[comp.sys.mac.system] System 7: Crash and Burn...

farmer@ecs.umass.edu (THE MAD MUSKRAT) (05/24/91)

Hi,

More fun and excitement in the still buggy land of System 7.  I have happily
(with emphasis added) been using 7 for nearly a week now without a glitch
(other than installing the bugger).  Then suddenly some wierdness happened:

I decided to open the color cdev (despite the fact that I was on a B&W SE/30,
just curious) and my hard drive started to run.  I ran for ~3 minutes before I
hit the programmer's switch, at which point the drive light stayed on and I was
in macbug.  I tried a 'es' and an 'rs' to no avail...and finally hit the
reset switch.

Now my mac rebooted, the happy mac came up, and then the drive stopped
running (before I even saw the welcome to macintosh).  Then just the blinking
question mark.  I restarted again, and same problem.  By this point you can
image my undergarments were tinted.....

I booted on floppy (fortunately I had made a floppy boot for just such an
emergency) and my mac and hard-drive came up!!  I took my system out of the
system folder and copied the system from my floppy boot in it's place.  Now I
rebooted without a problem.

However, all my fonts were in my nuked system.....Now the fun begins!!

I tried to use ResEdit 2.1 to verify my bad system.  I got most of the way
through and told me that there was indeed an error -39 (which I looked up and
it appears to be an unexpected EOF error).  Fine, resedit asked me if I wished
to repair the file...Naturally I did.  Then resedit informed me I was out of
disk space (a legitimate gripe).  So after much compression I had 4 Meg free
(my system file is only 2.5Meg big).

Now resedit was kind enough to try the recovery.  When it got going it
informed me it was dangerously low on memory.  So I kicked it up to 2.5Meg of
my Ram and tried again (I gave the same error when I gave it 1.5 -- even
though the recommeneded amount is ~500K).

Now things were going and I was hopefull.  However half way through the
repair resedit hung!  I tried three times with duplicate problem.  Naturally
of course I had yet to back up my TT fonts (though I could re-ftp them).  So
I am to blame for my own bad luck I suppose.

Finally, I have dumped the system in the trash, and I am working on getting
my fonts back.

I just decided to post this long winded story to see if anyone else has had
similar problems..

BTW my system is:
Mac se/30
5Meg RAM
40Meg internal sony drive (apple issue)

Also, when are we going to see a sys7 compatible norton or symantic utilities
(I would have ordered it immediately)??

happy mac'ing once again,

Matt Farmer
internet:      farmer@ecs.umass.edu
               farmer@saturn.ucc.umass.edu

tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Thomas Lunde) (05/25/91)

In article <13809.283cfa73@ecs.umass.edu> farmer@ecs.umass.edu (THE MAD MUSKRAT) writes:

>I decided to open the color cdev (despite the fact that I was on a B&W SE/30,
>just curious) and my hard drive started to run.  I ran for ~3 minutes before I
>hit the programmer's switch, at which point the drive light stayed on and I was
>in macbug.  I tried a 'es' and an 'rs' to no avail...and finally hit the
>reset switch.
>
>Now my mac rebooted, the happy mac came up, and then the drive stopped
>running (before I even saw the welcome to macintosh).  Then just the blinking
>question mark.  I restarted again, and same problem.  By this point you can
>image my undergarments were tinted.....
>
>BTW my system is:
>Mac se/30
>5Meg RAM
>40Meg internal sony drive (apple issue)
>
>Matt Farmer
>internet:      farmer@ecs.umass.edu
>               farmer@saturn.ucc.umass.edu

Like the other System 7 bug reports, I tried this one.  Unlike the other
System 7 bug reports, this one actually crashed my system.

DO NOT TRY TO REPRODUCE THIS CRASH UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO REFORMAT
YOUR SYSTEM DISK AFTERWARDS!

After the choosing the color extension, I hit the popup items and looked at
the menus.  Fine.  When I hit the close box, the drive started to whir and
the light went on.  Like Matt I waited a while, and then gave up and hit
the Reset switch.  When the system tried to reboot, I saw the happy mac,
and then got a Sad Mac error code when the screen went black.  I believe
the error code was all 0s and an F on the first line and 0s then 2?
on the second line (the ? is a place holder - I'm not sure of the actual
character).

My system is identical to Matt's except that I have an Apple installed
Quantum 40M internal.  Also (and what saved me) I have an external 85M.
After rebooting from an old locked floppy, the drive mounted normally.
Disk First Aid stated that there was a problem it could not fix on the
Internal drive.  Fine.  So I copied all of the stuff except for the now
corrupted System file to the other drive and reformatted the internal.

Here's where it gets odd:

After reinstalling from orignal 7 disks (I got the HD images just last night),
I tried to reproduce the crash.  NOTHING HAPPENED!  So, what caused the
problem I do not know.

If anyone is interested (particularly someone from Apple's testing dept.)
in following up on this, I can provide a list of concurrently running programs
and installed extensions.

--
                                   | People around here have a tendency to like
Thomas Lunde                       | to jump up and down and scream a lot.
tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu        |          -- Jon Hamilton
                                   |    hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu

fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Frank D. Malczewski) (05/25/91)

Without quoting the earlier two posts...

I had the same thing happen to me with the Colors cdev, in that when
I moused the popup menu to select a different window border scheme,
and then chose it, there was a very long pause.  I thought seriously
about hitting the debugger and/or the reboot switch, but decided to
let it run a bit longer.  Apparently I made the right choice, as
I finally did get new window border colors, and I can still use my
internal hard disk.

So, if you get similar behavior with the Colors cdev, let it finish!!!!

--Frank Malczewski                        (fdm@wlv.imsd.contel.com)

nerm@Apple.COM (Dean Yu) (05/25/91)

In article <13809.283cfa73@ecs.umass.edu> farmer@ecs.umass.edu (THE MAD MUSKRAT) writes:
>Hi,
>
>More fun and excitement in the still buggy land of System 7.  I have happily
>(with emphasis added) been using 7 for nearly a week now without a glitch
>(other than installing the bugger).  Then suddenly some wierdness happened:
>
>I decided to open the color cdev (despite the fact that I was on a B&W SE/30,
>just curious) and my hard drive started to run.  I ran for ~3 minutes before I
>hit the programmer's switch, at which point the drive light stayed on and I was
>in macbug.  I tried a 'es' and an 'rs' to no avail...and finally hit the
>reset switch.
>
>Now my mac rebooted, the happy mac came up, and then the drive stopped
>running (before I even saw the welcome to macintosh).  Then just the blinking
>question mark.  I restarted again, and same problem.  By this point you can
>image my undergarments were tinted.....

  When you first use a control panel that will write something to the System
file, it tends to take a while.  This is because most of the resources in
the System are compressed, and the control panel is writing an uncompressed
resource in which causes some stuff to get shuffled around.
  The Color control panel used to bring up a dialog box saying that it was
saving your cool new colours to the System and would you please wait, but that
got taken out when we thought we got the delay down enough that a dialog was
deemed unnecessary.  (Did that make any sense?  It barely did to me...)
  So by restarting your computer, you pretty much hosed your System file.
And MacsBug's rs command doesn't work under 7.0 any more.  (At least the rs
in the last publicly release version of MacsBug...)
  In short, if anyone is playing with the control panels, and it seems to be
taking forever before you can do anything again, go grab a can of Pepsi,
Dew, whatever and hang loose for a little bit.

  -- Dean Yu
     Blue Meanie, Negative Ethnic Role Model, etc.
     Apple Compuer, Inc.
     blah blah blah blah...

chai@hawk.cs.ukans.edu (Ian Chai) (05/27/91)

Man, hearing stories like this, and the fact that one of
my HDs crashed on me a couple of months after I bought my
tape backup macihine, really convinces me that it was well
worth the $650 (to get the tape backup.) It's so easy and
painless to back up frequently since I got it.

--
Ian Chai      Internet: chai@cs.ukans.edu        Bitnet: 665instr@ukanvax
I don't believe in flaming. If I appear to be flaming, either (a) it's an