scrap at once, but it's a little tricky.  You have to create one and only one
resource of each type you want (again, making sure at least one is an ICN#), then go to
the view by type window in ResEdit.  You can then shift select icl8, ICN#, etc. and copy
them to the scrap.  Since ResEdit copies all resources with the selected type, it's
important that only one resource for each type exists.  Kludgy, I know, but as we at
Apple like to say:  "What a great third party opportunity."

Some other notes:  If you have a choice, you'll probably get better results using real
icons rather than PICTs, since we try to algorithmically generate the mask for pictures.
If both a PICT and ICN# are in the scrap, we'll use the real icons first.  This can
happen fairly often, since when you copy an icon from the Get Info window we take all
the file's icons as well as generating a picture and putting it on the scrap.  This
lets you paste pictures of your icons into other programs, as well as letting the Finder
exactly replicate the icon information from one file to another.

Jeff

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/19/91)

Jonathan Pace writes in a message to All

JP>  Now the strange thing I can't explain. If you highlight an icon
JP> in ResEdit and do a copy command, you don't get the icon onto
JP> the clipboard. You can paste inside ResEdit, but it won't go
JP> into a Get Info window. That's what most people try (myself included)
JP> and it doesn't work. Maybe some of the technical types out there
JP> can explain. Any takers?

When you do "Copy" from within ResEdit, what gets copied is the icl8 resource only.  What you have to paste into the Get Info window is a PICT.  When you try to paste the icl8 into the Get Info window, nothing happens because it doesn't know what to do with that resource.  The way to convert the icl8 is to select the bits in the editor and copy them as you suggest.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (05/22/91)

jp48+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan Pace) writes:

>   Since so many people are starting to struggle with sticking color icons in
>the Get Info windows, I'm going to post how to do it.  Pardon the basic
>language, but not everybody is a computer wiz.

>   Assuming you see the icon, do a Get Info on whatever you want to stick the
>icon in (your hard drive, an application, etc).  Now click on the icon in the
>upper left corner and do a Paste from the Edit menu.  Your color icon should
>appear just as you asked.

What about icons in get info boxes which, when selected, allow only
the copy option? (The cut, paste, &c were grayed.) No, I haven't
checked the Balloon Help--I'll try it when i get home...
--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_:
"An item in Thursday's [issue] about the Massachusetts budget crisis
made reference to new taxes that will help put Massachusetts 'back in
the African-American.' The item should have said 'back in the black.'"

jsm@apple.com (Jeff Miller) (05/26/91)

In article <kiran.674906171@copper>, kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) writes:
> What about icons in get info boxes which, when selected, allow only
> the copy option? (The cut, paste, &c were grayed.) No, I haven't
> checked the Balloon Help--I'll try it when i get home...
> --
> 	...kiran
> 		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

Files with the locked bit set in the file info (previously referred to as
the System bit in 6.0) cannot be given a custom icon.  That's why only
Copy is enabled when you select the icon.

Jeff Miller
Macintosh System Software
jsm@apple.com

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/26/91)

In article <13671@goofy.Apple.COM> jsm@apple.com (Jeff Miller) writes:
>In article <kiran.674906171@copper>, kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) writes:
>> What about icons in get info boxes which, when selected, allow only
>> the copy option? (The cut, paste, &c were grayed.) No, I haven't
>
>Files with the locked bit set in the file info (previously referred to as
>the System bit in 6.0) cannot be given a custom icon.  That's why only
>Copy is enabled when you select the icon.

If I "Get File/Folder Info" on the HD with ResEdit 2.1 it shows that the
"System" Bit is set. Could this be the reason, why I can't change the HDs name
nor the Icon? If so, how can I switch this bit? ResEdit refuses to "Save" the
changes...
Rebooting from another disk doesn't help either... :-(

Any help would be appreciated...

Oliver.

--- .sign 7.0b1:

This is a .sign. If you like it, keep it in mind... ;-)